Marketing Plan to Sell 40 Med Supps a Month?

You're welcome. I really liked the out takes and bloopers at the end. Made you seem more "human". I like a sense of humor, and a lot of the people shopping for Med Supps do too.:yes:

Believe me there's no shortage of bloopers, getting those is the easy part. :laugh:

I run PDP reports on Medicare, go over them in detail with clients and show them how to save $$$ with discount coupons, mail order and using Canadian pharmacies.

I give them the option of enrolling direct with the carrier or via Mcare.gov

If they ask about dental I tell them the truth. Don't waste your money.

How do you handle these things?

I haven't. Yet. I want to sell med supps but will probably try to get back to FE first when I can afford DM leads. If I can work full time, or close to it, on my programming contract I should be able to start ordering them in 3 or 4 weeks. But I might shift to supps. I'm a member of Chris Westfall's Medicare Agent Training website. And supps don't seem terribly complicated. If I'm able to do both I may ONLY do both, but thought I might do PDPs since I'm actually AHIP certified because of the job I had in the fall enrolling people in Aetna's MAPDs and PDPs. No commission. I was just an employee in a call center taking inbound calls, but of course did the necessary certs and became familiar with the products. If it weren't for that I wouldn't want to mess with the CMS monitored stuff. And frankly it would be nice not to have to worry about it. But dental insurance just seems like a simple, logical add on if it didn't slow me down. But not a big deal.

I don't want things to be complicated. Many successful people on the forum keep emphasizing that specializing usually works better than being a jack of all trades.

My health insurance ended on 11/30 and I'm just doing without until 2/1, but was able to save money on Rxs using GoodRx. You probably recommend it?

I do recommend GoodRx and Blue Sky Drugs to offset some of the cost of med's. Discounts and BlueSky are not a substitute for a PDP. Rather, use them to possibly avoid the donut hole.

You mention you have lots of experience. When I'm just getting started, how would you try to get around lack of experience?

My first suggestion is to establish a highly successful attitude and mindset, removing any limiting beliefs including that you have a lack of experience. Convert all your spare time into "study time". It takes roughly 10,000 hours to become an expert and top producer in your field, so start putting those hours in.

Read as many posts and questions as you can on this forum, and study the Medicare guides and know them in and out. Start creating a cheat sheet and study that inside and out. Jot down what responses to objections and what closes work and keep fine tuning them.

Dedicate yourself to learning this and make it more important than anything else you do in your life at this point. In other words, you should be in "full throttle" mode. Put in half-assed effort and you deserve half-assed results. Don't expect otherwise. Nearly all of your solutions in business come down to the guy or gal staring back at you in the mirror.

You'll stumble a bit in the beginning (everyone does) but the more you begin teaching your prospects the better and more confident you'll become at it.

The major reason I see people fail in starting not just a Medigap business but others, is that they are unwilling to sacrifice their time indulging in short-term pleasures in exchange for long-term success.

Tell your friends you'll go drinking or golfing with them in about 18 months, you're doing something far more important. Forget balance temporarily. Successful people don't sit around all the time stating "Well you gotta have balance".

Successful people realize that you will have frequent moments of a completely unbalanced life, because you must if you want to be extraordinary. If you have a spouse and family it's easier if they realize this as well.

Then in a few years, you can be as balanced as you want to be, wherever you want to be, and whenever you want to be.

That's what I would do to get around a lack of experience. ;)

My first suggestion is to establish a highly successful attitude and mindset, removing any limiting beliefs including that you have a lack of experience. Convert all your spare time into "study time". It takes roughly 10,000 hours to become an expert and top producer in your field, so start putting those hours in.

Read as many posts and questions as you can on this forum, and study the Medicare guides and know them in and out. Start creating a cheat sheet and study that inside and out. Jot down what responses to objections and what closes work and keep fine tuning them.

Dedicate yourself to learning this and make it more important than anything else you do in your life at this point. In other words, you should be in "full throttle" mode. Put in half-assed effort and you deserve half-assed results. Don't expect otherwise. Nearly all of your solutions in business come down to the guy or gal staring back at you in the mirror.

You'll stumble a bit in the beginning (everyone does) but the more you begin teaching your prospects the better and more confident you'll become at it.

The major reason I see people fail in starting not just a Medigap business but others, is that they are unwilling to sacrifice their time indulging in short-term pleasures in exchange for long-term success.

Tell your friends you'll go drinking or golfing with them in about 18 months, you're doing something far more important. Forget balance temporarily. Successful people don't sit around all the time stating "Well you gotta have balance".

Successful people realize that you will have frequent moments of a completely unbalanced life, because you must if you want to be extraordinary. If you have a spouse and family it's easier if they realize this as well.

Then in a few years, you can be as balanced as you want to be, wherever you want to be, and whenever you want to be.

Thanks Bevo. Really appreciated your response.

Are there paper copies of Medicare guides or all on line? I've seen some cheat sheets on here. Cheat sheet for carriers?

BTW I don't drink and haven't played golf in years! so I'm ahead in those respects.

I often struggle with balance. I like to go after one thing at a time. Past two months I've been an Uber addict.

Wonderful advice for new agents - as usual! Thanks for sharing!

I also enjoyed the bloopers in your video :laugh:

I hope it can be the best $10 investment you can make in your insurance career!

In theory, the lower the MA% the more prospects you will encounter that have Med Supps.

It can vary though and sometimes in the really low MA% areas I have found group plans to be popular (retired teachers etc.)

Group retirement health plans are also increasingly going away. See AT&T, Alcoa and many others who have gone to defined contribution instead of defined benefit.

As someone else noted earlier, in many of the southern states, a lot of the people are going to be Dual Eligible (i.e. on Medicaid.) While in larger metros many of those on Medicaid will be on Dual SNPs, (leading to higher penetration) in many less populated areas those plans are not available or may not be worth getting due to a limited network. Even some that aren't duals will not be able to afford a Medigap.

I just checked your list, (which is very helpful btw) and many of the parishes (counties) in my state with the lowest penetration are also the poorest ones, with some being among the poorest counties in the USA. It is the same with some other states with which I am familiar.

Low penetration is also generally an indication that MA plans are not very good or are non-existent, especially in the rural counties. That's likely even moreso the case now with the demise of PFFS plans. So that's definitely a plus.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, (and I haven't marketed with phone sales in mind, admittedly) but I think some additional screening would be advisable when calling those counties. You wouldn't want to burn through a lot of leads calling people who can't buy your product and never will be able to.

In some rural areas especially, people are also leery of doing business over the phone, don't have a computer and so on. But today this is moreso with the 70+ crowd or even 75+ crowd than with T65. And in some very rural areas, they'd have a hard time getting anyone to come to their home regardless due to the windshield time involved. (I've written a lot of business in the past because I was the one guy willing to make the trip.)

Some of the current high producers over the phone seem to focus largely on T65 (I think) as well as those who likely have a computer. I'm thinking of someone who was featured at the Med Supp summit, but the name escapes me. (IIRC a big part of his m.o. for building credibility was to give them his license number and show them how to look him up on the DOI website. He'd be upfront and tell them he was calling from Fla and would be calling Montana or wherever.)

What kind of screening for income do those of you do who are selling over the phone?

Last edited:
Back