This Guy Ain't Long for the Telemarketing World

My phone rang this morning.

Caller: "Hi this is James from Example Insurance and I'm calling today to discuss life insurance. Can I ask you how old you are?"

What an awful cold calling opening line:
  • Mentions insurance twice (once in the company name, which was something-something-insurance). Insurance isn't a dirty word but hardly something that makes people immediately want to talk to you.
  • Says he wants to "discuss" with me, which sounds like a long conversation.
  • Asks me how old I am, which isn't much of a rapport-builder. Call a bunch of middle-aged women and ask them how old they are as an opener and see how you do.
If you called 1,000 people and said you wanted to "discuss life insurance" with them, how many would be interested? Doesn't every single marketing book say that you want to spark some interest, highlight a need, or otherwise turn on the caller? The idea of "discussing life insurance" on the phone with sounds insanely boring. Always be closing? James just wants to banter.

Anyway, the call continued:

Me: "Well James, I'm a life insurance agent myself. How's the grind going tod--"
<click>

Well, OK. I guess you could look at that the ultimate efficiency - no sale possible, move on to the next call with maximum speed - but I would have at least thank you before hanging up. I mean, he could have at least pitched me to join his downline!

My phone rang this morning.

Caller: "Hi this is James from Example Insurance and I'm calling today to discuss life insurance. Can I ask you how old you are?"

What an awful cold calling opening line:
  • Mentions insurance twice (once in the company name, which was something-something-insurance). Insurance isn't a dirty word but hardly something that makes people immediately want to talk to you.
  • Says he wants to "discuss" with me, which sounds like a long conversation.
  • Asks me how old I am, which isn't much of a rapport-builder. Call a bunch of middle-aged women and ask them how old they are as an opener and see how you do.
If you called 1,000 people and said you wanted to "discuss life insurance" with them, how many would be interested? Doesn't every single marketing book say that you want to spark some interest, highlight a need, or otherwise turn on the caller? The idea of "discussing life insurance" on the phone with sounds insanely boring. Always be closing? James just wants to banter.

Anyway, the call continued:

Me: "Well James, I'm a life insurance agent myself. How's the grind going tod--"
<click>

Well, OK. I guess you could look at that the ultimate efficiency - no sale possible, move on to the next call with maximum speed - but I would have at least thank you before hanging up. I mean, he could have at least pitched me to join his downline!

His upline appears not to know what to do...if they provided him any training.

We could use this thread for outbound tele-sales agents to share their greeting when Ms. Jones answers the phone. Could be rather informative to compare notes.

His upline appears not to know what to do...if they provided him any training.

We could use this thread for outbound tele-sales agents to share their greeting when Ms. Jones answers the phone. Could be rather informative to compare notes.
Sorry to be obtuse, but what do you mean by “outbound telesales”? I do a fair amount of telesales, but I only call people who have requested info or responded to advertising. So, I’m technically making outbound calls, but I’m not sure I would consider that as true outbound sales.

Sorry to be obtuse, but what do you mean by “outbound telesales”? I do a fair amount of telesales, but I only call people who have requested info or responded to advertising. So, I’m technically making outbound calls, but I’m not sure I would consider that as true outbound sales.

I'm talking about the agent having to call the lead. The lead is a person who responded to the FE advertisement for more info. You are making outbound calls as you described above. The opposite of an outbound call is an in inbound call...a live transfer.

I'm talking about the agent having to call the lead. The lead is a person who responded to the FE advertisement for more info. You are making outbound calls as you described above. The opposite of an outbound call is an in inbound call...a live transfer.
Cool. So you go first. What do you say when Mrs Jones answers the phone?

Cool. So you go first. What do you say when Mrs Jones answers the phone?

How do I know it's Ms. Jones (could be a different female) answering the phone? Even if I know the female answering the phone is named Ms. Jones what is the name on the lead card?

Suppose the name on the lead card is Ms. Jones but a male answers the phone? If that's the case a male agent would use different words than if it was a female agent making the call.

If the person on the lead card and the person answering the phone is named Ms. Jones I do not address her as Ms. Jones. I address her as Ms. Betty (or whatever her first name is).

Sounds kinda picky but it makes a lot of difference in today's world where every unrecognized phone # on the caller ID is almost always someone looking for $$$.

Fine points are the building blocks of the main points.

How do I know it's Ms. Jones (could be a different female) answering the phone? Even if I know the female answering the phone is named Ms. Jones what is the name on the lead card?

Suppose the name on the lead card is Ms. Jones but a male answers the phone? If that's the case a male agent would use different words than if it was a female agent making the call.

If the person on the lead card and the person answering the phone is named Ms. Jones I do not address her as Ms. Jones. I address her as Ms. Betty (or whatever her first name is).

Sounds kinda picky but it makes a lot of difference in today's world where every unrecognized phone # on the caller ID is almost always someone looking for $$$.

Fine points are the building blocks of the main points.
Good questions. So, how would you (as a male agent) handle those scenarios?

Back