No One is Picking Up the Phone...

I've cold called with the finger...no dialers...have to make minimum of 250-300 calls a day to make money. It can be done, but it's tough.

Back in the day before caller Id I use to set 10-13 appointments for the week....I would dial from 8 am until 9 pm with very little if any breaks. Wasn't too bad once you got in a grove and got a few set. I havent cold called in a couple of years. Caller ID has made it a little tougher.

Back in the day before caller Id I use to set 10-13 appointments for the week....I would dial from 8 am until 9 pm with very little if any breaks. Wasn't too bad once you got in a grove and got a few set. I havent cold called in a couple of years. Caller ID has made it a little tougher.

Caller ID has made it much much tougher.

Some SIP voip provider will allow you to set not only the caller id but also the phone number.

As long as you own the number, you should be fine.

It's just me, I appreciate the recommendation. Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that makes their living 100% off of the phone?

I do 100% phone and webinars, mostly health. I found this thread by searching for other peoples results concerning the mojo dialer since I recently signed up. Today I used only 2 lines (can use up to 3) and made 110 dials in 1 hour. That is 55 calls per hour/per line. I plan on stepping it up to 3 lines come Monday. With that said, running 3 lines, that should equal approx. 165 calls per hour. Do you realize how long it would take dialing 165 numbers by hand??

With that said, what I like best about Mojo is that it is ran off of copper lines and is cloud based. I simply log in, call the number given on my screen and PRESTO: It starts dialing. I live in a rural area with crappy dsl and have tried two other dialers but there was either a delay or most of the time I was breaking up on them or vice versa (meaning they automatically KNEW I was some sort of telemarketer and I got no where!). Not so with Mojo. It's like if I were calling from one land line to another.

In regards to caller id: The system allows you to input any number you choose. I dial from my home office so I simply use my home landline as the caller id because some people will call YOU back and say "Hi, this is ______, I missed your call earlier?".

Hope that helps.

I'm new to cold calling and from what I understand its a numbers game when it comes to success. No one seems to be picking up the phone though. I spoke to one person out of 100 calls and the person was already a customer (should have scrubbed the list).

How should I fix the problem?

I was having the same problem. Try alternating the list by calling one day in the morning and the next in the evening

I still have a land line with caller ID. I do not answer any call I perceive to be a sales call or a charitable or political contribution call. No telemarketer can reach me on that line.

Same here...when I had a land line we were on the DNC list.....I call screen my business (and cell) and will not pick up on what I feel is a telemarketer....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No I do not cold call. I have always warm called. I would think that cold call would be a very tough way to make contact with prospects except in certain limited situations.

How do you get them to the "warm call" stage?

Last edited:
Same here...when I had a land line we were on the DNC list.....I call screen my business (and cell) and will not pick up on what I feel is a telemarketer....

How do you get them to the "warm call" stage?

Same here I do not answer my cell if I do not recognize the number. I even wait till the end of the day to listen to the voicemails and hit delete on most as they introduce themselves.

Same here I do not answer my cell if I do not recognize the number. I even wait till the end of the day to listen to the voicemails and hit delete on most as they introduce themselves.

For B2B, I found e-mail is the new way to cold call. In the individual market the DNC has all but killed the ability to make effective cold calls. The e-mail is very effective in staging the call, it acts as a prelude and prepares the prospects some idea as to why you're calling. Another observation i've seen is e-mails have a much higher response rate than call back, go figure.

What do you do about the FTC 3% cap on dropped calls? With 2 lines being dialed and only one agent to answer, you can hit that 3% rather quickly. I believe you still have 30 days to bring it down back under 3%, so you'll have to switch to one line being dialed if you're percentage starts to go up.

I'm new to cold calling and from what I understand its a numbers game when it comes to success. No one seems to be picking up the phone though. I spoke to one person out of 100 calls and the person was already a customer (should have scrubbed the list).

How should I fix the problem?

Not trying to be negative towards you..... But 100 calls is an hours worth of work.

Use a VoIP provider, purchase 10 different phone numbers in 10 different areas you work, rotate the caller ID once very time you go thru the list. Make sure each number goes into a VM box stating who you are and why your calling, (a mini pitch) and allow the person an opportunity to contact you via a live number and leave a message to be put on your DNC list. You need to be as legal as you can.

I didn't catch if your trying to telesale, or set appointments. If setting appointments, then call Monday for Tuesday appts, Wednesday for Thursday etc. breaks up week and if you can get enough appts from one days calling great.

The key to appointment setting for me is, be an appointment setter, follow a very strict script and do not deviate from it, if you try and pre qualify to much you will fail, remember in a 3 min call you have not earned the right to ask too many pre qualifying question, and to get you off the phone they will take the path of least resistance.

Lastly shoot for 500 to 600 dials a day.
It's just me, I appreciate the recommendation. Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that makes their living 100% off of the phone?

Yes, I do, for the last 5 years straight, before that it was f2f.
Between the DNC and caller ID you will be lucky to reach 5% of your market. I know more agents having more success knocking doors than telemarketing these days..

I disagree, depending on the area you call the DNC knocks out 40% to 60%, Iowa alone has 50,000 (approx) seniors 65+ that are legal to call it would take him 100 days to go thru the list once and that is if he dialed 500 numbers a day. If he called 3 days a week at 500 dials a day that's 33 weeks before he would have finished that list, and you can recycle lists so many times before its saturated.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience.

Lastly everyone on here who says I'm on the DNC list and I don't answer unless I know who it is etc, I get what your saying but, are we the type of people that buy over the phone or set appts over the phone, NO, wether we are on the DNC or not we wouldn't do it, that is why we are on the dnc list and have safe guards against telemarketers, cuz we don't do it. Point is we don't want to call ourselves because we are not viable clients.

Hope make sense.
What hours of the day are you calling Consider a dialer where you can change the caller id to a non-toll free number? Are you calling targeted lists for the products' target demographic you're selling?

These are all key points and it's all about the details.

Cory is spot on, the list can change the game completely.

Last edited:
Back