Does losing VA coverage, while covered under MA....

So are you telling me that Veterans Administration websites provide incorrect information?

No, but I am suggesting perhaps you have a reading comprehension problem. Won't be the first time that has happened.

And you still have not answered my question.

Did you actually TALK to someone at the VA or not?

By your silence I assume you did not.

This is not a discussion about the quality of health care received in the system. There has been at least one thread covering that specific topic over the last year, and I think I know Todd's opinion about that. I also now know yours.

That is a straw man argument designed to evade the question.

No, but I am suggesting perhaps you have a reading comprehension problem. Won't be the first time that has happened.

When a Veterans Administration website specifically says this:

we cannot enroll you in VA Health Care at this time due to your income exceeding the established income thresholds for enrollment.

What am I not comprehending when I say that the Veterans Administration uses income as a current criterion for enrollment in the VA Health System?

Your client also has the option to check Goodrx pricing for the drugs he needs if he does not care to mess with the VA system. Unless the drugs he needs are terribly expensive, he may still be money ahead over having had to pay for a PDP over however many years.

The guy has money and he just had a heart attack. Right now he just wants to recover from his surgery and go to Walgreens and hand the man his card and pay the difference and go home.....But he can't because hes an insufferable tight ass just like yourself. What good is money if you don't use it? What the heck is the fun of having money if you got to be worrying about counting your pennies at the same time you are worried about living to see another Christmas? Can't you see that this tight ass guy now knows what the rest of us knew all along. The VA is a joke and when you are looking the grim reaper in the face you don't want to be dealing with the infamous VA B.S. As long as those drug plans are going to be government subsidized and so cheap if you got two dimes to your name buy yourself one. Live a little.

And you still have not answered my question.

Did you actually TALK to someone at the VA or not?

By your silence I assume you did not.

No, I have not talked to someone at the VA.

Why do I need to do so, unless the VA webpages put out incorrect information?

This webpage:
VA Health Care Enrollment and Eligibility - Health Benefits

Talks about a preapplication survey to see if it is worth your time to complete the 10-10 application form. The questions in the survey are the key questions on the 10-10 form itself. I don't think the VA would create a system in which it would give one set of answers to a group of questions online and then have application reviewers give a different answer to the same set of formal standardized questions.

edit:
And the priority group 8 information in the link above clearly states that veterans with incomes above certain limits will be unable to enroll in the VA Health System. (And if they are not enrolled, there is no possibility that their income can determine a copay because they are not eligible to receive the services for which a copay might be required.)

Last edited:
I just couldn't stand by and abide your ignorance on this matter and I really still can't. You are like arguing with a child that only thinks they know what they are talking about.

Back at you.

From the instructions for the current form 10-10EZ:

Financial Disclosure: ONLY NSC AND 0% NONCOMPENSABLE SC VETERANS MUST COMPLETE THIS SECTION TO DETERMINE ELIGIBILITY AND COPAY RESPONSIBILITY FOR VA HEALTH CARE ENROLLMENT AND/OR CARE OR SERVICES.

These may not have been the rules when you were enrolled, but they are the rules now for new applicants. Also, please keep in mind we are talking about two different categories of veterans. In your case, I believe you said you had a disability category. I have no disability, service connected or otherwise, so my income, in relation to the annual VA income tables, becomes the Veteran's Administration's primary determining factor of whether I have need for access to the VA health system. If I were to be allowed access, then my health conditions and income would factor into copay considerations.

The only disagreement I have with the things you have said is that income is not a current consideration in the ability of a veteran to enroll in the VA healthcare system. For some, with the right service experience or health conditions, it is not. For others it is.

OK, I don't have a dog in this fight, and I am no VA expert, but here is something I found when I Googled "VA benefits income based"

Enrolled Veterans are no longer required to provide their financial assessment on an annual basis if they had a current financial assessment on file as of March 24, 2014.

If the enrolled Veteran does not have a financial assessment on file as of March 24, 2014, the Veteran will be required to provide updated income information.

Enrolled Veterans who are eligible because their household income is below the VA income limit (e.g., NSC and 0% SC Veterans without any special eligibility) will:
Not be required to update their income on a yearly basis.
Be required to complete a financial assessment at their next health care visit if they do not have a current financial assessment on file as of March 24, 2014.

VA does not verify all enrolled Veterans’ income. Only Veterans who receive free medical care and/or medications based on their self-reported household income are included in the income verification process.

Financial Assessment - Health Benefits

Doesn't the term ENROLLED imply these requirements apply to someone who is currently RECEIVING benefits?

Yeah, but you conveniently left out the top part of that page that talks about actually enrolling:

Financial Assessment

A financial assessment is a means of collecting the Veteran’s household income information which is used to determine whether a Veteran is eligible for enrollment and whether or not the Veteran would be required to pay copays for care or prescription medication. VA is required by law to collect this information.

There is no change in VA’s long-standing policy to provide no-cost care to Veterans who cannot afford to pay for their care, Veterans with catastrophic medical conditions, Veterans with a disability rating of 50 percent or higher, or for conditions that are officially rated as “service-connected.”

Just to throw in my encounter where I live in South Carolina. I come across many VA clients. Lost Dollar is correct in saying income determined VA eligibility.

I have VA clients that were declined by the VA due to income.
Especially insulin clients. They complain about the copays yet they are vets.

Just like the common phrase "the VA will take care of me when I pass on) one has to be eligible to get a plot based on the years they served.

Mr. King, I respect all your posts, but on this case, I beg to differ based on my experience. By the wa, I wish you were my FMO/IMO

Back