Humana Agent Service

That's not acceptable. Of course you fight it.

I would also get cozy with the local rep so in times like that, they could also help you instead of just dealing with the support people by phone.
--------
Some clients are tech-illiterate and have to be coached like a child on how to complete the remote app. And later on... how to find a provider, etc.

We have to be on the phone with them while they complete the app. And it's not a bad idea to even send them screenshots of what they'll see and how to proceed. Or even a video overview.

The problem is sometimes you can't get to the final steps of the remote signing unless you knew someone else and recorded what they did so you can see how it is. Although some of the carrier guides have screenshot and videos.

It happened to me 3 times, The first 2 I didn't see it coming 2 in my 1st AEP, The 3rd as I said I had to be at a funeral the only time my client was able to do it, I explicitly explained not to call but she forgot, Think that was either 2013 or 2014

Whatever That was not the point, It is a low down and shameless thing to do

And like I said it is what it is, They are popular so you have to sell them, And they take advantage That is all

I disagree on your last point only. How does a Humana contract tell you what the renewals will be? It's completely vague on that point.

All they're really saying is, we'll let you know from year to year what we decide to pay you.

There is NO reason to conduct business that way on Humana's part. Brokers have an absolute right to know what is reasonably expected from year to year.

Further, there is no logical or financial reason why Humana and UHC cannot simply agree to pay current FMV year to year. The only reason they don't is internal greed. Typical of a stock company beholden to its stockholders.

I don't disagree that they should pay on the increase (even though Med Supps never have). Paying the new FMV each year would be great. I know that Aetna/Coventry does that.

Humana does tell you what your renewal will be. It is right on your commission schedule each year they create a new one.

That's my whole point. It's ridiculous not to know year to year what your commission is going to be until the high and mighty at Humana decide what they are graciously going to pay you. That's a direct carry over from Employers Health. Still makes no sense.

Again, realize that there actually is no "renewal" with MAPD. It's a plan year only contract. Thus, anyone "renewing" is actually enrolling (perhaps by default) into a NEW plan year's plan. Accordingly, commissions SHOULD be tied to whatever CMS max will be that next year.

SIMPLE.

Also, it is irrelevant what Med Supps pay commissions on. Totally different ballpark altogether. There, clients pay premiums that increase. With MAPD, clients premiums never increase. If they're zero, then of course they pay nothing. If a plan is $25 a month year when and it goes to $35 a month next year, again, that's a new plan and technically the old plan did NOT increase - it went away and was replaced by a completely new plan.

Here, premiums are paid by the Government. Likewise, it's the Government that determines max commissions every year.

I honestly think that the Med Supp dichotomy you present is the same line of thinking relied on by the white shirts at Humana and UHC in particular. We'll never know. They're not talking. You literally cannot get anyone in the know to respond to questioning regarding payment of FMV.

Thanks for your input!

That's my whole point. It's ridiculous not to know year to year what your commission is going to be until the high and mighty at Humana decide what they are graciously going to pay you. That's a direct carry over from Employers Health. Still makes no sense.

Again, realize that there actually is no "renewal" with MAPD. It's a plan year only contract. Thus, anyone "renewing" is actually enrolling (perhaps by default) into a NEW plan year's plan. Accordingly, commissions SHOULD be tied to whatever CMS max will be that next year.

SIMPLE.

Also, it is irrelevant what Med Supps pay commissions on. Totally different ballpark altogether. There, clients pay premiums that increase. With MAPD, clients premiums never increase. If they're zero, then of course they pay nothing. If a plan is $25 a month year when and it goes to $35 a month next year, again, that's a new plan and technically the old plan did NOT increase - it went away and was replaced by a completely new plan.

Here, premiums are paid by the Government. Likewise, it's the Government that determines max commissions every year.

I honestly think that the Med Supp dichotomy you present is the same line of thinking relied on by the white shirts at Humana and UHC in particular. We'll never know. They're not talking. You literally cannot get anyone in the know to respond to questioning regarding payment of FMV.

Thanks for your input!

I understand that it is your belief that they SHOULD pay you the FMV the following year, but that is just your opinion and nothing else. The "high and mighty Humana", can only tell you what the following year's commission will be when CMS tells them what it will be. Then that is what they pay you.

"If a plan is $25 a month year when and it goes to $35 a month next year, again, that's a new plan and technically the old plan did NOT increase - it went away and was replaced by a completely new plan."

I'm not sure how you come up with this logic, but no, it's not a new plan. I personally think you are just grasping at straws to try and justify what you would like for them to do. Just my take on this.

You could not be more incorrect, on both points but especially the first one.

By your logic, Humana relies on CMS to tell them what the commissions will be for the following year on renewals from prior years.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

CMS only dictates the MAXIMUM commission payment allowable.

If CMS maximum allowable comp for the next year is $20 per month, Humana can choose to pay ANY AMOUNT it wants UP TO $20. It could pay $13.35, or it could pay $17.50, or whatever number it chooses, so long as that amount does not exceed $20 per month.

CMS only tells Humana the MAXIMUM it can pay. That's it.

If you were correct, then EVERY MA plan under the sun would pay the exact same amount every year. Doesn't work that way, does it? In fact, Humana pays less on renewals than virtually every company except perhaps UHC because it chooses to do so.

On point #2, every MA plan is valid only for one year. Surely you know that. MA plans are not guaranteed renewable at all in any fashion, either with respect to benefits or marketability. Thus, any MA member in a Humana plan as of September 12 will have their current plan end on December 31. If they are in a Humana plan as of January 1, they are in a new plan with new benefits (potentially). They are NOT in the same plan, even if the plan number remains the same.

And you're an FMO? Seriously? My goodness.

You could not be more incorrect, on both points but especially the first one.

By your logic, Humana relies on CMS to tell them what the commissions will be for the following year on renewals from prior years.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

CMS only dictates the MAXIMUM commission payment allowable.

If CMS maximum allowable comp for the next year is $20 per month, Humana can choose to pay ANY AMOUNT it wants UP TO $20. It could pay $13.35, or it could pay $17.50, or whatever number it chooses, so long as that amount does not exceed $20 per month.

CMS only tells Humana the MAXIMUM it can pay. That's it.

If you were correct, then EVERY MA plan under the sun would pay the exact same amount every year. Doesn't work that way, does it? In fact, Humana pays less on renewals than virtually every company except perhaps UHC because it chooses to do so.

On point #2, every MA plan is valid only for one year. Surely you know that. MA plans are not guaranteed renewable at all in any fashion, either with respect to benefits or marketability. Thus, any MA member in a Humana plan as of September 12 will have their current plan end on December 31. If they are in a Humana plan as of January 1, they are in a new plan with new benefits (potentially). They are NOT in the same plan, even if the plan number remains the same.

And you're an FMO? Seriously? My goodness.

UHC does the same? They pay renewals based on the writing year, not the new year?

You guys are confused. You realize that the new to Medicare and renewal rates are MAXIMUMS. It’s not the rate they must pay.

Humana used to pay $350 for new to Medicare when everyone else paid $4xx. If you don’t like the contract you signed with a company, don’t write them.

That’s correct. They had the better plan in my area, so that’s what I wrote. The commission levels are what they are. You either accept it and run with it or don’t write that product.

It’s annoying when you’re writing a lesser commissioned product, but this business is about volume.

Back