Windows 7 Released Today, What It Means For Insurance Agents

I just can't go with a Mac. Not a day goes by that I don't talk to any agent who can't do a certain task because they have a Mac.

My sister-in-law just bought a Mac about a month ago and already regrets it.

I just can't go with a Mac. Not a day goes by that I don't talk to any agent who can't do a certain task because they have a Mac.

My sister-in-law just bought a Mac about a month ago and already regrets it.

No kidding, you're also talking about paying a silly sum for their design. It's an intel chip like everyone else now, it's pretty, and osx is "cool"... But, business and value proposition come first.

Not knocking Mac, I'd rather spend the extra money on my biz than paying for my pc's design.

There haven't really been any significant breakthroughs in computer technology for some time.

Bluetooth is (IMO) dead and overrated for home computer use. USB has been the same for about 8+ years. Home wireless internet service and infrastructure has helped, but didn't require a whole new PC.

Many services being used are done online, so you just need a good browser and a good amount of RAM. XP does this just fine.

The only reason I bought my laptop with Vista a couple of years ago was for the upgrades and support over XP. My laptop ran XP for some time until I decided to reinstall Vista.

Laptops are becoming the mainstay of business and they're getting easier to maintain and upgrade. I've got a Dell Latitude D520 laptop with 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive (wish it was bigger) and a 15" screen. I have it linked to a docking station with printer, 22" monitor, keyboard, mouse, scanner, external hard drive, etc.

Basically, I see very little need to change & "upgrade" my OS until I need/want a new computer. And I'll be upgrading my hard drive &/or RAM before I do that.

I just don't see enough reason to upgrade? Besides the little doo-dads, name something I can do in Windows 7 that can't be done in XP or Vista? I'll be keeping my $200 until I feel that I need a new machine.

No kidding, you're also talking about paying a silly sum for their design. It's an intel chip like everyone else now, it's pretty, and osx is "cool"... But, business and value proposition come first.

Not knocking Mac, I'd rather spend the extra money on my biz than paying for my pc's design.

Obviously you sound like the kind of guy who given the option will wear a K-Mart suit vs. something from Nordstrom. And I suppose a man like you would rather have a Ford Focus over a BMW or Lexus. And my bet is guys with your philosophy buy term instead of WL.

That's all well and good. Whatever floats your boat. As a sort of computer "aficionado" I always try to buy value over price when it comes to hardware. In my experience, Apple stuff is better made than PC stuff, better designed than PC stuff, and has fewer problems than PC stuff. Of course there are going to be exceptions, but by and large that has been my own experience.

About 90% of the world uses PCs and Windows and 10% use Mac and OS X. So perhaps that means that Dells or HPs running Windows is "better" than a Mac with OS X. I don't know. I do know that since I moved to the Mac platform three years ago I've had trouble-free computing.

Of course, if you must run a lot of Windows proprietary software like Compulife or WinFlex or carrier specific systems, and you don't want to "virtualize" Windows on your Mac, then a PC makes sense.

Next week I'm getting a new Mac with 8 GB of RAM for about $1700. I suppose I could get a PC for about 2/3 of that... maybe half... but I like the quality and reliability of the Mac platform as well as how it syncs all of my hardware seamlessly. I find OS X to be better designed than Win7 (although I've not spent a lot of time with 7)

Like I say, if you're a K-Mart suit kind of guy, where price = value, then I'm sure you are making the right decision for you. I measure value in by other metrics. No wrong answer either way.

My best advice is that before you order a new Dell with Win7, go to BestBuy or an Apple store and just play with what is on display and decide what you like better. Some of you will like the Mac. Some won't. But at least give both a test drive before you spend the money. Can't hurt.

Al3
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

Back