What do you say...?

To all the old timers and new timers... "What do you say when you first introduce yourself to the prospect for the first time?" Not looking for the whole canned speech, but when meeting your prospect at the door for the first time (both cold knocking and knocking a lead be it DM or other) what are the first few sentences that you use? (Assuming no prior conversation.)

Think of this as a ride along and I will become your student. :GEEK:

One of my favorite posts on the topic comes from Mavrik... of course he was having fun, but you get the idea..

"Think like you are just trying to check their name off a list your boss sent you out to accomplish.

With a big friendly smile and immediate eye contact, " Mrs. Smith? Hi my name is Maverik with Senior Services. Reason I stopped bye is this card you filled out requesting information. I'm here to make sure you get that information... After that, whatever you decide to do with it is entirely up to you..."

Then in confident manner say,"May I step in..." This is not really a request because at the same time you should immediately bow your head, scrape the soles of your feet no matter how clean they are and gently start walking past her.

Don't look back to see if she's following you. Just pick a spot to set up shop and motion her to sit next to you."

I always go for the appointment NOW while I'm there and they're interested. I don't get these guys that try to set an appointment for later. If there's a reasonn why they can't talk now, I'll set an appointment for later.

Don't forget to smile. :)
Like I said above, (*), I'm a Home Service agent, as well as FE. Home Service is still FE, but with a slightly different client culture. I need to protect my persistency. Cold knocked Home Service prospects can be persistency problems, so we take them along a step at a time to be sure of their commitment. Also, I may have time to knock on a door, but not always time to present it right then. To be sure, if I detect they're ready right now, I'm getting in the door to write! But I never pressure them in any way. No feet shuffling, no leaning in, none of that.

I don't like to say "you filled this out". How many times does that get followed up with "I DIDN'T FILL THAT OUT!" and next thing you know you are halfway arguing over who sent the card in which is irrelevant to me at the door, I just want to get in.

New agents definitely need to take "YOU" out of their vocab.
We all get the same type of knee-jerk reaction sometimes no matter how you word it. The fact of the matter is whatever their objection is to not let you in it doesn't matter. They're sick, it's too early, it's too late, they didn't fill it out, they already have coverage or whatever. The truth is they lack one of three things.
1. Trust
2. Value
3. Urgency

Their objection is just an extra opportunity for us to provide what they're lacking so we can get in the door. :)

Here is why I asked the question...

I have read many post and threads regarding knocking, dm, telesales, web leads, face book leads, ect. I realized though that you still have to cross the 4 inch barrier at the door (if that's how you sell). So, no matter how you get there, once you are at the door, you still need to get in and sit down. You can carry 50 different companies and have a Doctors degree in product knowledge and market trends, but if you can get 4 more inches... it doesn't matter a hoot!

And that's just the way it is.

Now let me put my big boy pants on...

I am going to share my getting the door and let you all critique me on it. As a matter of fact, I would appreciate your feed back, but please be gentle... (I bruise easily. :no:)

Hello Mildred! (Relaxed with a nice smile) My name is ------- I am with ------ and a member of the ---------. Just wanted to stop by and deliver the information you requested. (As I am showing her the card.) (Moving back from the door I say) Just need to catch you for few seconds. Do you have a spot we can sit down. ( I look down, wipe my feet, motion with my hand to the door and move forward. Most of the time right on in, but if they don't move I don't push.)

A few a sides, Insurance is a dirty 9 letter word. I try to never, never use it. Even with current clients. And I agree, though I think I need to work on it my self, never to say "the card you sent in."

What is a better way to address that?

Like I said above, (*), I'm a Home Service agent, as well as FE. Home Service is still FE, but with a slightly different client culture. I need to protect my persistency. Cold knocked Home Service prospects can be persistency problems, so we take them along a step at a time to be sure of their commitment. Also, I may have time to knock on a door, but not always time to present it right then. To be sure, if I detect they're ready right now, I'm getting in the door to write! But I never pressure them in any way. No feet shuffling, no leaning in, none of that.
The debit route is a different model and I have no experience with it, other than running into it occasionally. I remember Prudential and Metropolitan had debit routes.

I wasn't referring to you. There have been a few on here recently that say they cold door knock for appointments.

I remember 20 knocks/5 presentations/1 sale.

We used 10-3-1. I was surprised when the One Card System used the same. But Granum worked it over a 3 year period, 100 suspects 30 fact finders (sit downs) yield 6 sales year one, 3 year two and 1 year three. This does not account for ancillary sales to new clients. They have been keeping track of those numbers longer than I've been breathing.

Wish I would have discovered this long ago.

Back