Does losing VA coverage, while covered under MA....

LD, I hope you are seeing in each one of these attachments that the only time income comes into play is to determine any amount of co-pays you may have. It does not determine whether or not you qualify for benefits.

This statement:
...Veterans who are eligible for enrollment only because their income is below an established threshold will be required to complete a means test when applying for VA health care enrollment.

In this document
https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-603_elimination_of_means_test.pdf

Directly contradicts your statement.

Last edited:
Why did he lose the VA? No longer active service?

Why did he enroll in Texan Plus?

Upfront I'm going to let you know I'm brand new-just learning-1st appt was last Fri.-. I'm the commercial P & C agent that was thinking about getting into MC and the one that asked the Kidney Transplant question a cpl mths ago.
I'm not sure why he lost his VA cov'g-he has a Pacemaker and been receiving VA benefits and they stopped them-I called him on my way home earlier and told him to get his VA letter out and we were going to call them together Monday-I'm really worried about him not continuing to get his meds for the Pacemaker.
He didn't know he was in Texan Plus till I pulled his info up on Med.cov-he then remembered someone enrolled but he didn't use it as there were no Dr's.

I've had a fun week-I believe I'm going to enjoy it-didn't know what to expect but really enjoyed talking to these folks on my 9 appts I've had so far, wrote 2 deals (UHC MA) with 2 set up to write when their LIS qualification comes back and this one that I'm going to help and write now if I can-or set up for Oct.
Way different from my P & C Commercial Sales-where I spend the majority of my time prospecting and then begging for financials and loss runs ect ect so I can put together a complete submission-they want to buy here I just fill out an easy app.
We are working with the lower income folks-going to be MA mostly.

If the Texan Plus MA plan he has does not have Rx coverage then the loss of creditable Rx coverage from the VA does create an SEP to get a PDP or an MAPD.
Great info, thx! He does not have RX Cov'g with Texan Plus-so if I figure out the VA plan situation he's good to go.

While I am asking questions :)-will United Health Care let me know if a Prospect qualifies for their Dual plan if I have all her info but she isn't sitting in front of me?

This statement:

In this document
https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-603_elimination_of_means_test.pdf

Directly contradicts your statement.

We can stop anytime you wish. I had computer access longer today than I originally anticipated, I will not be able to do much search or typing now for several days.

LD, once again you're trying to read into this. The Means Test is only used to determine what portions you can pay and to what group you are going to fall under. Stop trying to read into this.

Op, if disability is not service connected, he may be in priority. Group 8. Income is a factor there.

The first question for your client is if the health issue is service connected. I don't know if VA does a one year or two year look back on tax data, so if issues are not service connected,. I would ask him if 2016 or 2017 income on tax return had a big jump for some reason.

If so, then when talking with VA, you could see if they have a procedure to accommodate this.

I think aca looks back two years and they have some kind of form that can be completed to deal with a one time abnormal tax income year when taxpayer cash flow is remaining the same. Don't know how VA handles that.

Last edited:
LD, once again you're trying to read into this. The Means Test is only used to determine what portions you can pay and to what group you are going to fall under. Stop trying to read into
this.

When did the VA resume a full open enrollment of all veterans into the VA healthcare system?

Back