Insured Patients Delay Surgery Due to OOP Costs

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I have seen a number of insured patients forego needed surgery because they are unable to afford the out-of-pocket costs or take time away from work for recovery

About two-thirds who said they were very concerned about COVID exposure during surgery or recovery

Over the past two decades the percentage of people over 60 who work has doubled. At the same time, enrollment in limited-network Medicare Advantage plans and high-deductible heath plans has grown.

The most common elective operations were knee or hip replacement, cataract surgery, hernia repair, gall bladder removal and hysterectomy, results show.

Those procedures can be medically necessary and covered by insurance

I have seen a number of insured patients forego needed surgery because they are unable to afford the out-of-pocket costs or take time away from work for recovery
Good article.

One of the reasons given for postponing surgery was caregiver responsibilities. I've personally been down that road so I can identify.

Just shows that a lot more goes into one's healthcare. Not just about premiums, copays, etc.

Just shows that a lot more goes into one's healthcare. Not just about premiums, copays, etc.

Several of us have made that comment and it seems to fly over the head of those who are too busy cranking out sales without regard to the actual NEED of your prospect.

You & I both saw a video where two agents made multiple F2F sales calls where the car ride discussion was only about how much $$$ was made on each sale and the total commission for the day.

The video did not show the full presentation but making 17 F2F visits in a day + drive time does not leave much time to explain the product and find the need (other than "Do you want to save money?")

All transactional sales. Count your money and move on.

Frightening.

Wait… I thought beneficiaries didn’t consider money when making healthcare decisions. Thought that wasn’t rational? But today you post evidence showing that seniors do in fact consider “dollars and cents” when it relates to their healthcare.

So, if someone can’t afford $250 copay, how would they afford a $150/mth premium??? How is a supplement an answer to their financial concerns (which you previously denied existed)???

Thanks for providing evidence that contradicts everything you’ve been saying.
Too logical

Wait… I thought beneficiaries didn’t consider money when making healthcare decisions. Thought that wasn’t rational? But today you post evidence showing that seniors do in fact consider “dollars and cents” when it relates to their healthcare.

So, if someone can’t afford $250 copay, how would they afford a $150/mth premium??? How is a supplement an answer to their financial concerns (which you previously denied existed)???

Thanks for providing evidence that contradicts everything you’ve been saying.
So, someone on mapd will only pay $250 for a knee replacement?

So, someone on mapd will only pay $250 for a knee replacement?

Is that just the MAPD or does it also include add-on policies such as HI?

I have found that some who sell MAPD embellish the benefits by including HI payout which allegedly results in the patient spending X days in the hospital and coming out owing $0.

So, if someone can’t afford $250 copay, how would they afford a $150/mth premium??? How is a supplement an answer to their financial concerns
Some people don't pay anything for their supplement. It's called Medicaid or some other form of financial assistance.

A good Medicare agent knows all about this stuff. A 1TP does not.

I was wondering when somarco's sidekicks were gonna show up.

So, Medicaid pays Medicare supplement premiums? That's what you are going with now? And any good agent knows that, huh?

So, what if that isn't true but an agent believes that? What kinda agent are you then?
Depends on the state and other factors such as full eligibility, etc. Usually it's just the part b premium. Also depends on the chicken or the egg scenario.

But all this is usually more than the ponies want to get involved with. It's not included in the ahip punch bowl.

That’s a lot of words to admit you were wrong.

And I guarantee I’ve completed more Medicaid applications than you.
You probably have. Over here it's a referral system. Agents don't complete Medicaid applications.

And you probably helped design the space shuttles. I'm sure you'll tell us eventually ... But keep playing.

First, admit you were wrong about Medicaid paying supplement premiums.
Been seeing it for years now. Not wrong.
Second, what does a referral system have to do with filling out a Medicaid application?? I get referrals that need help applying for Medicaid.
Georgia agents do not complete Medicaid applications.

Drink some more punch and watch a youtube video. You'll feel better.

Back