Leaving Messages

Not being one who cold calls, I have a question here:

With the great majority of people being on do-not-call lists, how does anyone make cold calls at all? Do you go through a service that has screened do-not-call lists?

Warm calls I can understand since the person has in some manner initiated or invited contact.

Businesses cannot list their numbers on the DNC. I focus most of my cold-calling to small business owners.

You can also buy scrubbed residential lists if you would like to bother people at dinner time...

I've recently started leaving messages, however, I never did in the past. The only reason I am doing so now is because of the dialer system I use, it doesn't cost me any extra time to leave a pre-recorded message. It's too early to tell, but I am getting call backs. One this morning for a five person group plan.

The law of large numbers will eventually give me an idea on the percentage of call backs, but my guess would be that it tracks similar to direct mail response in the 1% to 4% area (anyone track this before?). I'll have to report back when I eventually leave a thousand messages. My message is fairly simple and non-threatening:

"Hi, this is Delta calling. I'm not sure if we should be talking or not, I'm a local health insurance agent that works with all the carriers in the area and I've been talking to a lot of business owners lately that are concerned about their premiums. If that's a concern for you, I would like a chance to chat. You can reach me at (123) 456-7890."

It looks good but there is no value statement?? You never once tell them how you can help them. When someone hears a pitch, they are thinking, "What's in it for me?"

If you're going to leave a message (and I agree that you should if you're using a dialer that gives you this option) then you should revamp this.

Value statement ideas:

I have helped many business owners your size save 30% or more on their insurance premiums..

After talking with many buiness owners, I've been able to save them on their premiums and increase their coverage benefits...

Etc...

Use your own words but add a benefit statement... A reason for them to call you back.

I would also add that you have GREAT NEWS...

Im calling you with GREAT NEWS, Ive been able to help small business owners save 30% on their monthly health plan premium...

I've recently started leaving messages, however, I never did in the past. The only reason I am doing so now is because of the dialer system I use, it doesn't cost me any extra time to leave a pre-recorded message. It's too early to tell, but I am getting call backs. One this morning for a five person group plan.

The law of large numbers will eventually give me an idea on the percentage of call backs, but my guess would be that it tracks similar to direct mail response in the 1% to 4% area (anyone track this before?). I'll have to report back when I eventually leave a thousand messages. My message is fairly simple and non-threatening:

"Hi, this is Delta calling. I'm not sure if we should be talking or not, I'm a local health insurance agent that works with all the carriers in the area and I've been talking to a lot of business owners lately that are concerned about their premiums. If that's a concern for you, I would like a chance to chat. You can reach me at (123) 456-7890."

I think your approach is good and I would not try to jazz it up anymore but then again I live in northern New England where folks are sort of down to earth and reserved and like to have everything understated a little bit. Instead of "if that is a concern for you" I might say "if you want to learn which options are working well for many business owners, you can reach me at." That way you are offering information not just a pitch and also playing on their fear/business instincts that they want to at least know what others are doing. Like advertising or direct mail, I would not tinker with anything that gets a reasonable response so I would be okay just doing what you are doing too. About any response is a plus with callbacks, I think.

Winter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I run my business on the philosophy of under promise and over deliver. The message was intentionally laid back, however, I see the point each of you made in giving the owner an incentive to call back. I'm going to change the message slightly to:

"If thats a concern for you and you would like to hear about what some other local businesses are doing to curb their costs, I would like to have to have a chance to chat with you. Call me at ______"

The guy who wrote the "Selling to VITO" books has the greatest message I've ever heard.... I've used it a couple of times and it actually worked (once).

After leaving 5-8 messages you simply say>....... "Mr Prospect, every night before I go to bed I talk to God.... I wondering why I can't TALK to you?"

Back