Humana Agent Service

We're direct.

Can you explain what you mean by "paying full on renewals"?

For example, business written for plan year 2014 was paid at $204 for the year, which equals $17.00 per month. This year, we are still getting paid $17.00 per month on those cases, which is $2.00 per month below 2019 fair market value of $20 per month. We're getting paid about 17.5% less per case than current fair market value.

For business we wrote with Aetna in plan year 2014, we were also paid $204 or $17.00 per month on renewals. This year, for those cases still on the books, we are paid $20.00 per month by Aetna, which equals current fair market value.

Your statement infers that you would be paid $20.00 per month in 2019 for business written in 2014 by both Humana and Aetna. Is that correct?

So they're paying 2014 renewal rates in 2019.

Have you spoken to other people who have Humana MAPD renewals? They're in the same situation?

Yes. That's what they do nationwide. With no apologies. So does UHC. This is why I am highly suspect of what Chazm has stated.

Many agents are actually not aware that they are entitled to be paid "UP TO CURRENT" fair market value every year. Most companies do just that, but not Humana and not UHC.

You have to wonder why? It's all about greed.

The funny thing is that technically, MAPD plans have NO renewals. The contract runs through year end, that's it. As of January, it's a NEW plan; it is not renewing the old plan. On that basis alone, Humana and UHC are totally out of line.

Yes. That's what they do nationwide. With no apologies. So does UHC. This is why I am highly suspect of what Chazm has stated.

Many agents are actually not aware that they are entitled to be paid "UP TO CURRENT" fair market value every year. Most companies do just that, but not Humana and not UHC.

The funny thing is that technically, MAPD plans have NO renewals. The contract runs through year end, that's it. As of January, it's a NEW plan; it is not renewing the old plan. On that basis alone, Humana and UHC are totally out of line.

I’m not sure how it’s greed. I only know of Wellcare as the only company that pays me the new renewal rate on old biz written.

What I was stating before is that Humana pays full renewals on your written biz for that year. I’m not sure how they owe me or I should feel I won’t write them because of the way they pay.

That's news to me.

So, Humana and UHC pay renewal rates for the year the plan was written even in later years? That makes no sense.

If MAPD rates rise, commissions should rise too. In most states, the 2019 renewal rate is $241 ($482 new), but the 2020 renewal rate is $255 ($510 new).

If you write a plan in 2019, you get $482 (most states). In 2020 you should get a renewal of $255 over 12 months starting in January if the person didn't change plans, not $241 over 12 months.

Like you said, it's basically a new plan every year.

I'm going to ask my local rep from both Humana and UHC about this.

Have you talked to your local rep?

I’m not sure how it’s greed. I only know of Wellcare as the only company that pays me the new renewal rate on old biz written.

What I was stating before is that Humana pays full renewals on your written biz for that year. I’m not sure how they owe me or I should feel I won’t write them because of the way they pay.

So, you're confirming what she's saying?

Your UHC and Humana MAPD biz pays at the renewal rate of the year it was written instead of the updated renewal rate every year? Only Wellcare pays the updated renewal rate?

We have spoken direct to our senior vp for the area. Everyone to a person at Humana claims not to know anything about it. They want to see commission statements from other companies. So we provide those, from Aetna, Blue Cross and others.

Nothing. No response. They don't care. So long as agents are oblivious to how they are getting screwed, why should they care? People in this thread don't even realize it.

Chazm thinks everything is hunky dory. He even states Humana pays full renewals, after acknowledging that they're only paying "full" renewals based on the commissions in effect the year the plan was written.

I don't know what kind of business Chazm writes to where it doesn't seem like he's losing anything, but in my case it now accounts for a loss of around $5,000 a year, which in four years is $20,000. Multiply that times thousands of agents and you have to recognize the company's greed motives and anti-agent concerns. THEY. DON'T. CARE.

That's not paying full renewals. Full renewals are defined as being equal to current FMV (fair market value) which is determined by CMS. The government is actually giving permission to pay more each year and Humana doesn't care. Same for UHC.

As agents learn the truth and still don't complain, the company has no incentive to change.

Ok to ask your uplines and reps but don't take their word. They won't know. Check the commission statements! Numbers don't lie.

Last edited:
We have spoken direct to our senior vp for the area. Everyone to a person at Humana claims not to know anything about it. They want to see commission statements from other companies. So we provide those, from Humana, Blue Cross and others.

Nothing. No response. They don't care. So long as agents are oblivious to how they are getting screwed, why should they care? People in this thread don't even realize it.

Chazm thinks everything is hunky dory. He even states Humana pays full renewals, after acknowledging that they're only paying "full" renewals based on the commissions in effect the year the plan was written.

I don't know what kind of business Chazm writes to where it doesn't seem like he's losing anything, but in my case it now accounts for a loss of around $5,000 a year, which in four years is $20,000. Multiply that times thousands of agents and you have to recognize the company's greed motives and anti-agent concerns. THEY. DON'T. CARE.

That's not paying full renewals. Full renewals are defined as being equal to current FMV (fair market value) which is determined by CMS. The government is actually giving permission to pay more each year and Humana doesn't care. Same for UHC.

As agents learn the truth and still don't complain, the company has no incentive to change.

Ok to ask your uplines and reps but don't take their word. They won't know. Check the commission statements! Numbers don't lie.

So what's the solution?

I'm just as concerned as you are as I did not know this. I have to talk to my reps about it.
---------
It would be difficult to rewrite people into new similar MAPD plans every few years if they like their current plan.
---------
Granted, I haven't read the contract from Humana or UHC word-for-word. However, if the contract states the renewals are based on the writing year, not the current year, then that's it.

Maybe the carriers have different wording in their contracts for this?
---------
Todd Kind, Craig Ritter, etc. would have to answer this question. They each have an FMO and could probably give the clearest answer.

We have spoken direct to our senior vp for the area. Everyone to a person at Humana claims not to know anything about it. They want to see commission statements from other companies. So we provide those, from Humana, Blue Cross and others.

Humana Does a lot of things I don't like, For instance, with the esign they have a tech support number, When a client calls they enroll as house account, That kills me

However, When Prospect says Mary down the block has humana and says its the best I want what mary has, And does not hear anything if it is not Humana

What are you going to do, Humana's commission and AOR issues from time to time or No commission

It's different with other companies, You can get the prospect to listen to other plans, But when someone is dead set on Humana what are you going to do

They see the constant commercials, Thier friends have it, They become deer in the headlights

It is what it is

You guys are confused. You realize that the new to Medicare and renewal rates are MAXIMUMS. It’s not the rate they must pay.

Humana used to pay $350 for new to Medicare when everyone else paid $4xx. If you don’t like the contract you signed with a company, don’t write them.

Back