No One is Picking Up the Phone...

I use to but now it's 25% cold calling & 75% referral for health insurance. That being said I'm going to hit the phones next week for dental insurance.

What hours of the day are you calling Consider a dialer where you can change the caller id to a non-toll free number? Are you calling targeted lists for the products' target demographic you're selling?

These are all key points and it's all about the details.

As someone whos fairly new, I am not sure what to make of this article. My limited experience wants to agree and a but the salesman in me wants to say this guy is making excuses.

I noticed that the article never got into alternatives.

There are alternatives. However, this article doesn't offer any solutions. My point is that I think phone cold calling is a losing propositions unless it is to the work place. With DNC laws, cell phones, and almost universal caller ID who is going to answer?

Last edited:
Your only reaching or talking to a super small segment of society and these are the people that talk to all of the telemarketers. These folks are battle hardened. That is of course when someone answers the phone.

There are alternatives. However, this article doesn't offer any solutions. My point is that I think phone cold calling is a losing propositions unless it is to the work place. With DNC laws, cell phones, and almost universal caller ID who is going to answer?

I can't really argue with that. I've sold via cold call but it took a lot of dials and a lot of people before I made the sale. I think with a dialer and good list it can be done but I have to image that in the 70's and 80's the landscape was different.

I can't really argue with that. I've sold via cold call but it took a lot of dials and a lot of people before I made the sale. I think with a dialer and good list it can be done but I have to image that in the 70's and 80's the landscape was different.

The landscape was much, much different then.

I've cold called with the finger...no dialers...have to make minimum of 250-300 calls a day to make money. It can be done, but it's tough.

Back