Looking for a telemarketer - I'm offering $2,000 a week

Well... I telemarketed for myself today for about 2.5 hours..

7 leads.. Not too bad! I don't feel quite so lazy!

The more you do it the better you will feel. Now, you are "selling insurance". I guess you could call it "the old fashion way". :biggrin:

It is the thing that has consistently given me the best results and the highest closing ratio.

Welcome to my world!

I stole John's script... that's the same one he posted earlier in the thread.. I would have had more leads myself, but I got to talking to a guy and we talked about 30 minutes. (An old family friend)

The things that's amazing is I tracked the amount of people I actually talked to and it was only 22.. 7 leads out of 22 people is not too damn bad. That is a lead for every 3 people I talked to. John's script works like a charm! Did you come up with it yourself John?

Yes, but over time. I got a little turned off initially years ago by telemarketing because I was just talking about my agency and services.

That's when I came to realize that no one give a rat's ass about my agency or services. They care about name brand carriers saving them loads of money.

The more you do it the better you will feel. Now, you are "selling insurance". I guess you could call it "the old fashion way". :biggrin:

It is the thing that has consistently given me the best results and the highest closing ratio.

Welcome to my world!

It's about more than that, especially if you're new. It's about being actively engaged in talking to people about insurance all day which really keeps your attitude up. Anyone is proud of themselves when they've generated leads all day. You don't get any proud feeling or any sense of accomplishment after calling 6 internet leads. You do get one thing - frustration while you try to figure out how someone who just requested a lead isn't answering their damned phone. And call those 6 shared leads anyway - what are you doing with the other 7 1/2 hours that day?

Hey John why is someone on a group plan an automatic "good bye"? I have come across several that switching from group to individual is cheaper and better coverage as long as all parties qualify.

Kyle: Actually I ask if they have any employees on the plan. If yes it's good bye. My personal experience has shown a horrible closing ratio with people who have group in place and employees on the plan. If the group policy is just for the family then we're still on.

That being said, these are just generalizations. I got a fantastic lead today from a lady who's paying $2,600 a MONTH from just her family and 1 employee on group and she's freaking. Not only that but it's Optimum Choice HMO and her doctor is no longer in network. She wants to just put money into her employee's check for her individual plan - which to me is against the rules just like jaywalking. More power to her. That'll be a deal but I couldn't pry her off the phone.

Jroot: I personally use Goleads which is all small business owners - 1 to 9 employees. It's not like to don't sign up some non-owners but my client base when telemarketing is 90% owners, 10% non-owners. Internet leads are the reverse. Also, most of my clients have current plans. It's much easier to close people who current have coverage. I have almost zero interest when I talk to people with no current coverage. They are the worst prospects.

Last edited:
Thanks CT... no disrespect intended with the "bait" line. To get someone to call back from a voice mail or AM, you have to think out of the box. I also would call you back... thanks.

Al D.

Oh yeah, no problem...just didn't want you to think I was fishing for someone to eventually say "Hey, that's so cool. You're awesome!" I like my general approach but it's far from groundbreaking and sometimes doesn't work. Example:

I called a guy about three years ago and left a similar message. I get a phone call back LATE on a Sunday night ( I am assuming because he assumed I would not be there to pick up phone. He assumed wrong and I immediately called him back...reply to follow). He says: "Yes, this is Robert _________ and I wanted to inform you that I will NOT be going with your Insurance company. I don't appreciate witty messages tying up my answering machine about topics as important as healthcare. What I am hoping to do is get quotes from several reputable, professional Insurance Agents and not a Monkey routine(?) from some little kid(I was mid 30's) playing games. Please take me off your list and DON'T call me again or I'll be forced to call the FCC and report you for unsavory business practices(yeah and why don't you throw in that Howard Stern has lesbians guessing what's in their p**** this week as well). Good day."

I saved this message for almost a year it was such a classic. My reply was immediate after message ended and went right to his voicemail as he didn't pick up. It went essentially: "Uhh, hi Robert, buddy, sweetheart. I realize you probably called late on a Sunday because you thought I wouldn't be in but my office is actually in my house so Sunday nights I usually like to practice my 'Monkey Routine' and grease up my propeller hat. I'm glad you called though, I have learned a great lesson and that is that some people unfortunately have such tight undewear that it makes them insane and I should realize that before leaving goofy messages. I apologize wholeheartedly and if I, or my monkey, can do anything for you in the future please call me at 1-900-GETALIFE. It's been a pleasure Bobby. Nite Nite."

I realize it was a little dicey, coulda been a serial killer I suppose. Never heard back though and no letter from the DOI so I guess I'm safe...I hate to admit it but I do love those kinda customers!

CT Insure Guy,

Those are priceless. I have some interesting stories but none like the ones you posted.

I posted this several months ago. Since you do your own telemarketing you may really appreciate it.

warning. dongs.

Oops, I posted the link but that is what came up. Let me see if I can find out what happened.

I just tried it and it took me to the site I originally posted the link to.

Last edited:
CT Insure Guy,

Those are priceless. I have some interesting stories but none like the ones you posted.

I posted this several months ago. Since you do your own telemarketing you may really appreciate it.

warning. dongs.

Oops, I posted the link but that is what came up. Let me see if I can find out what happened.

I just tried it and it took me to the site I originally posted the link to.
That's funny stuff...I have heard similar things form other comics, etc and sometimes I do nutty stuff when they call as well. Not as insane as "you just called a murder scene" though!

Kyle: Actually I ask if they have any employees on the plan. If yes it's good bye. My personal experience has shown a horrible closing ratio with people who have group in place and employees on the plan. If the group policy is just for the family then we're still on.

That being said, these are just generalizations. I got a fantastic lead today from a lady who's paying $2,600 a MONTH from just her family and 1 employee on group and she's freaking. Not only that but it's Optimum Choice HMO and her doctor is no longer in network. She wants to just put money into her employee's check for her individual plan - which to me is against the rules just like jaywalking. More power to her. That'll be a deal but I couldn't pry her off the phone.

Ok...that I agree with. Most of the small group leads I come across with more than 2 employees end up, well, ending.

It is nice to come across those leads where the timing is perfect...had one myself two weeks ago. 4 people paying $2000/month for group. I cut it in half for better coverage and $150 commish per month until they cancel. All from my $2000/week telemarketer.

Back