Need Advise on what Company to Go with

So what I learned from all this is that PA is a blood sucking vampire and screws their people over. So rule number 1. stay away from most captive cluster groups! Rule number 2. Stay away from PA!

Well its true as far as their annual reports indicate. Also not sure if you've viewed their "Accumulated Earners" chart and applied the fine print below it, but it basically indicates that only 1% of all reps since 1977 ever broke the $50k level during any best 12 month rolling window, including advances. There have been 349,167 individual reps since 2009 alone. And 100's of thousands more since 1977. Interesting to note that between 2008 and 2014, only 804 reps were added to that list, while at the same time 208,240 new licensed reps were added at some point.

Interesting. I never read their financial reports, I know the average agent makes like $6,950/year. The company tells you to disclose that whenever you mention earnings, but I never see people do it.

What's up with insurance agents referring to themselves as financial advisors or financial planners? I thought those were regulated titles?

This is interesting. So what is a really good life insurance company for newly licensed independent agent to go with since his 3 are not? I knew Primerica was MLM for awhile. I wouldn't risk my license with a company like that. I'm looking to sell term, whole, and universal. Maybe fixed and indexed annuities. Don't want a series 6 as don't want to sell variable products even though have 215. If I wanted to be a financial advisor I would've gotten a series 7 and went with broker. I'm looking for something else when Medicare and health sales are slow. Pretty much ruled out Ohio National as they won't talk commission structure and have heard they're low on commission side. I'm not one to be pushed into signing a contract. Ethics is very important to me in picking a company. Looking for company using technology like tablets/laptops. How are Transamerica and Nationwide? Looks like Nationwide has variety of fixed products. Any other suggestions? I'm sure original poster wants suggestions too not fighting about Primerica and how bad they are or aren't.

This is interesting. So what is a really good life insurance company for newly licensed independent agent to go with since his 3 are not? I knew Primerica was MLM for awhile. I wouldn't risk my license with a company like that. I'm looking to sell term, whole, and universal. Maybe fixed and indexed annuities. Don't want a series 6 as don't want to sell variable products even though have 215. If I wanted to be a financial advisor I would've gotten a series 7 and went with broker. I'm looking for something else when Medicare and health sales are slow. Pretty much ruled out Ohio National as they won't talk commission structure and have heard they're low on commission side. I'm not one to be pushed into signing a contract. Ethics is very important to me in picking a company. Looking for company using technology like tablets/laptops. How are Transamerica and Nationwide? Looks like Nationwide has variety of fixed products. Any other suggestions? I'm sure original poster wants suggestions too not fighting about Primerica and how bad they are or aren't.

Ohio National has a very decent structure if you're in a PPGA (independent) state. Otherwise, you're either a career agent, or contracted through a career agency as a broker.

Interesting. I never read their financial reports, I know the average agent makes like $6,950/year. The company tells you to disclose that whenever you mention earnings, but I never see people do it.

What's up with insurance agents referring to themselves as financial advisors or financial planners? I thought those were regulated titles?

I believe their latest average is in the $6300/yr range but its a highly misleading figure especially considering they had 106,000 reps last year and could certainly break it down over different levels. Based on their avg policies sold per rep was 2.44 for the year, the annual premiums would need to be in $12k range which is an impossibility, especially when their stated average face value was $241k. However, it looks better on paper for them. As true with most MLMs, I suspect the earnings of the top 5% highly skewers the average upwards.

Last edited:
Ohio National has a very decent structure if you're in a PPGA (independent) state. Otherwise, you're either a career agent, or contracted through a career agency as a broker.

Appreciate it. Yes I thought they would be good as Florida is one of their PPGA independent states. However, I honestly wasn't too impressed with initial contact with them. The manager that contacted me did not impress me at all and corporate mailed the same materials that I already saw online. Tell me what your different commission structures are without wasting my time over a meeting. If they give me a number I don't like I'm not going to waste time and fuel meeting a manager. If you can't explain available commission structures in an email or phone call, it looks like you're trying to hide something. I need to know a range of what my potential commission structure might be. I'll meet you in person and consider a contract if the commission structure meets my expectations. It just really turned me off to them. I was very disappointed in Ohio National after high expectations from looking at their website and comments seen on other boards.

So you were an agent with them for two weeks? How long have you been licensed?

Yes, I was only an agent there for two weeks, but I was there for a few months. I left in January.

----------

I believe their latest average is in the $6300/yr range but its a highly misleading figure especially considering they had 106,000 reps last year and could certainly break it down over different levels. Based on their avg policies sold per rep was 2.44 for the year, the annual premiums would need to be in $12k range which is an impossibility, especially when their stated average face value was $241k. However, it looks better on paper for them. As true with most MLMs, I suspect the earnings of the top 5% highly skewers the average upwards.

The numbers are court mandated or something. People were afraid to state them, but I always did. It's not like people were quitting their job to do Primerica full time, an extra $6-7K a year was worth $100 to join for most people.

"The numbers are court mandated or something. People were afraid to state them, but I always did. It's not like people were quitting their job to do Primerica full time, an extra $6-7K a year was worth $100 to join for most people."

The contradiction tho is if the policies sold per rep is averaging in the 2 1/2 range annually, that $6-7K figure only applies to some people. The vast majority are well below that while the top feeders are pulling in 6-7 digits. And the $100 sign up fee is just the beginning. Corporate Primerica collects POL fees and marketing materials. And at the baseshop level there are other charges for training materials or special guest seminars. Attending a recommended Landmark forum or the Atlanta convention could also be added expenses should reps choose.

When you consider that its strongly suggested that reps attend two weekly office meetings accounting for 30 hrs for month alone, on top of their actual selling time and expenses, the return on that sign up fee becomes much less attractive.

Last edited:
Back