Prospecting/ My 20 Point Day System

Atlas said:
" "So you'd rather have 2 $5,000 apps than 10 $1,000 apps? "

Man what small apps. Lets try 5 1,000,000 apps vs 1 5,000,000 app.

What company even sells 5,000 apps? You must selling old people enough to put them in the ground.

Atlas, I believe he was talking about annual premium not face amount.

Most of my apps are 250,000 or bigger. Mostly term that will convert to WL or UL later.

Ah, a permanent guy. I hope you're not one of those that believes EVERYONE should have permanent coverage. Or one of those that thinks a permanent plan is the ultimate retirement planning tool.

The truth is some of these industry giants are simply highly talented agents. Don't think talent doesn't exist in this industry because it does. And it also cannot be duplicated by reading any book or memorizing any pitch.

But you can make up for being less talented by hard work and generating many leads. I am, at best, a very average agent with average closing skills. I make up for that by generating a lot of leads.

What the industry giants teach is correct; work hard, generate your own leads and provide outstanding customer service. What they're leaving out of the equation is their incredibly high level of sales talent. Imagine Maria Carey writing a book on how to sing. You could read it cover to cover and you'll never have a 7 octave range.

The shame is I see people in this industry with immense talent who are not hard workers and also hard workers with no sales talent. Both are doomed to failure.

I see far too many agents with the personality of a stale cracker reading all these books and wondering where they're going wrong. I've heard a ton of agents on the phone following proven scripts but their voice is flat. They can't figure out why they can't set appointments.

I've watched agents at presentation follow proven scripts almost word for word yet can't close a barn door with a tractor. They were born without peronalities and cannot relate to people.

So it's not all about following some type of system. Sometimes you can do everything right and the bottom line is you might not be cut out for sales.

arnguy said:
Flatfive, what do mean by your one word posting: gone? :?

it's called a suicide post.......means he ain't coming back to interact......

sman said:
Ah, a permanent guy. I hope you're not one of those that believes EVERYONE should have permanent coverage.

It wouldn't be any worse than those that say EVERYONE should have nothing but term, although I would say your average person should have more term than perm.

Or one of those that thinks a permanent plan is the ultimate retirement planning tool.

:lol: I doubt most would ever call it the "ultimate" retirement planning tool. But it is an ideal vehicle to put a significant portion of funds into for some people.

john_petrowski said:
The truth is some of these industry giants are simply highly talented agents. Don't think talent doesn't exist in this industry because it does. And it also cannot be duplicated by reading any book or memorizing any pitch.

But you can make up for being less talented by hard work and generating many leads. I am, at best, a very average agent with average closing skills. I make up for that by generating a lot of leads.

What the industry giants teach is correct; work hard, generate your own leads and provide outstanding customer service. What they're leaving out of the equation is their incredibly high level of sales talent. Imagine Maria Carey writing a book on how to sing. You could read it cover to cover and you'll never have a 7 octave range.

The shame is I see people in this industry with immense talent who are not hard workers and also hard workers with no sales talent. Both are doomed to failure.

I see far too many agents with the personality of a stale cracker reading all these books and wondering where they're going wrong. I've heard a ton of agents on the phone following proven scripts but their voice is flat. They can't figure out why they can't set appointments.

I've watched agents at presentation follow proven scripts almost word for word yet can't close a barn door with a tractor. They were born without peronalities and cannot relate to people.

So it's not all about following some type of system. Sometimes you can do everything right and the bottom line is you might not be cut out for sales.

Great post!

What you're going to find is that great success happens when talent and drive meet opportunity. Take any one of those factors out: drive, talent or opportunity and you'll be beating your head against the wall.

NHB_MMA said:
It wouldn't be any worse than those that say EVERYONE should have nothing but term, although I would say your average person should have more term than perm.

Agreed.

:lol: I doubt most would ever call it the "ultimate" retirement planning tool. But it is an ideal vehicle to put a significant portion of funds into for some people.

You're right, MOST wouldn't call it the ultimate retirement tool, but I know some who will recommend a WL, EIUL or VUL over investing in a 401k or Roth IRA. That's just scary. The "significant" portion of funds should only come after one has maxed out all other deferred options.

" Ah, a permanent guy. I hope you're not one of those that believes EVERYONE should have permanent coverage. "

How can you do a 412i, Def Comp, Split Dollar, Rev. Split Dollar, Executive Bonus, plan without WL/UL?

WL is not the all end all and everyone does not need it. However term is not useful for some cases.

Anyone who sells only WL or only term is crazy. Sometimes the need is for WL. Like estate planning you need WL, you need to make sure it stays in force for life. Anyone who does not see how good WL is for some cases needs to go and study the product and the laws and regs.

It is not as much product as much as it is process. The main goal of LI is to do a job. What fits the job best and why it fits the best what you need to know. When you know what fits the best that is what you sell.

Back