This Guy Ain't Long for the Telemarketing World

Just saw your post. I
Sure, but it was your suggestion to begin with!:twitchy:

Didn't say I wouldn't respond, but was just making a point. I gotta get back to work right now. I don't want to hang around up here all day. I'll respond this evening or tomorrow. In the meantime, just so this isn't one sided, post your answers to the different scenarios. I'll be glad to give you feed back on your answers if you like. Let me know. And the other tele-sales gurus should participate. We can all learn from each other, right?

You suggested it so I would think you would lead the way..

I made a suggestion for us all to share, not for me to be the teacher. I could have just said "ask your upline"...lol. That seems to be what some agents say up here....when they don't know how to answer the questions posted by other agents intelligently...lol. Shonceman asked me to lead the way, see post #5 and #9. I said I would post up here tonight or tomorrow as I had a busy afternoon and couldn't hang around up here. I suggested other well known tele-sales outfits could share in the mean time. Looks like none of them saw this thread this afternoon.

I did start off by making this comment in post #6.........
If the person on the lead card and the person answering the phone is named Ms. Jones I do not address her as Ms. Jones. I address her as Ms. Betty (or whatever her first name is).

Shonceman said he does quite a bit of tele-sales yet he must have not been up here either this afternoon as he's not shared his techniques.

When I get some time I'll post my suggestions. Right now I have a few new agents to speak with, and dinner, and wife time.

Last edited:
My phone rang this morning.

Caller: "Hi this is James from Example Insurance and I'm calling today to discuss life insurance. Can I ask you how old you are?"

What an awful cold calling opening line:
  • Mentions insurance twice (once in the company name, which was something-something-insurance). Insurance isn't a dirty word but hardly something that makes people immediately want to talk to you.
  • Says he wants to "discuss" with me, which sounds like a long conversation.
  • Asks me how old I am, which isn't much of a rapport-builder. Call a bunch of middle-aged women and ask them how old they are as an opener and see how you do.
If you called 1,000 people and said you wanted to "discuss life insurance" with them, how many would be interested? Doesn't every single marketing book say that you want to spark some interest, highlight a need, or otherwise turn on the caller? The idea of "discussing life insurance" on the phone with sounds insanely boring. Always be closing? James just wants to banter.

Anyway, the call continued:

Me: "Well James, I'm a life insurance agent myself. How's the grind going tod--"
<click>

Well, OK. I guess you could look at that the ultimate efficiency - no sale possible, move on to the next call with maximum speed - but I would have at least thank you before hanging up. I mean, he could have at least pitched me to join his downline!

Good post. Many are clueless.

Kinda explains why so many of us face to face independent agents replace graded telesales policy that are insanely overpriced when the insured qualifies easily for 1st day preferred coverage with many companies in our tool bag.

Shonceman said he does quite a bit of tele-sales yet he must have not been up here either this afternoon as he's not shared his techniques.
You’re right, I haven’t really been on the forums much today. I’m mainly F2F in the field, and still run a sizable debit agency. Got in kind of late tonight.

I think I said I do a “fair amount” of telesales, which is more than a couple calls here and there, but not any where near “quite a bit”. I’m far from an expert at it. My technique is probably wrong on several points! But I’ll take a nibble on the bait, anyway.

Most of the leads I work by phone these days are home office referrals. (I get several of these each month across a handful of states where I’m licensed) They’ve either mailed back a lead card from a billing insert or called in to get info. These folks fall into 3 main categories:
1) Existing clients (usually orphan policyholders) interested in increasing coverage.
2) Family or friend referrals from existing clients
3) People who are shopping for a quote and call the home office out of the blue, or go to the website and fill out a request for info.

Let’s use #1 as an example. Ms. Betty Jones, an orphan policyholder, filled out the billing insert and mailed it back. Now, since she already has insurance with the company, I absolutely do want to indentify myself immediately as representing that company. So, when somebody answers, the conversation starts something like this:
“Hi, this is Shonce Man from Ajax Life Insurance Company. I was calling for Ms Betty Jones about the policy she has with us. She mailed back the little card that was in her billing notice about reviewing her coverage.”
I say that first bit without any pauses up until this point. This is the first break where I’ll allow them to interrupt. Usually, they say, “that’s me” or “I’ll go get her”
The conversation either proceeds from there, or I set up a better call back time.

I realize that was a fairly lightweight example. Somebody wanting a quote from a company they called out of the blue is going to be tougher.

In reality, what I do on the phone isn’t much different than when I used to doorknock from DM lead cards. I was never trained to be a telesales agent. I mainly just adapted my field techniques to the phone. What I said at the door back then was a lot like what I say on the phone now. The main difference is you have to be careful to speak at a cadence that’s not too fast to be understood, yet doesn’t leave any space for interruption until you’re ready for them to speak.

I’ll add one point about attitude, whether at the door or on the phone: Newer agents can sometimes be timid, especially on the phone, believing that their call is unwelcome. But I’ve learned to go in with the assumption that I’m not an intruder. They asked for the contact! They WANT to hear what I have to say! That assumption affects my tone and “presence”, which helps break through any initial resistance.

Last edited:
Back