D2D L/H/Annuities Tracker

One of the reasons I decided on trying to secure one-minute introduction was based on this guy's training. Be sure to watch all 3 parts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXLbFqa7XU

It's based on MLM training (which I think is more advanced than the generic prospecting training in insurance and financial planning)... but it makes it very simple.

Now, I can't give a presentation in 1 minute for people to buy my product... but I can do it for people to buy an appointment with me.

That's amazing. I actually had my basic types of life insurance presentation down to about 90 seconds with full hand drawn illustrations and pros vs cons of each one. That's fantastic man.

Let me help you a bit: That tactic isn't about building trust. It's about interrupting someone's NATURAL tendency to just be thinking of a way to get rid of you.

I get all kinds of salespeople coming to my door - and 100% of them SUCK at it. There was one girl that I did buy a new cable package, and the reason was really because my remote control was worn out and I needed a new one. I was in "CURRENT PAIN" and that was the reason I bought. (Hated their service, switched back and still got the new remote from the previous service.)

But most of these people try to "trick" you into building rapport by asking a question like "how long have you lived here?" without asking me if I was interested in buying new windows or whatever. I know what they're doing better than they do, and I know when I can try to leave the conversation politely, but then they keep talking - thinking that if they keep talking, they're increasing their chances of a sale... but I keep closing the door. Yeah, I'm 'that' guy.

I wasn't a prospect for them, primarily because of how I responded to their amateurish approach. It's all about how people respond to YOU and your professionalism.

Your job is to interrupt that natural tendency by offering a 'deal'. No, not your product, but a quick 'deal'.

"May I take a quick minute to introduce myself and my professional services, and then you can tell me what you think?"

What will happen in their mind? They'll be thinking "That sounds safe. I'd be pretty rude to not let someone at least introduce themselves. So I guess I'll listen and THEN tell them to leave, because I bet that's what I'll think after I hear them out." And subtly, you have taken control of the interaction.

Now you have a full minute to explain who you are and what you do. You can even ask a question or two in there. They'll know when you're done when you simply ask "what do you think?" and they'll tell you.
- If it's positive, you can simply ask "Do you think it would be a good idea for us to get together at a more convenient time to talk some more about this?"

At least you'll have a shot at them having a more open mind than what you've had before - and that's the name of the game.

Now, when you have this minute, I don't know your training, your angle, or your offering... but it's far more profitable to help people to SOLVE problems, rather than just trying to sell product. If you're just talking about your product, it's all about you. If you talk about common problems, you're talking about them - or at least you're trying to.

Remember this: A no is not truly a no, until you know that they know what they are saying no to.

If you're not clear in who you are and what you do, that will cause you to quit and burn out faster in your prospecting than anything else - and it's your own fault because you instinctively know why you're being turned down. By asking for a quick minute, it's ultra-professional, and then it's ultra-professional to talk about problems that you can help people solve.

Wheeeeew! That's some knowledge right there. Thanks for the help DHK. My training is coming from you guys and this thread. No one from my brokerage has ever prospected D2D so no help there other than product training. I'm definitely finding my groove and confidence more at the doors and your guys tips are helping a lot.

Today I worked on using "Did I catch you at a good time?" Right after I introduce myself and hand over the business card. Most people either say some form of "No" but let me proceed anyways unless they are completely uninterested.

Just like you mentioned DHK, they are either being polite and hear me out or are actually somewhat interested. My weekend studying will be focused on being better at communicating the problems that I can help families solve by qualifying for a life policy and watching the videos you recommended DHK.

Other than financial security for the beneficiary, what are some other common problems that resonate well with a prospect that life insurance can solve? Or is it just breaking the financial security topic into smaller problems like paying mortgage, credit card debt, income replacement, college funding...

Thanks for the help guys and taking time out of your Saturday!

Today's stats: 50 doors knocked from 11-1:30, 18 contacted, 3 leads and 1 appointment.

Posted a reply on Saturday but I guess it got lost somewhere.

Anyways, thanks DHK and WB for the insight there. I worked on using "Did I catch you at a good time" on saturday and it did exactly what it was suppose to do. Gave me the minute to introduce myself and get across my pitch. I'm still not having great success with getting in the door right then but I believe this tactic is going to help a lot with setting more appointments.

Saturday results, only got out for 3 hours. 50 doors knocked, 18 contacts, 3 leads, 1 appointment

Posted a reply on Saturday but I guess it got lost somewhere.

Anyways, thanks DHK and WB for the insight there. I worked on using "Did I catch you at a good time" on saturday and it did exactly what it was suppose to do. Gave me the minute to introduce myself and get across my pitch. I'm still not having great success with getting in the door right then but I believe this tactic is going to help a lot with setting more appointments.

