Trump ends CSR subsidies

This article states the increase in individual subsidies will be disproportionately larger than the CSRs that are being taken away. Resulting in a net decrease in cost for those qualifying for subsidies. Even creating a new segment of people who qualify for free bronze plans.

Im not sure how accurate the math is. It seems to vary by state they claim.

Trump's health subsidy shutdown could lead to free insurance

This article states the increase in individual subsidies will be disproportionately larger than the CSRs that are being taken away. Resulting in a net decrease in cost for those qualifying for subsidies. Even creating a new segment of people who qualify for free bronze plans.

Im not sure how accurate the math is. It seems to vary by state they claim.

Trump's health subsidy shutdown could lead to free insurance
It is true.

I'll corroborate, I'm seeing the same thing.

At least one carrier here has confirmed their on-ex silver plan costs more than their gold plan, and clearly indicated that the subsidy is increasing enough that free bronze will be an option for many.

Keep in mind, NY is one of the states that had an extra CSR-removal adjustment applied to the rates. AFAIK, we'll see the numbers on November 1. In states that don't have an adjustment for the loss of CSR, expect to see carriers pull product or eat losses.

I am 100% sure that CSR level people will have access to $0 premium bronze plans. I'm 99% sure that CSR to 250% will be at $0 or close to it on bronze. That's with or without CSR funding. Its going to be the big issue next year for the providers. People at very low incomes and a $7350 deductible because it was "free" and no way to pay it.

Insurance companies are happy. They just saved the $3K from the CSR plan deductible they were subsidizing. Or $7350. Either way, they come out ahead.

Medical Bankrupticies skyrocket.

So yeah. Lots more fun in 2018! :)

Schumer claims they have 60 votes for the bi-partisan agreement to "help fix" ACA. It includes CSR funding that Trump just took away.

I'll corroborate, I'm seeing the same thing.

At least one carrier here has confirmed their on-ex silver plan costs more than their gold plan, and clearly indicated that the subsidy is increasing enough that free bronze will be an option for many.

Keep in mind, NY is one of the states that had an extra CSR-removal adjustment applied to the rates. AFAIK, we'll see the numbers on November 1. In states that don't have an adjustment for the loss of CSR, expect to see carriers pull product or eat losses.

Some states allowed carriers to make last minute adjustments in their 2018 premiums, rather than lose them. It's incredible that ll of this is playing out less than 2 weeks before Open Enrollment begins.

Schumer claims they have 60 votes for the bi-partisan agreement to "help fix" ACA. It includes CSR funding that Trump just took away.
But Mitch McConnell said today that he won't enable a Senate vote unless Donald Trump says he'll sign the bill, if approved.

President Trump says that he wants the Individual and Employer mandates (I can't think of the legal name) removed from the ACA, before he will consider signing the Bi-Partisan compromise bill. Republicans really get the short-end of the stick with this one, as it now stands. (That's why Chuck Schumer was so elated when the compromise was announced last week.)

Allen,

Building on your point that Trump wants to repeal the mandates, remember the early orders instructing agencies to basically not bother enforcing?

IRS made it a point to state they're not following that guidance, and instead, they'll be enforcing the letter of the law. 2018 will be the first year they won't accept returns without the health insurance question answered. SRP's/PTC's/Clawbacks are in full effect from what I see. The Affordable Care Act Whats Trending | Internal Revenue Service

Yep. The IRS agreed to comply with the E.O. and then changed its mind. IRS swamp needs draining too, as YAgents said.

Yesterday, President Trump put this entire ObamaCare mess on the back burner. Told Republicans to get Tax Cuts / Tax Reform passed first. No more OCare discussions till then.

Back