Your Philosophy...

Great thread.
It's funny when you look back and compare how you sold when you started compared to now. For me as mentioned by a few I listen more now then ever before.
Sure learning over time how to ask questions that provoke answers other then yes or no helps but also knowing the appointment is about the client and not how much data/knowledge I could drop on them.

I used to always see myself as taking a "consultative" approach. Now I see it more as an "educational" approach. People are looking for a solution to a problem... I educate on the most comprehensive solution to the problem, and then the best products.

I believe that one of the best sales methods in this business is the "educational" approach. It creates a more open and relaxed interviewing process for both the client and the agent. :yes:

Our philosophy is what shapes how we see our selves... how we see our clients... how we see our job... it becomes by extension a large part of how we sell.

I think that it is important the we are always evaluating our philosophy... making changes as we learn... become better as we go...

Our philosophy is what shapes how we see our selves... how we see our clients... how we see our job... it becomes by extension a large part of how we sell.

I think that it is important the we are always evaluating our philosophy... making changes as we learn... become better as we go...
Yep, adaptation. If we don't change with the times, we'll get left behind.:yes:

Last edited:
I was working for a bank when I first started in sales. They taught the "educational" approach and that has stuck with me ever since. Their thinking was, if you educate someone on X then they will start thinking about Y and Z....and be more likely to come back to the bank. Sadly I saw that method go out the door and more emphasis was placed on "just getting them into a product, any product."

Years ago someone told me "God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you will do well".

If you "sell" by asking questions you will develop clients, not just customers. There is a difference.

When someone asks about a book on selling, I always send them here.
Amazon product ASIN B00G3E5SZE

Years ago someone told me "God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you will do well".

If you "sell" by asking questions you will develop clients, not just customers. There is a difference.

When someone asks about a book on selling, I always send them here.
Amazon product ASIN B00G3E5SZE
I bought this book a year ago after seeing you recommend it. Now I need to read it.:yes::yes:

Back