The Door Knock Life

It’s funny .I talk with a friend who’s a door knocking animal . . I won’t name him but he’s fought a very high vol agent tooth and nail for yrs . We talk 10 times a day . I was going to send him a pic of my knuckles with ketchup all over them signifying bloody knuckles .

Everybody was friendly! Just awesome people.

My experince has been that people in general are friendly and awesome, though most are understandably guarded when they first open the door.

Hence, the importance of the ice-breaker ... can be a little funy saying or joke, a comment on something you seee on their property ("hey, is that a '69 Chevelle in your gargae?") or simply handing them something to read ... "I'm sharing this important info with your neighbors ..."

upload_2021-7-3_8-7-56.png

I ask my clients if I may use them as a reference and those who do I add to a growing list. I keep a few of these folded and clipped in my notebook, and use them as a means of mass "name dropping" ... here is a partial list of some of your neighbors and other folks in the area I am working with.

That goes a long way toward conquering the "who is this stranger and why is he in my neighborhood" for those few who think in such terms.

Also, I dress the same way everyday. I wear dress khaki's and a sky blue polo shirt. I will work a neighborhood for 5 to 10 days every day depending on the number of homes, etc. By day three or four, many of these folks have already seen me walking around, and they remember and recognize me because of my "uniform." When I knock, many answer because they are now curious as to who I am and why I have been in their neighborhood rather than fearful of who I am and what I might want to do to them lol. After all, if I were a threat surely I'd be in jail by now.

Last edited:
Yes find a connecting pt . My favorite is when they have a dog rushing to the door . “ I’ll say he’s not going to maul me is he in a funny way and they’ll laugh “. Breaks the ice . I did have a couple of people blow back on me “ I don’t want nobody coming to my house “ miss smith I tried to call you many times but now most phones have new technology to screen the calls . Takes about 5 mins to get you that info YOU requested . We can sit right there as I’m moving to the area to sit . Everybody’s looking for magical ways to say different things at the door .There’s no secret sauce . It’s the WAY you say it that causes the connection and laughter which allows them to let their guard down .

A door knocker will get much more rejection face to face than a person who only runs appts . That’s because we see a lot more total people door knocking than person who only runs appts . I always leave clients with this “ Miss smith remember the old days when somebody brought your milk to the door weekly ? How about the guy that pumped your gas ? Weren’t those days nice with personal service ? They all say YES . Well I’m the same way .

Last edited:
Yes find a connecting pt . My favorite is when they have a dog rushing to the door . “ I’ll say he’s not going to maul me is he in a funny way and they’ll laugh “. Breaks the ice . I did have a couple of people blow back on me “ I don’t want nobody coming to my house “ miss smith I tried to call you many times but now most phones have new technology to screen the calls . Takes about 5 mins to get you that info YOU requested . We can sit right there as I’m moving to the area to sit . Everybody’s looking for magical ways to say different things at the door .There’s no secret sauce . It’s the WAY you say it that causes the connection and laughter which allows them to let their guard down .

A door knocker will get much more rejection face to face than a person who only runs appts . That’s because we see a lot more total people door knocking than person who only runs appts . I always leave clients with this “ Miss smith remember the old days when somebody brought your milk to the door weekly ? How about the guy that pumped your gas ? Weren’t those days nice with personal service ? They all say YES . Well I’m the same way .
I usually say to the dog, "Don't bite me. I don't taste good at all" or if working with another agent, "Bite him, he taste's better".. Owner will smile and say, "Oh, he won't bite"... (of course they say that even if the mutt has your leg in his mouth up to your knee)

Back