MA Annual Enrollment vs. Open Enrollment

I was told that by law you can't have both an MA and a Supp.

Did I receive bad information? Or are the benefits co-ordinated?

Al

You can't have two Supps by law, IIRC. Technically you can have a Supp and MA but a Supp is worthless if you have MA. What the OP was getting at is that no one should drop a supp until their MA enrollment is confirmed. I think I only replaced one supp last enrollment season, mainly due to the high price of the plans I was selling. Almost all of my enrollments were people who only had Original Medicare who couldn't afford or qualify for a Supp.

Hi,
I'm a knew agent and have a question regarding open enrollment also. I was told that if you don't have all your credentials in place by November 15, that you will not be able to enroll anyone for MA. Is that true!

This is one of those hazy areas. Here I am going to express my opinion, so be careful...

I know of no regulation that will prevent you from selling MA plans after Nov 15th, AS LONG AS YOU GET APPOINTED AND CERTIFIED FIRST. In other words, you can't approach anyone to sell until you are qualified beforehand, and that could be as late as the last week of December. HOWEVER, the FMO (if you are independent) or the carrier (if you are captive) will most likely have a cutoff date for certification.

I doubt seriously you will get appointed and certified after November 15th, but that is just my opinion.

This is one of those hazy areas. Here I am going to express my opinion, so be careful...
the FMO (if you are independent) or the carrier (if you are captive) will most likely have a cutoff date for certification.....
I doubt seriously you will get appointed and certified after November 15th, but that is just my opinion.

I can't speak from personal experience yet, but I'm in the midst of trying to get appointed\certified now (Jan 2008), especially since it looks like UHC\Evercare for duals can be sold year-round. I have seen cutoffs (was it Humana?) but Evercare still looks open.

I sent my UHC app to my FMO on 11/14/07. I find out on 12/27/07 they (Secure Horizons got my app on 11/21/07) were waiting for my E/O. Amazing thing is I waited for my E/O to get written before sending my app with the E/O number on the front page. I refax my E/O on 12/27/07.

The next week )last week) I call Secure Horizons and they then tell me they had my E/O on 12/4/07 and it must have been someone else's E/O they were missing. Now they say they are just reviewing background check and I should be all set after that.

I called for 3 straight days last week and was told my file was pulled and on someone's desk and that they would call me back each day. No call.

Then on Friday I am told..."Sorry to say but we lost your app and could you refax it. (My dad was a postal worker, it's in my genes...grin)

My FMO has done nothing to help and never calls me back. Luckily I got signed on here in CT with Connecticare straight up with no FMO needed and it took less than a week. They by far have the best MA and MAPD for CT but I would like to have the Evercare SNP for the chronically ill folks.

I won't even begin to tell you about Healthnet...yes I will. I live in the only county in CT where the major hospital is not in network for Connecticare. So I need Healthnet for their zero premium MAPD. (we have about 150 senior clients in this county that are available to us that we can't market a zero premium plan to)

The manager at Healthnet has not returned 3 calls (trying to get appointed) and responded to my email with a "the next training is in February, I'll let you know when it is." Must be nice to have such a great job you don't need my 100 apps I could give them.

This was/is my first venture into the MAPD arena. Being in the reverse mortgage business I figured this would be some good money as well as find future reverse mortgage clients.

Combine all that with the appointment setting company crap that went down today and I'm wondering...why?

But...being that I've been through tougher things I'm sure eventually I'll come out the other side just fine.

Last edited:
I sent my UHC app to my FMO on 11/14/07. I find out on 12/27/07 they (Secure Horizons got my app on 11/21/07) were waiting for my E/O. Amazing thing is I waited for my E/O to get written before sending my app with the E/O number on the front page. I refax my E/O on 12/27/07.

The next week )last week) I call Secure Horizons and they then tell me they had my E/O on 12/4/07 and it must have been someone else's E/O they were missing. Now they say they are just reviewing background check and I should be all set after that.

I called for 3 straight days last week and was told my file was pulled and on someone's desk and that they would call me back each day. No call.

Then on Friday I am told..."Sorry to say but we lost your app and could you refax it. (My dad was a postal worker, it's in my genes...grin)

My FMO has done nothing to help and never calls me back. Luckily I got signed on here in CT with Connecticare straight up with no FMO needed and it took less than a week. They by far have the best MA and MAPD for CT but I would like to have the Evercare SNP for the chronically ill folks.

I won't even begin to tell you about Healthnet...yes I will. I live in the only county in CT where the major hospital is not in network for Connecticare. So I need Healthnet for their zero premium MAPD. (we have about 150 senior clients in this county that are available to us that we can't market a zero premium plan to)

The manager at Healthnet has not returned 3 calls (trying to get appointed) and responded to my email with a "the next training is in February, I'll let you know when it is." Must be nice to have such a great job you don't need my 100 apps I could give them.

This was/is my first venture into the MAPD arena. Being in the reverse mortgage business I figured this would be some good money as well as find future reverse mortgage clients.

Combine all that with the appointment setting company crap that went down today and I'm wondering...why?

But...being that I've been through tougher things I'm sure eventually I'll come out the other side just fine.

I'm in Stamford....where are you located at?

Last edited:
Back