Saturday results, only got out for 3 hours. 50 doors knocked, 18 contacts, 3 leads, 1 appointment

Those aren't bad numbers!

First, the # of doors knocked... doesn't matter. That's only a sign of your EFFORT.

18 contacts = people spoke to.
3 Leads = 1 out of 6 agreed to future contact (16%)
1 Appointment = 1 out of 3 agreed to meet with you. (33%)

What I don't know is what your offer is to see if we can help you to improve on that. WB and I both use more of a planning or problem-solving approach, so more people will see that it's in their own self-interest to meet with us. They'll want to meet with you for THEIR reasons, not yours.

In my opinion:
- If you're peddling product = lowest effectiveness
- If you're selling your process (and how smart you are) = a little better
- If you're helping people to solve THEIR problems = the best offer you can make.

If you need some hints as to what most people need help with, check out LIMRA's life insurance awareness month and "Facts of Life" statistics. My favorite one was from 2013.

Help enough people with their problems, yours disappear. Help enough other people get what they want... you can have everything you want.

Attachments

• Facts-Life-2013.pdf
    757.4 KB · Views: 42
Yeeeeeees! Glad to hear my prospecting numbers aren't absolutely terrible. Thanks for running those calculations DHK, I'll try to add those when I post numbers from now on.

Just read the LIMRA article during my fifteen minute car break from the 90 degree CO heat. No A/C in my ride though, I think it motivates me to sell more so I can buy a car with A/C haha.

Lots of good info in the article, I'm gonna check the articles from other years later tonight as well.

As for my approach, I'm definitely a firm believer in "you must add value to someone's life before they add value to yours". I agree pedaling product is going to get me knowwhere, especially when the product is life insurance.

I'm tailoring my added value approach as an introduction to securing a safe financial future. Now I'm still learning and I don't have as much knowledge as a DHK or WB (hopefully one day) but I've noticed a lot of contacts dont even know the ins and outs of their 401k or Roth IRA. Simple topics like that I can help address and show how life insurance supppements those accounts. A ton of other contacts don't understand what their work policy covers so I'm trying to crack that nutshell. Some one posted a good line earlier in the forum along the lines of "we love people who have life insurance through work, you understand the value of it. Say do you know about how much of a benefit a month you would leave your family if you were to pass away?" I like the effectiveness of this strategy but still work policy holders are hard to crack..

Alright past my 15 minutes, back out to the pavement!

----------

Monday 8/28

55 Doors hit, got sucked into a few conversations that were time drainers. (gotta learn how to politely leave when no help is needed)

19 Contacts
3 Leads (15.7%)
2 appointments (66%) (1 sit down on the spot for small WL policy, other scheduled later this week for 2 600K IUL policies for younger couple)

The heat is still pretty exhausting up in the mountains of CO, nowhere near WB's AZ conditions, but I'm hoping to double my doors knocked and numbers by end of week.

55 Doors hit, got sucked into a few conversations that were time drainers. (gotta learn how to politely leave when no help is needed)

Strategic use of a business card or flyer can help you.

How many times has anyone ever called you from you handing them a business card? I've handed out thousands of cards over the years... and ZERO have called me.

So... if you need to step away, simply say "I do need to be going now. Can you think of any way I can be of help?" "No, not really." "Okay, well, if you think of anything, here's my card and I'll be happy to come back out and help how I can."

They won't call. :)

Yeeeeeees! Glad to hear my prospecting numbers aren't absolutely terrible. Thanks for running those calculations DHK, I'll try to add those when I post numbers from now on.

Just read the LIMRA article during my fifteen minute car break from the 90 degree CO heat. No A/C in my ride though, I think it motivates me to sell more so I can buy a car with A/C haha.

Lots of good info in the article, I'm gonna check the articles from other years later tonight as well.

As for my approach, I'm definitely a firm believer in "you must add value to someone's life before they add value to yours". I agree pedaling product is going to get me knowwhere, especially when the product is life insurance.

I'm tailoring my added value approach as an introduction to securing a safe financial future. Now I'm still learning and I don't have as much knowledge as a DHK or WB (hopefully one day) but I've noticed a lot of contacts dont even know the ins and outs of their 401k or Roth IRA. Simple topics like that I can help address and show how life insurance supppements those accounts. A ton of other contacts don't understand what their work policy covers so I'm trying to crack that nutshell. Some one posted a good line earlier in the forum along the lines of "we love people who have life insurance through work, you understand the value of it. Say do you know about how much of a benefit a month you would leave your family if you were to pass away?" I like the effectiveness of this strategy but still work policy holders are hard to crack..

