NAA- Zero to 100Million in 4 years- WOW

I've been using Info USA at the library
If you don't mind me asking, what SIC codes or industries do you use. I did a search and businesses that began with numbers and letters took up the first 7 pages. I tailored the search to my county and up to 20 employees. I know some industries are eager to buy and will stick more than others.

Supergirl,

The best way to find what your looking for is to identify one company in the industry that you want to do business with. Then pull up that company by name on the Referance USA from the library. Once that is up, click on "details".

Detailed information will give you everything you need to know to do a more refined search. I've found SIC codes are not as specific as the NAICS codes are. Write down the SIC and NAIC numbers for that industry in case you need both and go back to the parameters for the search and enter them.

If you don't want to get to overloaded, use the city, state and NAICS code as well as under 20 employees. You'll get everything you need to begin. As you play with the system, you'll become much better with it.

Good Luck,

Wait a minute! I've been the one touting ReferenceUSA, and SOMARCO gets the credit? You bunch of woims!

It really doesn't matter.

I'm just glad we can spread the word on developing our own leads, not paying for them, and getting a better response rate. When you develop your own leads, the prospect doesn't have 10 other reps calling for the same thing.

They are a bit more relaxed, and less defensive. More open to your call. The need may not be immediate, but at least you have the beginnings of a relationship, and aren't just another telemarketing call.

In my efforts to go to a completely paperless society, I have both my CRM (FreeCRM.com) up, along with either ReferenceUSA, or acinet.org/acinet, and plug names into scripts and call away.

I have still yet to be persuaded to buy any leads from anybody.

We're at the point when we explain why almost all new agents fail - not enough money to do effective marketing and to scared to do some form of cold calling.

"to scared to do some form of cold calling.'

VERY TRUE!

These database's are far from secret, its what you do with the info. that matters.

Live by the saying -

"Were judged on our actions and not are intentions"

Example-

How many biz owners did you talk to doday?

"Well, was going to call then decided to go in person but by the time I got gas in the car it was late and had a spot on my shirt.......

We're at the point when we explain why almost all new agents fail - not enough money to do effective marketing and to scared to do some form of cold calling.

I am a new agent and I can honestly say that I do have some fear before cold calling and going B2B. Because I am new, I am not afraid to ask what industries to target. For instance, you guys said not to prospect chains and target businesses with 20 or less employees. There are alot of chains in TX and when I researched on ReferenceUSA the list is overwhelming. I am sure the veterans know of which industries are prime to start targeting. I am just trying to hit the ground running and take the most beneficial path. My fear isn't as big as my drive to succeed; however if I don't have a good road map the ride is futile.

Supergirl,

No need to concern yourself about what the others are saying on this forum. There already experienced agents so they may not remember what it was like starting out. I'm fairly new to this as well so I can relate to you on it.

I've used the Referance USA on many things but never insurance so I can't recomend any specific industries however, Industries don't matter. The size of the company is what matters most. If I were you, I'd hit any business that has under 10 employees and just cold call by walking in on them.

Some helpful hints are to stay out of high traffic areas like very developed and busy cities. There cold called all day long and many times a day. I'm in Chicagoland and they can get pretty mean. When I used to walk in on businesses I found staying very small and in a rural area got a better response.

Most companies go out of business in the first year so even with your well defined list, you won't find close to half of them. On those you do, you need an opening line that is fast, to the point and non offensive along with a flyer to leave behind. You can say something like this, Anybody want a free quote on inexpensive life insurance? If someone says yes, your in for a few minutes to get information. If they say no, your on to the next one in only a couple of seconds.

On a flyer, have some information in a bullet format that is easy to read and right to the point.
LOWEST COST LIFE INSURANCE IN CHICAGO
NO MEDICAL EXAMS UP TO 250,000
RATES GURANTEED NOT TO INCREASE

Give an example: Age, Sex, Non Smoker. 50,000 for 10 years 12.00 a month.

Then leave your name & number.

The flyer information came from another person on this forum. I'll tell you who he is if you send me a private email, in case you'd like to speak with him.

Your going to do just fine!

staying very small and in a rural area got a better response

True for a lot of reasons.

As you said, hi traffic areas get a lot of D2D peddlers. Work the outlying areas where people are generally more friendly and don't have as many interruptions from cold calls.

I have a friend in the bank card business. He works 3 days a week, gets up early in the AM and drives about an hour out of town. Spends all day calling on shops in small towns. Writes 3 - 4 deals a day. Makes more money in 3 days than most of his competitors do in 6.

Thanks guys for your advice! That makes sense to me. I live in a metropolitan city as well, but there are some rural cities I know I can hit.

I hope I never get to a point where I am pessimistic about all new agents. It's true that you can give advice and some people won't use it, but there are some that will (me!). Let's not forget that everyone has had someone help them at some point along the way.

somarco said:
staying very small and in a rural area got a better response

True for a lot of reasons.

As you said, hi traffic areas get a lot of D2D peddlers. Work the outlying areas where people are generally more friendly and don't have as many interruptions from cold calls.

I have a friend in the bank card business. He works 3 days a week, gets up early in the AM and drives about an hour out of town. Spends all day calling on shops in small towns. Writes 3 - 4 deals a day. Makes more money in 3 days than most of his competitors do in 6.

The problem I perceive with rural B2B, and the reason I have not done a lot of walkin' and talkin', is sheer numbers. I live in a rural area and assuming a 5% response, in order to get 1 lead I would have to walk into 20 businesses. This would take about 2 hours. Assuming I could close 1 out of 5:

1 deal = 5 leads
5 leads = 100 business
100 businesses = 10 hours B2B
...and a lot of gas.

Again, this is only my perception, which has been enough to keep me away from B2B in my area.
I can accomplish a lot more cold calling on the phone.

Back