MAN... This is Tough!!!

Charles-
I've been working on this too. What I've found out so far is that with Superior Access, you can write for multiple companies, but you aren't directly appointed with them and therefore don't have binding authority, nor is your name on anything as the agent of record. With Smart Choice, they work to help you get the direct appointments, but still no guarantee. Superior Access has two different plans: a fee only plan, or a lower fee plus commission split plan. Smart Choice is just a commission split.

I'm attempting to get the appointments myself with a few carriers, and only after I've exhausted all of my options will I resort to going through one of these companies.

I hope this helps you out a little...

Amber

I would think getting direct appointment would be easier today than ever. I've never had so many companies approach me than have in the past year.

Fuzz, it may be easy for an established agency but scratch agents are finding a hard time getting direct appointments unless we use wholesalers.

The only preferred companies that offered to appoint me were Erie and Encompass. I'm currently going through the appointment process with Erie, Progressive, and Foremost now but I thought it would a lot easier than it was.

The only way to start out and own your business if you have no experience is going through Superior Access, which is horrible for service I've found, or working under an agent that allows you to keep your business and roll it into a direct appointment.

Fuzz, it may be easy for an established agency but scratch agents are finding a hard time getting direct appointments unless we use wholesalers.

The only preferred companies that offered to appoint me were Erie and Encompass. I'm currently going through the appointment process with Erie, Progressive, and Foremost now but I thought it would a lot easier than it was.

The only way to start out and own your business if you have no experience is going through Superior Access, which is horrible for service I've found, or working under an agent that allows you to keep your business and roll it into a direct appointment.

I apologize, I didn't know it would be that tough....congratulations on the Erie appt...you should be very happy with them on MOST everything you do. They have fewer issues than others and have been very good to me for many years.

I ran a quote for a client yesterday, they are currently with Farmers. They have two cars and a condo policy. I saved them $1,600 a year!! I could not beleive it myself!! and yes, the coverage limits were apples to apples. FYI.. I'm in Washington State.

They didn't buy from you coz they didnt trust you. Your focused on the wrong thing my friend. Don't assume that the customer wants to save money on insurance, they probably do but don't assume it and its never solely about price. Ask simply questions like "besides price, what else is important to you in an insurance company" and build a rapport with them to gain their trust. You need to clearly qualify your clients and listen listen listen. If your trying to gain your customers by price then you will lose them by price when the next cold caller finds them a deal 10 less. I would suggest some good sales training and learn to sell rather than clerk.

the beutiful advantage an indy has is simple...if an approach isnt working, try a different angle...for example.

If your struggling getting in appt with med sup, try FE and cross over later or vise versa. lots of different ways to prospect and eventually get to where you want to go

I got all my appointments (8 different carriers, personal lines), office set up, business cards, etc..... I'm 3 weeks into this and 2 policies. DAMN, this is not easy.

I knew this was going to be a challenge, but didn't think it would be so hard to get people to change carriers, when I can save them money.

I'm going to start canvassing every business within a 1 mile radius of my office, looking for a networking group (BNI or LETIP)....any other suggestions?

Hi Redgo - you need to market yourself heavily, get your name and business out there and known!

What types of insurance do you offer and who's your target market? If you're just looking to work with business owners to offer employee benefits, I would recommend you do a saturation mailing within a 5-10 mile radius of businesses surrounding your office with revenues of $100,000 or more. You can also include the amount of employees the company has.

If you're looking to hit a certain industry such as general contractors or perhaps hit up HR managers to market workers compensation insurance, etc. you'll have to tailor your marketing message to fit your audience.

I would recommend you do a saturation mailing within a 5-10 mile radius of businesses surrounding your office with revenues of $100,000 or more.

The idea of a mailing may be a good idea. I would however for other mailing services other than postcard mania. My experience was very poor.

They did a great job of customer service until I paid my money. After that, nothing. In fact, they screwed up my mailing so badly that I finally received a refund for part.

This was years ago so maybe they changed management/owner and are different company.

Rick

The idea of a mailing may be a good idea. I would however for other mailing services other than postcard mania. My experience was very poor.

They did a great job of customer service until I paid my money. After that, nothing. In fact, they screwed up my mailing so badly that I finally received a refund for part.

This was years ago so maybe they changed management/owner and are different company.

Rick

Hey Rick,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you had in working with our company, PostcardMania. I did not personally work on your order so I'm not sure exactly what happened on our end, but I would be more than happy to assist you in fixing any problems that are outstanding or you are not happy with.

We service over 45,000 business owners and with that amount of traffic, I can understand how there could be slip-ups, I assure you these are few and far between. However, that doesn't justify the fact that you had a lousy experience and we want to make it right!

If you have any questions or need assistance - don't hesitate to contact me.

Rick

Direct Mail | Postcard Printing | Postcard Printing, Marketing & Bulk Mail | PostcardMania 5,000 postcards for $329

Last edited:
Back