Domain Names

The Go Daddy charge for a 1 page website is no charge if you buy the domain through them which is around $8.99 per year. A 5 page site is $4.95 and a 10 page site is $8.95 and larger sites are available and very reasonably priced. These include email account and catch all email account. They also throw in a $50 credit towards Google Adwords.

I checked out VodaHost about a year ago for a site that had nothing to do with insurance (it was for an online store) and there were some functional problems with the site at that time. The management said they were aware of the problems and would be corrected. VodaHost has all the bells and whistles and for a non commerce site, would probably be very good as well.

What are you going to use as your domain name? And do they charge for that?

Yahoo Geocities will do hosting for $9 a month with my domain name, email address (ex [email protected]) and very easy to use (works like Microsoft word). Is that reasonable?

I am looked at bluevoda and if it does all that I am all for it.

I paid go daddy about $10-$15 per year, per domain name. I'm thinking along the lines of boratlovesinsurance or something along those lines.

Whoever you choose, you don't want any cheesy banner ads on your site. Sometimes, the free ones do that. You may have to bite the bullet and spend $300-$500 to have someone do it for you. Melmunch will have some good suggestions.

Last edited:
Having a cheesy website is no different then showing up for an appointment in an old tattered suit and shoes with holes in them. You are yelling "I'M BROKE" at the top of your lungs and also subliminally conveying that you really don't care about what you're doing. Would you open a restaurant and buy used chairs off Ebay to save money?

So, here is my question.

If I buy a domain name, like Mikegattorna.com, how do I link it to another site, like my free one I have that no one ever goes to (I do not advertise it).

I will be advertising it during AEP with everyone I see. My site will be for basic information and I would tell senior to go to it, find out more, and call me or email me questions.

Or, do I pay for the upgraded service? It is only $9 per month, but I am a cheap-o and do not want to pay $9 a month if no one ever goes to it.

The free one page site from godaddy does not have any banners or hosting ads on it and the additional pages I pay for do not either. The free page comes with the domain name you register with godaddy plus email and free blog. This may sound like a commercial for them, but I have no vested interest in who you do business with, just passing along what works for me.

I would never even consider using a site with hosting ads on it for anything. Like John says, it would advertise that you are broke or worst, small time and inexperienced.

When I come upon a site with hosting ads, I say to myself "yea right! I'll do business with someone who can't afford a website? no way!"

View it as a first impression... same as your appearance, your business card and the vehicle you drive to your appointments.

That free page I referred to is great for use as a splash page to redirect visitors to your main site. If you are not advertising your splash pages and blogs, whats the point of having them if no one sees them?

One more piece of advice, the search engines view a domain address that is paid for several years as opposed to yearly as more relative and will usually rate that site higher in there page rankings.

One more thing, if you want to submit your site to the search engines for free, go here: Free Web Submission: Free Search Engine Submission and Site Promotion

This is a free service and not bad for new sites and cheapo's.

Now, I am far from a computer geek and barely know the difference between a byte and a bite, but I have had an online stores up and running for 9 years now. It does not take much to be flying high in April and shot down in May when it comes to the internet and internet marketing.

One more thing... if you are using any free service to submit your website to the search engines... if its the one I recommended or one that you have found on your own, do yourself a favor.

Set up a throw away email address like the ones yahoo and others offer. These are free email accounts and when you use a free service to submit your site, many of the search engine companies will want you to join their mailing list and/or verify your email address by clicking a link in the email they send to you.

This will keep your "real" email address's free from these emails.

It used to be you could find almost every service and application for free on the internet when these tech stocks were in the IPO phase or shortly after their initial public offering. Internet traffic meant the potential for big bucks to investors back then... then the tech bubble burst and the companies that did not hit the wall realized that they need to charge something or at lest promote the services of other companies to make money.

Although there are some things that are still available out there for free, most come with some type of catch vs the paid applications.

Last edited:
Back