Final Expense dress code

I can.

Do without it that is.

That Miami Vice crap was about as cheesy as CSI Miami. How much cliche riddled script can they shove into 30 min.

I agree with you and I always wear a dress when I go to an appointment. I think it is respectful to dress like a lady. I'm not into the power suits but I always put on a nice dress that hits below the knee...

I make sure I smell pleasant when I go without wearing anything overbearing.

I also carry a closing pen which I learned to do in Real Estate. A good quality pen is a sign of a professional.

I pay probably too much to drive in a luxury car because I want to come across as a successful.

I make sure my shoes are clean because when someone is thinking they tend to look down.

I have a huge list of things I do when I go on an appointment, which I rarely do lately as I have enough phone clients that I haven't needed to go out.

Some of my other habits include always having a nice leather bound folder to put their applications in and I stick a clean sheet of paper on top so they know I am covering their personal info from my next client, whilst leaving the last app just peeking out, so they see other people do business with me.

I make sure my fingernails are always clean because I know I can't stand a person with dirty hands.

I always make sure to have a nice pedicure because I wear heels and sometimes people ask or it is inferred to leave your shoes at the door...

I've had people say I am a classic OCD case but whether that is true or not, it is rare that I walk out of a home without an application.

I've competed against quite a few unprofessional looking agents of which would sometimes offer a lower quote to the client but I still got the sale because I command respect from my clients whilst respecting them by not going into their home looking like a disheveled mess.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Or you would get committed! I can see a straight jacket and a padded cell coming out of that one. Hey, it's a vacation!

Impressive how much thought you put into this! I am even more impressed because I thought about several of these things when first starting. I definitely bought a new backpack, and I'm still looking for a nice padfolio.

I also think I'm going to buy an ipad mini or some other small tablet instead of my laptop. Im not going to be walking around in the nicest of neighborhoods.

Impressive how much thought you put into this! I am even more impressed because I thought about several of these things when first starting. I definitely bought a new backpack, and I'm still looking for a nice padfolio.

I also think I'm going to buy an ipad mini or some other small tablet instead of my laptop. Im not going to be walking around in the nicest of neighborhoods.

I wore a new pair of Wranglers today. The closing pen was one laying on the table that had the cap chewed off.

Last edited:
I wonder if this might have changed somewhat even since 2008 when this thread was started.

Few people besides fundamentalist preachers and lawyers (while in court) wear suits these days. I think a lot of financial advisors still wear them. But even then you’ll sometimes see golf shirts. FE? It might help you with some people and hurt you with others. I think the idea was that “Hey this guy in a suit is a professional. He knows what he’s doing.” But I think it might turn at least as many people off these days.

I’d like to hear what some folks who currently work this market think.

Last edited:
I wonder if this might have changed somewhat even since 2008 when this thread was started.

Few people besides fundamentalist preachers and lawyers (while in court) wear suits these days. I think a lot of financial advisors still wear them. But even then you’ll sometimes see golf shirts. FE? It might help you with some people and hurt you with others. I think the idea was that “Hey this guy in a suit is a professional. He knows what he’s doing.” But I think it might turn at least as many people off these days.

Certainly can't hurt to dress professionally. There's probably many opinions on what is professional.

I doubt anyone has lost a sale by being dressed too nice. I would also bet that many have lost sales on their appearance.

Also, someone can look like a slob in a business suit. You only have a few seconds at that first impression. What impression do you want to make?

Strange you choose "fundamentalist" preachers.,, There are preachers of every type that still wear a suit when preaching though not many wear them every day of the week. I wear a coat and tie on Sundays. In fact, remember who your primary market is for FE.. Older folks. And, from those I often hear complaints about the younger preachers who wear jeans and polos in the pulpit not looking like a preacher.

Dress to the expectation of your prospect. But, to more importantly dress in a manner that makes you have a good mental image of yourself. But, whatever you choose, always be neat . clean and pressed. I have seen soem agents that look very authoritative in slacks polos and polished leather dress shoes (not a fan of sneakers as business attire). Others can't pull it off.

In the winter I wear slacks, dress shirt, sport jacket and a tie. Summertime, I will shed the jacket. I am old guy that started in 1971, just a couple of years after my company quit requiring their debit agents to wear a dress hat in the field. Old habits are hard to break. Occasionally I work with an agent who wears clacks and a polo.. You would be surprised how often clients and prospects will ask him if I am his manager. :)

Strange you choose "fundamentalist" preachers.,, There are preachers of every type that still wear a suit when preaching though not many wear them every day of the week. I wear a coat and tie on Sundays. In fact, remember who your primary market is for FE.. Older folks. And, from those I often hear complaints about the younger preachers who wear jeans and polos in the pulpit not looking like a preacher.

Dress to the expectation of your prospect. But, to more importantly dress in a manner that makes you have a good mental image of yourself. But, whatever you choose, always be neat . clean and pressed. I have seen soem agents that look very authoritative in slacks polos and polished leather dress shoes (not a fan of sneakers as business attire). Others can't pull it off.

In the winter I wear slacks, dress shirt, sport jacket and a tie. Summertime, I will shed the jacket. I am old guy that started in 1971, just a couple of years after my company quit requiring their debit agents to wear a dress hat in the field. Old habits are hard to break. Occasionally I work with an agent who wears clacks and a polo.. You would be surprised how often clients and prospects will ask him if I am his manager. :)

You’re right that preachers of all types still wear suits, although it is getting rarer in my experience. But rarely will you see a (independent) fundy without one. (By contrast, I know a Southern Baptist who almost dresses like a grunge rocker if not a lumberjack. With some of them, jeans and an untucked casual shirt seems to be as much of a uniform as a suit is.)

You have a point about the target market too, although they are boomers, the generation that led the charge when it came to being more casual. But I do think you’re better off risking being overdressed than underdressed.

Dress hat? What’s that? (I’m joking.)

Back