Suing my insurance agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, it's my fault. I am the one who signed it but I feel was going one way and I was hijacked. I was looking for cheap term and don't know how the hell I was convinced that I don't know anything about retirement and it was upto to him to save me from being dependent on the social security which, by the way, will run out in 2022 as you all agents know. I should direct all my 401k funds towards this because this is tax free and as he is a financial adviser, I should completely trust him. And this had so much death benefit(same amount I wanted my term to be) that the it sucked up all my yearly 401k contribution and more, because this one gives me protection as well as tax free retirement. hear that? tax free! beat that 401k!

sorry I am rambling. I am not in the best frames of mind.

It seems to me that you knew you weren’t buying term, that being said I would first contact the insurance companies compliance department and tell them what happened. If that does not work file a complaint with your state insurance department and tell them how you where sold a life insurance policy as a retirement plan, then let your agent explain to them why life insurance is better than a 401k. If that doesn’t work you can take him to small claims court (although it has a limit on what you can recover) and once again let a judge or jury decide if life insurance is a retirement plan. People use life insurance to save for retirement but I only recommend it after ALL other retirement options are maxed out.

Thanks, I don't think the above 3 points would do me any good other than tipping off my agent about the impending lawsuit.

Since all civil suits require disclosure, there's not anything to worry about in "tipping off" your agent.

Someone attacked me and with the frame of mind I am in, just flew off the handle. I don't need coverage after term runs out. To that, his "objection" was that I would need retirement income. "Objection" get it? that's how you get trained, don't you? They are not our "objections". They are our firm "No".

But you came back and said yes. So it wasn't firm. You AGREED to fully trust your retirement to an insurance agent. The agent didn't lie. Any "betrayal" is on account of your own judgement failing to think this through all the way. You knew he was a salesman being paid commission. It's your responsibility to weigh the advice of ANYONE against your own judgement based on what you want in life. You made a decision and it didn't work out the way you wanted. Who is to blame?

Maybe you needed to learn a lesson. Those who are too quick to sign don't do very well in life. And I say this as someone who has also had to learn some lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back