How Do I Set Up My Own Website ?

Re: How do i set up my own website?

Another example of a post from over a year ago that has come back to life.

Anyway. Someone suggested using Frontpage to create a site. That would be a big mistake. Frontpage has been replaced by Microsoft Expressions Web --and for many good reasons. Without getting into details, like the server having to have Frontpage extensions to make Frontpage work, believe me you don't want to use it.

I used Financial Visions and was surprised at how easy it was. I think $149 plus $49 a month to host website. They will do the work for you for a small fee.

Again, Frontpage is yesterday's news and yesterday's technology.

Microsoft dropped Frontpage for good reasons and there will be no future support.

Servers are beginning to drop Frontpage extensions which is required to run Frontpage.

So, you can go ahead and take the time to create a site with Frontpage, and then watch key features stop working when your server no longer supports them.

Microsoft insisted on doing everything their way with screwball standards in Frontpage just like they did with MS Explorer, which is why Dreamweaver and all the others killed Frontpage in the marketplace. If you want to use MS, then get Expressions Web which is the MS attempt to be more like Dreamweaver.

If I recall some of the pricing and details correctly:

I bought a program called WebPlus10, by Serif, and downloaded it online. It is really easy to use. There is a free version with some limitations and a full version for about $40. I started with the free version and switched to the full.

After that, you can buy a domain for $2 to $20 from godaddy.com, and then receive hosting and email for free. If you expect massive amounts of traffic or have many employees for email, you can purchase bigger packages. If you expect very little traffic, you can use a product called called Website Tonight for free and build a "template-type" of site there instead of buying software. (If you use "Website Tonight," I don't think your website design is portable.) I chose the middle by designing on my own, and buying a fatter email package.

I won't say that I have the greatest web site or web presence, but it serves my purpose. It is only there for validation of me and my business. I don't expect to "sell" online or have leads jumping at me off the web. If I have initiated discussions with someone, it's just another way for them to "check me out."

For what I want and need, I'm pretty happy with this type of set-up for just a little money. I can change/update/tweak the site in seconds, and as often as I like.

People can spend a ton on these things, and depending upon what they expect from it -- many don't need to. My opinion.

I think anyone can put up a site. It's takes skill to get it seen.

I don't have that skill so I prefer to pay someone for their expertise. Almost like someone coming to me for insurance advice (except my web guy gives GOOD advice).

Rick

I think anyone can put up a site. It's takes skill to get it seen.

I don't have that skill so I prefer to pay someone for their expertise. Almost like someone coming to me for insurance advice (except my web guy gives GOOD advice).

Rick

I don't disagree with you at all. My purpose for my site isn't to drive traffic and leads. I simply have it for potential customers to validate and further know my business, and for present clients to have another way to refer me to others.

If my goal was to drive traffic and leads, I'd certainly consider the use of a professional, and have it done differently.

Also, Rick, you shouldn't have the same title tags for every page of your site. It might hurt you on the seo side.
I'm guessing you are speaking English! I've sent this to my web guy for his input.

I have 2 sites, Green Sky Insurance Services, LLC - Low cost health insurance. and California Health Insurance Quotes. We are currently only marketing the California site for IFP. The next step is to activate my californiamedicareplans.com for the old folks.

Don't know what to do with greensky as I'm using simply for credibiity and because it's the name of my agency.

Rick

If I recall some of the pricing and details correctly:

I bought a program called WebPlus10, by Serif, and downloaded it online. It is really easy to use. There is a free version with some limitations and a full version for about $40. I started with the free version and switched to the full.

After that, you can buy a domain for $2 to $20 from godaddy.com, and then receive hosting and email for free. If you expect massive amounts of traffic or have many employees for email, you can purchase bigger packages. If you expect very little traffic, you can use a product called called Website Tonight for free and build a "template-type" of site there instead of buying software. (If you use "Website Tonight," I don't think your website design is portable.) I chose the middle by designing on my own, and buying a fatter email package.

I won't say that I have the greatest web site or web presence, but it serves my purpose. It is only there for validation of me and my business. I don't expect to "sell" online or have leads jumping at me off the web. If I have initiated discussions with someone, it's just another way for them to "check me out."

For what I want and need, I'm pretty happy with this type of set-up for just a little money. I can change/update/tweak the site in seconds, and as often as I like.

People can spend a ton on these things, and depending upon what they expect from it -- many don't need to. My opinion.

I use the same software for doing my web sites. I use the latest version Web Plus X2.

You can download the free version, Web Plus SE, play around with it, and if you like it, then purchase the Web Plus version, around $80.

I have tried more than 10 programs, and this is the most user friendly one I have found. Very short learning curve, 10 hours or so depending on skill level, 20 plus for me.

You can get it here.

Free Web Site Publishing Software Download - WebPlus

Back