New 19 year old Agent looking for guidance

I am also new to the industry, but a little older than you. I just started training with US Health Advisors. The training is 8 weeks long; and the first year will be the toughest. I have made a pledge with myself to give this experience a year, before I make any changes to my career trajectory. I am hoping I won’t need to make any changes, but if I do it will be because I gave it my all on my part to make it work.

You have only been with the company for a month. My advice is give it more time. People will answer your post putting your employer down, or how they do business. It’s never a good idea to put your employer down on open forums; it doesn’t make the detractor look good. People can only speak from their experiences and this field is way to big to take one experience as the one and true way that company does business.

Always good to ask questions, know multiple sides of the same issue and grow in knowledge. I hope this is helpful to you.

Pattybelieves

Hi Patty, 8 week training, it sounds like you are working out of the Delray Beach office. Our office is in Jupiter. Let me know if I can help you with anything. I'll look for you on Monday' webinar.

Hi Patty, 8 week training, it sounds like you are working out of the Delray Beach office. Our office is in Jupiter. Let me know if I can help you with anything. I'll look for you on Monday' webinar.
Hi Joseph! Nice to see you here. I am in Ft. Myers on Patrick’s team. I look forward to helping other people everyday along side of you.

Pattybelieves

Hey, i stumbled upon this forum not too long ago and I've gotten a lot of valuable resources from the forums so far, so i finally decided to make an account and ask questions i have.
I've only been an agent for a few months, and mostly everything i have learned so far as came from reading articles and really trying to master my craft on my own time the company i work for is Bankers life, which i'm looking to get completely away from as soon as possible. I'm only licensed in L/H and i'm looking to go independent what exactly are my options? should i go get my P&C and go captive? i'm extremely lost on what i should do to make this a career, right now mainly the FA role is what has my upmost interest any advice or criticism would be very appreciated.

You are very fortunate to already be started in the business at such a young age. I was an old man of 23 after 4 years of military service when I got started.

If you were my younger brother, I would advise you try to find a job as the guy that meets with people at their job to help them with their companies various insurance packages. It's called being a worksite benefits enroller.

Its a job. It isn't something that you will want to make a career out of , because there isn't a lot of money in it , and you don't own the client relationship. But what you will get from that type of job is a TON of experience with different types of insurance products, and different types of people that will accelerate your skills a few years down the road in only a few short months.

Just my 2 cents.

Not to be contrary, but I have a different recommendation that would help him get closer to his goals: Go work at a bank or credit union. You could even be an assistant to a financial advisor and learn the business that way. You could even be sponsored for your securities licenses as well (6, 63, 7, 65/66, etc.). During that time, you can also study for and earn industry designations. This can help with overcoming "age bias" that generally favors older people (and grey hair) over being young.

CUSO Financial Services is a credit union "service organization" that contracts their services to various credit unions. They are a VERY GOOD broker/dealer to be affiliated with. They have various positions - assistant positions - all over the country. It would be worth checking out. Your experience in selling insurance solutions would be compatible for such a position, but these aren't selling positions. Once you've got your "foot in the door", you can get your other licenses and find other opportunities.

https://cusonet.com/join-our-team/apply-now/

Alternatively, you could also get a job as a banker and eventually be sponsored for your licenses as well. It just depends on what's available to you to take advantage of these opportunities. But being a banker (and doing teller stuff on occasion) can be helpful for learning how to deal with people and their money - an emotional topic for almost everyone. If you're good with your sales numbers as a banker, you can eventually be sponsored for licenses or even transfer to the advisor division.

I've done all 3 - I was a banker, then I was a service manager, both at Wells Fargo Bank. When I left the bank to go to American Express Financial Advisors (now Ameriprise) to get my licenses (7 & 66), I left them quickly after learning more about them and became an assistant to a financial advisor in a credit union. It's a longer process, and you'll still want to get sales & marketing training... but it's not necessarily a bad way to go.

If you’re working at US health advisors, my advice would be to keep other career possibilities open. I can’t tell you how often I get a call that someone got scammed with their insurance.

Back