Door Knocking Today.

My best years were during the Jimmy Carter days.. Once when agents were complaining about 12% local unemployment, a manager said, "What are you fellows complaining about? That means 88% of the people are working.. Go call on them and forget the 12% until they get back to work." The same applies today.. Even with the pandemic shut down there are far more people working than not. And if you are working the senior markets, those folks haven't missed a single check.
I agree with you for the most part. Especially 65+
But the under 75 market is tough right now. Yeah 10 percent unemployment, but what about a working spouse, who is no longer working. It is tough for us but tough for others too. Stay sge

I agree with you for the most part. Especially 65+
But the under 75 market is tough right now. Yeah 10 percent unemployment, but what about a working spouse, who is no longer working. It is tough for us but tough for others too. Stay sge
That spouse is included in the unemployment numbers.

Yeah, but that sales trainer wasn't dealing with a pandemic, real or imagined. Some things are out of your control.

I can appreciate that thought, I felt the same way in April. In sales there are always things outside of our control that can be discouraging, even frustrating:
  • Hidden decision maker
  • Weather
  • Prospects who lie
  • Do not call list
  • Rate increases/decreases
  • Health - ours and of our clients
  • Pandemic
  • Regulatory changes
  • etc etc etc.
So we work with what we can control. In this pandemic here is what I've done:
  • Called and spoke with every client in my book of business. Took a long time, but led to 17 DVH, 8 lUL, 2 annuity, 1 FE and 8 referrals
  • Get AHIP and carrier certifications done early
  • Prep early for AEP with letter to clients including SOA w return envelope
  • Researched how to do 100% phone sales, spoke with successful agents who are doing it, still trying to learn the "new normal"
  • Reorganized all my files. Scanned and shredded lots of stuff. To my embarrassment found notes on referrals I never followed up on.
  • Reorganized my office and equipment including video. Office feels fresher and newer. (I work from a home office)
  • Called real old lead cards (probably non-compliant), had nice conversations about how they're doing in these tough times. Opened a few new cases for AEP.
  • Increased my physical activity to improve my health and attitude by riding the bike trails again every other day.
My goals is that when the pandemic ends I come out of it stronger, more prepared, and at full-speed.

Yeah, but that sales trainer wasn't dealing with a pandemic, real or imagined. Some things are out of your control.
Todd, we have dealt with several pandemics since I entered the business, wars (including Vietnam), inflation, stagflation, recession, etc. There is nothing new under the sun. The pandemic can't be affecting everyone negatively as some companies and agencies are reporting record sales.

Todd, we have dealt with several pandemics since I entered the business, wars (including Vietnam), inflation, stagflation, recession, etc. There is nothing new under the sun. The pandemic can't be affecting everyone negatively as some companies and agencies are reporting record sales.

You're right! Losers are the negative, can't do it type. Winners are the positive type and look for ways to do it. Here's how Covid is helping our industry......

_Lots of agents, agencies, and at least one carrier, Sr Life, are having record months in production.
_I've also noticed my persistency seems to be the best it's ever been since 1999! Covid is helping agents and carriers to make more profit.
_Lots of agents are finally learning and enjoying the fruits of FE telesales.
_Our clients don't worry about job losses or having their working hours cut....they're already laid off and getting a steady reliable check from Uncle Sam each month.
_The news has a whole lot of our clients thinking about their own mortality as they hear every day how seniors and people with health conditions are the most vulnerable. This is causing closing %'s to increase for FE agents.

The glass is always half full, full, or the glass is too big. But it's never half empty...lol.

I can appreciate that thought, I felt the same way in April. In sales there are always things outside of our control that can be discouraging, even frustrating:
  • Hidden decision maker
  • Weather
  • Prospects who lie
  • Do not call list
  • Rate increases/decreases
  • Health - ours and of our clients
  • Pandemic
  • Regulatory changes
  • etc etc etc.
So we work with what we can control. In this pandemic here is what I've done:
  • Called and spoke with every client in my book of business. Took a long time, but led to 17 DVH, 8 lUL, 2 annuity, 1 FE and 8 referrals
  • Get AHIP and carrier certifications done early
  • Prep early for AEP with letter to clients including SOA w return envelope
  • Researched how to do 100% phone sales, spoke with successful agents who are doing it, still trying to learn the "new normal"
  • Reorganized all my files. Scanned and shredded lots of stuff. To my embarrassment found notes on referrals I never followed up on.
  • Reorganized my office and equipment including video. Office feels fresher and newer. (I work from a home office)
  • Called real old lead cards (probably non-compliant), had nice conversations about how they're doing in these tough times. Opened a few new cases for AEP.
  • Increased my physical activity to improve my health and attitude by riding the bike trails again every other day.
My goals is that when the pandemic ends I come out of it stronger, more prepared, and at full-speed.
That’s how winners think! When I was managing agents, often they’d start complaining and making excuses for why their production was down, or why it was going to be down. Now, keep in mind that I’m extremely easygoing and congenial, so I’d usually let them bitch a while, and maybe even commiserate with them a little. But then I’d always say something like, “Ok. Now we know all the reasons why it probably CAN’T be done. But we have to do it! So, let’s try to come up with some ideas for how it CAN be done.”

The pandemic and (since I work inner city) the protests have affected me negatively, as far as having to change some things about how I operate and conduct myself. But my numbers are all up across the board.
You're right! Losers are the negative, can't do it type. Winners are the positive type and look for ways to do it. Here's how Covid is helping our industry......

_Lots of agents, agencies, and at least one carrier, Sr Life, are having record months in production.
_I've also noticed my persistency seems to be the best it's ever been since 1999! Covid is helping agents and carriers to make more profit.
_Lots of agents are finally learning and enjoying the fruits of FE telesales.
_Our clients don't worry about job losses or having their working hours cut....they're already laid off and getting a steady reliable check from Uncle Sam each month.
_The news has a whole lot of our clients thinking about their own mortality as they hear every day how seniors and people with health conditions are the most vulnerable. This is causing closing %'s to increase for FE agents.

The glass is always half full, full, or the glass is too big. But it's never half empty...lol.
Yeah, I’m on pace to match my best year in the business, even though I’m actually working less. And nearly all my sales for the past four months have been people contacting either me or the company for coverage. Most are referrals, or existing clients wanting to increase. I haven’t had to go looking for business at all since this thing started.

Back