Discussion on Rebuttals to Door Knocking Objections

We all know how to combat the basic objections of I'm busy or I'm about to leave . With a married couple the one I run into the most is when the other spouse answers the door . Every time "what's this about ". I either tell them the truth "it's about a form Mary filled out asking for urgent information " or I say this is a "confidential matter I can only discuss with Mary since she filled it out " . Sometimes they insist on knowing what it's about are there not going to get her. Almost every time if you tell them what it's really about they come back and tell you she's not interested. So the discussion is how do other door knockers handle the above and other objections ?I'm always open to learning .

Looks like you are door knocking rather than setting appointments.

If the card was filled in by Betty Jones and a male answers the door I say "yes sir, I was hoping you could help me. I don't know if I'm at the right place, I was trying to catch up (don't say "find" that's what detectives and police say) with Betty Jones with that free information she had sent off for.

If the man turns around to go get her all is well.

If he says "I'm her husband what's this about"? I'll say "this was some free information about a plan that pays for funeral expenses so the family doesn't have to scrape the money up. I believe she wanted you to see this too." I'll then say my name is Greg and reach out and extend my hand hoping we can shake hands. Are you both available now?

If he says "we're not interested", I'll look at him and say "that's too bad, we're almost finished up in your area and I'm only in this area every 6-10 months. I cover all of NC. Anyway, it only takes a few moments and most people feel better once they look at it. May I come in please?

If he still doesn't cooperate I give a business card and I'll leave. BUT this lead is still in play because I've not yet talked to the person who sent it in....Betty. I'll call Betty a few weeks or months down the road when I'm in the area and at my convenience and try to set an appointment with her and her husband.

If Betty agrees to an appointment she can either persuade her husband to get plans or not. If Betty doesn't agree to an appointment into the trash she goes. I will not call her back nor stop by. I will have a higher probability of a sale talking to a fresh lead rather than a "call back".

Would like to hear suggestions from other Final Expense Aces on this subject.

So basically there's no new ideas how to by pass the gatekeeper at the door . Another cluster fu.Bottom line 30% or more times somebody other than the lead card person will answer the door . At least 1/2 the time they ask what is this in reference to. 95% of the time they come back and say she's not interested.

BibH, I got thrown to the wolves last time I talked about doing things the way you say you do them in regards to this objection at the door. So don't feel like you're the only one :D It might be an area specific thing. What works in rual Mississippi won't work the same way in Los Angeles.

I never tell anyone other than the person first listed on the card about what it's about because it never ends up in my favor. I just stick to my guns & tell them people get mad at me when I tell others what it's about! LOL

Last edited:
You got a crush on me? Isn't that what the teenagers say instead of obsessed?

Oh yeah, those wrinkles of yours...they just get me going!

----------

Since youre from ky, it's ok to have a crush on you and still call you grandpa right?

Oh yeah, those wrinkles of yours...they just get me going!

----------

Since youre from ky, it's ok to have a crush on you and still call you grandpa right?

I always know when I've won. The personal attacks come out. You did learn that from your boy.

How long are those puppet strings?

I always know when I've won. The personal attacks come out. You did learn that from your boy.

How long are those puppet strings?

Won what? Were we playing a game? Last time I thought we debated your Alzheimer's kicked in and didn't remember.

The key is to get good enough at scheduling appointments so your gatekeeping skills aren't all that important. If I am spending a lot of time getting by gatekeepers I need to work on my phone skills, or buy more leads.

Much more efficient use of my time.

Back