Hi Deductible Plan F vs Plan F, or other Med Supps

Along with everything else that has been advised, it sounds like this guy has Blue Brain. In other words, he's probably been with BCBS for many years (probably even before retirement). If he does have Blue Brain that just means that he is actually afraid to use another company. This client needs an education very badly!

Its a rare day I can get through Blue brain

Along with everything else that has been advised, it sounds like this guy has Blue Brain. In other words, he's probably been with BCBS for many years (probably even before retirement). If he does have Blue Brain that just means that he is actually afraid to use another company. This client needs an education very badly!
Prospect: I've had BCBS my whole life and they have paid on all my claims!
Me: Well don't you think it's time you give them a break! You have cost them a lot of money!

Prospect: I've had BCBS my whole life and they have paid on all my claims!
Me: Well don't you think it's time you give them a break! You have cost them a lot of money!
We gonna start seein' you on the OKC comedy circuit?

My insurance plan is $280/month, and I have a 3K deductible. It sounds like at age 80, this guy's options for plans are better than what I have now. What a deal!
Hmm...

I was just talking with a guy down the street whose 6 yr old is excited about starting first grade in the fall.

You bein' excited about 80 so you can get good insurance?

He currently has a pretty large liability under the current plan if he gets sick. Consider premium of Sup and Part D as low side costs. Then consider premiums plus max liability under various scenarios as the high side costs. Part D liability would have to be included in the calculations in order to be fair. I like being able to go anywhere in the country as do most people I've talked to. Being cheap can get old people killed (easier).

I talked to one person aging in who can't pass underwriting after the initial open enrollment. He has access to a premium-subsidized F and Part D through his union. Current premium for both is about what the premium is for G. Another agent had signed him up for an Advantage plan because of $0 premium. I told him to cancel that and stay with the subsidized F because his total health care costs no matter how many heart attacks he has will only be his premium plus whatever his RX costs are.

He currently has a pretty large liability under the current plan if he gets sick. Consider premium of Sup and Part D as low side costs. Then consider premiums plus max liability under various scenarios as the high side costs. Part D liability would have to be included in the calculations in order to be fair. I like being able to go anywhere in the country as do most people I've talked to. Being cheap can get old people killed (easier).

I talked to one person aging in who can't pass underwriting after the initial open enrollment. He has access to a premium-subsidized F and Part D through his union. Current premium for both is about what the premium is for G. Another agent had signed him up for an Advantage plan because of $0 premium. I told him to cancel that and stay with the subsidized F because his total health care costs no matter how many heart attacks he has will only be his premium plus whatever his RX costs are.

I’m not following. But that’s normal, I can’t read.
But why talk part d to him when factoring in calculations? It’s moot. You can’t change it. And what other liabilities are you talking about?

@Chasm, he has a maximum out -of-pocket liability under the advantage plan which includes RX.

Changing to a Sup requires the purchase of a separate Part D which also has a liability copays, donut hole etc that must be added to his sup out of pocket liability to know what his total possible OOP is.

The question becomes "under what circumstances dates he incur significant claims under each plan?"

He needs 1 hospital deductible and ~ 20% of $5,000 to meet the Hi F deductible. Then there is more expense associated with the Part D. Your job is to understand what those limits are and present the so he can decide what he wants to do.

There is also some risk associated with underwriting and the possibility of not passing or not understanding the questions, answering wrong and having the policy rescinded.

Last edited:
It almost sounds like you’re saying the drug coverage under a mapd is different than a stand alone part d plan. But I’m sure you don’t mean it that way.

Besides that, I didn’t think the OP was ever contemplating a mapd Plan. He’s asking if he should switch to a HDF. Part D has no role here

Back