• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Daily Cold Call Stats

What are you selling goose?

Voluntary benefits is my main focus. Also piddling in individual life and just contracted for med supps.

----------

Good job so far Smokin goose!
Your second year should be a whole lot better.

I like seeing guys hustling business by cold calling.
You learn so much about people and what your doing.
I'm not opposed to other methods that cost money but I think you first need to understand what you 're going after in other words pin point precision targeting of your market. Then you know what to buy or how to train someone to do it.

New guys will spend $500 bucks on some leads and make maybe $250.
I think this is what kills new agents. And then there is the other problem finding a reputable lead source when you do decide to spend money on marketing. Hiring and training and monitoring a telemarketer is time consuming and you probably will go through several before you get one to stick.

All of the above are great reasons to just get out there and talk to folks.

Thanks for the encouragement bro!

Voluntary benefits is my main focus. Also piddling in individual life and just contracted for med supps.

----------

Thanks for the encouragement bro!

Are you sure that your main focus? Might not bass fishing be a focus? At least I am admiring the picture.

Last edited:
I'm 11 months in as an agent. I've made 31k. Have I struggled financially? Yes. Has the cut in pay put a strain on my marriage? Yes. But the lights are still on and my wife and kids haven't gone without a meal.

No, I haven't put up good numbers, but I survived because of cold calling. Now, I could give a sh!t less what you think. However, there may be other agents on here struggling through their first year and you're on here flappin your gums about how cold calling doesn't work. If you don't believe it, fine. The question I have is why do you find it necessary to bash a tactic just because you suck at it?

Smoking goose... first let me say good job... Cold calling does work, has worked and will continue to work. People saying it doesn't work has nothing to do with actual results but in their own failures. When I started in sales, I worked for the largest benefits firm in the Northeast. We had 43 brokers including myself. I was amazed at the amount of people who would tell me things like. "you're crazy for starting in the business today. Its so much harder now".. "cold calling doesn't work, I only work off referrals". And most of these people were the big dogs in the agency.

Something I learned is that when someone else can't find success, they try to make sure you won't either. And its been like that at every place I worked. The absolute truth is... it does work! I believe cold calling B2B is the fastest way to grow a book of business that exists and I've proven it. When I TRIPLED the production of 42 other agents my first year and doubled them my second year, I did it all by cold calling! Renewal dates are key in my business so I would call and find those that were interested now and meet with them. The others I would file away and send touches throughout the year. In only 6-9 months, I had generated so many touches, that almost all my calls became warm leads after that. I still called new companies to keep the funnel going but it became less and less.

Know how much time I spent calling per week from the very beginning? An HOUR a day. Thats it! For 5 hours a week, 20 calls a day, I wrote $215k in commissions. Now, tell me cold calling doesn't work! Eventually, I figured out that it took me 34 dials to book an appt. So, I set a 34-4 plan. Call 34 companies, 4 days a week with no calls on Fridays. Prospecting should be the shortest activity you do in your sales process.

Here's a couple things I learned.
1. They need a reason to see you. Don't sell them, share a success. Be different.
2. B2B calling is an accepted form of business. Just as you are calling them for your service, they have people in their office calling you to sell you theirs.
3. Develop some sort of follow up file. Whether its a 3 ring binder or a online crm. Use something to keep your prospects organized.
4. Set REALLY big goals! Calculate the numbers and write out a one page sales plan for the year and keep it to yourself!!! (when I told my sales mgr that I would write 215k for the year, he told me I was shooting too high. Go for 50-60k a year. He said, "you'll still be the top broker in the company if you do 50k, shoot for that". I never talked sales numbers with him again)

You've already proven you can sell in the business you're in. If you can sell 1 client, you can 100! Now you just need to get your plan in order, believe in it and start working it. Thats it.

Good luck!

Smoking goose... first let me say good job... Cold calling does work, has worked and will continue to work. People saying it doesn't work has nothing to do with actual results but in their own failures. When I started in sales, I worked for the largest benefits firm in the Northeast. We had 43 brokers including myself. I was amazed at the amount of people who would tell me things like. "you're crazy for starting in the business today. Its so much harder now".. "cold calling doesn't work, I only work off referrals". And most of these people were the big dogs in the agency.

Something I learned is that when someone else can't find success, they try to make sure you won't either. And its been like that at every place I worked. The absolute truth is... it does work! I believe cold calling B2B is the fastest way to grow a book of business that exists and I've proven it. When I TRIPLED the production of 42 other agents my first year and doubled them my second year, I did it all by cold calling! Renewal dates are key in my business so I would call and find those that were interested now and meet with them. The others I would file away and send touches throughout the year. In only 6-9 months, I had generated so many touches, that almost all my calls became warm leads after that. I still called new companies to keep the funnel going but it became less and less.

Know how much time I spent calling per week from the very beginning? An HOUR a day. Thats it! For 5 hours a week, 20 calls a day, I wrote $215k in commissions. Now, tell me cold calling doesn't work! Eventually, I figured out that it took me 34 dials to book an appt. So, I set a 34-4 plan. Call 34 companies, 4 days a week with no calls on Fridays. Prospecting should be the shortest activity you do in your sales process.

1. They need a reason to see you. Don't sell them, share a success. Be different.
2. B2B calling is an accepted form of business. Just as you are calling them for your service, they have people in their office calling you to sell you theirs.
3. Develop some sort of follow up file. Whether its a 3 ring binder or a online crm. Use something to keep your prospects organized.
4. Set REALLY big goals! Calculate the numbers and write out a one page sales plan for the year and keep it to yourself!!! (when I told my sales mgr that I would write 215k for the year, he told me I was shooting too high. Go for 50-60k a year. He said, "you'll still be the top broker in the company if you do 50k, shoot for that". I never talked sales numbers with him again)

You've already proven you can sell in the business you're in. If you can sell 1 client, you can 100! Now you just need to get your plan in order, believe in it and start working it. Thats it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!!!

I guess no one is saying it doesn't work so that went over your brilliant mind. What the realists are saying is that cold calling is not an effective way to do business, expecially cold calling homes vs B2B.

Your long winded diatribe just reinforces that point.

Good luck!

I guess no one is saying it doesn't work so that went over your brilliant mind. What the realists are saying is that cold calling is not an effective way to do business, expecially cold calling homes vs B2B.

Your long winded diatribe just reinforces that point.

HAHAHAHA that may be the funniest thing I ever heard. All I hear on here is how it doesn't work. Every post is negative including yours. And if a person was a true "realist" they would learn the right way and then they really would be realist!

Either way I love guys like you... "this is too hard", "my life sucks", "cold calling doesn't work" WA WA WAAAA. It pumps me up cause its less competition for the positive people.

You are just clueless. Nothing wrong with my life or my business. Nor am I am I trying to sell someone on a business method.

You, on the other hand, will be hawking some deal as soon as you get enough posts.

And I would challenge you find a negative post made by me. You have that chip on your shoulder like a little school kid.

You are no competition to me. I wish you would do more telemarketing in my area.

HAHAHAHA that may be the funniest thing I ever heard. All I hear on here is how it doesn't work. Every post is negative including yours. And if a person was a true "realist" they would learn the right way and then they really would be realist!

Either way I love guys like you... "this is too hard", "my life sucks", "cold calling doesn't work" WA WA WAAAA. It pumps me up cause its less competition for the positive people.

Back