New 19 year old Agent looking for guidance

Probably the most useful thing I've read wasn't even fully aware banks used FA's. Would you recommend going independent ?

The problem is that I don't know you. All I know is that you are (or did) work for Banker's Life. I'm also going to assume that you don't have a college degree. (I don't either, but I've also been around the block a few times.)

If you want to work with people's retirement money and get securities licensing, then getting with a bank or CU would be a great step.

Yes, you could "go independent"... but you may not yet know what you don't yet know. I think it would be far smarter to learn under the wing of an experienced advisor, rather than trying to learn on your own.

You're only 19. You have plenty of time to learn this business and to learn how to get older people to trust you. Plus, you can study for your designations, such as CFP (they require a Bachelor's degree though), FSCP or LUTCF (sales designation), ChFC, CLU, RICP, etc. Some will say that you don't need them. I think they are a great foundation to learn and bring additional expertise and insight into the client relationship. Might as well have a big firm pay for them for you too.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Michael Kitces (while not a fan of insurance sales anyway) just posted this video about breaking into the industry. I think it's a good addition for this thread. In short, invest in yourself with a non-sales job initially while building up your skills, training, and even certifications/designations.

Hey, i stumbled upon this forum not too long ago and I've gotten a lot of valuable resources from the forums so far, so i finally decided to make an account and ask questions i have.
I've only been an agent for a few months, and mostly everything i have learned so far as came from reading articles and really trying to master my craft on my own time the company i work for is Bankers life, which i'm looking to get completely away from as soon as possible. I'm only licensed in L/H and i'm looking to go independent what exactly are my options? should i go get my P&C and go captive? i'm extremely lost on what i should do to make this a career, right now mainly the FA role is what has my upmost interest any advice or criticism would be very appreciated.

Hey there. You can go to my youtube channel by clicking the link in my signature. It will provide you hundreds of videos to show you how to be successful in this business.

Nick

No. I mean they were told they could actually see doctors and have decent coverage. It seems the company loves to tell people that they are choosing a Cigna PPO Plan. When I dig deeper I find out it’s a US health plan. I then inform them they do not have Cigna, but have access to one of Cigna’s networks. But it seems it must be a network specific for US health because the network is horrible. After that I let them know that their plan may cover low cost doctor visits but god forbid they actually need to really use the plan.
I don’t do any health under 65 but if I did, I value my license too much to offer US health.
Patty(don't)believes you. :laugh:

Back