Alright past my 15 minutes, back out to the pavement! ��

----------

Monday 8/28

19 Contacts
3 Leads (15.7%)
2 appointments (66%) (1 sit down on the spot for small WL policy, other scheduled later this week for 2 600K IUL policies for younger couple)

The heat is still pretty exhausting up in the mountains of CO, nowhere near WB's AZ conditions, but I'm hoping to double my doors knocked and numbers by end of week.

One thing to point out to people is that when they got their work policy is that when they signed up for it, the application was for supplemental coverage for voluntary election. BECAUSE IT'S ONLY MEANT TO BE SUPPLEMENTAL

Let me help you a bit: That tactic isn't about building trust. It's about interrupting someone's NATURAL tendency to just be thinking of a way to get rid of you.

I get all kinds of salespeople coming to my door - and 100% of them SUCK at it. There was one girl that I did buy a new cable package, and the reason was really because my remote control was worn out and I needed a new one. I was in "CURRENT PAIN" and that was the reason I bought. (Hated their service, switched back and still got the new remote from the previous service.)

But most of these people try to "trick" you into building rapport by asking a question like "how long have you lived here?" without asking me if I was interested in buying new windows or whatever. I know what they're doing better than they do, and I know when I can try to leave the conversation politely, but then they keep talking - thinking that if they keep talking, they're increasing their chances of a sale... but I keep closing the door. Yeah, I'm 'that' guy.

I wasn't a prospect for them, primarily because of how I responded to their amateurish approach. It's all about how people respond to YOU and your professionalism.

Your job is to interrupt that natural tendency by offering a 'deal'. No, not your product, but a quick 'deal'.

"May I take a quick minute to introduce myself and my professional services, and then you can tell me what you think?"

What will happen in their mind? They'll be thinking "That sounds safe. I'd be pretty rude to not let someone at least introduce themselves. So I guess I'll listen and THEN tell them to leave, because I bet that's what I'll think after I hear them out." And subtly, you have taken control of the interaction.

Now you have a full minute to explain who you are and what you do. You can even ask a question or two in there. They'll know when you're done when you simply ask "what do you think?" and they'll tell you.
- If it's positive, you can simply ask "Do you think it would be a good idea for us to get together at a more convenient time to talk some more about this?"

At least you'll have a shot at them having a more open mind than what you've had before - and that's the name of the game.

Now, when you have this minute, I don't know your training, your angle, or your offering... but it's far more profitable to help people to SOLVE problems, rather than just trying to sell product. If you're just talking about your product, it's all about you. If you talk about common problems, you're talking about them - or at least you're trying to.

Remember this: A no is not truly a no, until you know that they know what they are saying no to.

If you're not clear in who you are and what you do, that will cause you to quit and burn out faster in your prospecting than anything else - and it's your own fault because you instinctively know why you're being turned down. By asking for a quick minute, it's ultra-professional, and then it's ultra-professional to talk about problems that you can help people solve.

LOVING this thread. Would love some feedback on a D2D script I worked up based on DHK's post.
[[[ "May I take a quick moment to introduce myself and my professional services, and then you can tell me what you think?
I’m Zemo, a Financial Advisor with BigMutual, and I’m focusing my practice on your neighborhood.
I help families and individuals make sure they have enough income for a comfortable retirement, reduce the chance for loss in their investments, I help them pay less taxes and I help them make sure there’s enough money to live the life you’re accustomed to if something happens to one of the main breadwinners, and I can often do this by reallocating instead of increasing the amount of money you’re putting away.
Well, what do you think?" ]]

Well, what do YOU think?

Pretty good, but instead of "I can often do this by reallocating instead of increasing the amount of money you’re putting away." ... I would say something more like:
"I can often help you do all this without taking more money out of your pocket or changing your lifestyle"
or
"I can help you to double or triple your annual savings plan without impacting your budget."

Keep it simple. Try to avoid 'finance' terminology. "Reallocating" is terminology.

I think you're on the right track.

LOVING this thread. Would love some feedback on a D2D script I worked up based on DHK's post.
[[[ "May I take a quick moment to introduce myself and my professional services, and then you can tell me what you think?
I’m Zemo, a Financial Advisor with BigMutual, and I’m focusing my practice on your neighborhood.
I help families and individuals make sure they have enough income for a comfortable retirement, reduce the chance for loss in their investments, I help them pay less taxes and I help them make sure there’s enough money to live the life you’re accustomed to if something happens to one of the main breadwinners, and I can often do this by reallocating instead of increasing the amount of money you’re putting away.
Well, what do you think?" ]]

Well, what do YOU think?

I agree with DHK. Keep intros simple enough that most people get it. Get as deep as you need in an appointment but until you know what they're interested in it's tough to get into detail. Just build the interest in you and what you can do (hint: it's a whole freaking lot, and they deserve to hear about it when they have made the time to get educated)

Back