You Won't Believe Obama's Response

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Let's pretend that raising the minimum wage won't cut more hours and jobs. Let's also pretend it has Obama's intended outcome of driving up the income of lower wage workers. Doesn't he know it will in turn reduce the wondrous subsidies he is handing out to everyone?

Doesn't he know it will in turn reduce the wondrous subsidies he is handing out to everyone?

You are asking if he comprehends the obvious.

You are a funny man.

Let's pretend that raising the minimum wage won't cut more hours and jobs. Let's also pretend it has Obama's intended outcome of driving up the income of lower wage workers. Doesn't he know it will in turn reduce the wondrous subsidies he is handing out to everyone?

I think if he could choose between having fewer people below the FPL and handing out more govt money, he'd pick the first one.

Last edited:
I think if he could choose between having less people below the FPL and handing out more govt money, he'd pick the first one.

That goes counter to what his policies have done so far. Record number of people on welfare programs; employment participation at lowest level in decades; now millions of new Medicaid enrollments; I don't see how anyone can argue that his position is to do either of the things you state. His goals (judged solely on his actions) have driven more people to poverty and handed out more tax dollars.

This is funny, I actually watched the whole thing Friday. When he said that to that guy (fry cook) it didn't even phase me. I guess I've just come to expect it from him. He has said so many things that anyone and I do mean anyone that has taken an introductory college course in Economics would never say.

I have said it all along, this is why he wont release his college transcripts, either he failed the Econ 101 course or he never took one. Serious.

That goes counter to what his policies have done so far. Record number of people on welfare programs; employment participation at lowest level in decades; now millions of new Medicaid enrollments; I don't see how anyone can argue that his position is to do either of the things you state. His goals (judged solely on his actions) have driven more people to poverty and handed out more tax dollars.

While all of your examples are factual, I feel the largest contributing factor to them is not President Obama's policies, but the number of boomers who are becoming disabled or retiring.
For instance, about employment participation.

Now, I admit some of his attempts to help have not worked well in the short term, but I don't believe it is his goal.

While all of your examples are factual, I feel the largest contributing factor to them is not President Obama's policies, but the number of boomers who are becoming disabled or retiring.
For instance, about employment participation.

Now, I admit some of his attempts to help have not worked well in the short term, but I don't believe it is his goal.

Here is an interesting piece on the topic of increasing the minimum wage.

This article points out that though the retiring Baby Boomers is a factor in the participation rate, it is only one factor and accounts for only about half of the decline since 2007 and only about a third that have left will come back. Another factor, interestingly is Obamacare. Why work more hours and earn more money if I will then lose my government money? This law is essentially an incentive not to be productive just like many of the other 'social safety nets'.

Here is an interesting piece on the topic of increasing the minimum wage.

This article points out that though the retiring Baby Boomers is a factor in the participation rate, it is only one factor and accounts for only about half of the decline since 2007 and only about a third that have left will come back. Another factor, interestingly is Obamacare. Why work more hours and earn more money if I will then lose my government money? This law is essentially an incentive not to be productive just like many of the other 'social safety nets'.

I completely agree that the minimum wage is a touchy subject and $10.10 is pushing it too far, but I do feel a livable wage increase is a valid option.

Only 1/3 of the 3% decline since 2007 will come back with the economy, but that includes the 50% of baby boomers in that figure. A more accurate statistic would be that 2/3 of the decline that was not due to age or disability will return to the workforce (many with advanced degrees that will help the economy even more). My wife, for instance was laid off, went back and earned her MSW, and is much further along than she was 6 years ago.

As for Obamacare making people not want to work more, I feel that is a fallacy. At this point, I don't have the time to make my argument concisely, but I would be happy to discuss it with you at a later time.

Back