Need opinion on telesales imo

The first words out of their mouth will not be "we already took care of that *click*"

But there WILL be times where they will use that or a similar objection to exit the call in the first minute or two. Its rarer on TV leads then inbound, and rarer on inbound than outbound. Your TV commercials are not magically different than every other TV leads that runs into this problem occasionally.

The only FE carriers that I'm aware of that run TV commercials are Colonial Penn, LH, and SL. Which one of these 3 carriers' TV live transfers have you worked? Maybe you've worked TV live transfers from carriers I'm not aware of?

If we were talking about outbound calls to DM, TV, FB, or TM leads then I would agree with you as I'm sure we'd hear "we already took care of it", even if that lead was just 24 hours old.

We just don't hear that objection. We mainly would hear "let me think about it".

Here's one of SL's TV commercials that generate the live TV transfers.

I have never really heard of an an agent saying "dang, I spent $XXXX amount on those TV leads and sold nothing".

I have heard "there isn't enough of them/there is never any available to buy".

I doubt there is ANY agent buying 25-30 leads a week at $55 a lead. That would be the promised land if they were.

I have never really heard of an an agent saying "dang, I spent $XXXX amount on those TV leads and sold nothing".

I doubt there is ANY agent buying 25-30 leads a week at $55 a lead. That would be the promised land if they were.

The TOP 10 agents in the country at SL routinely work 50+ live transfers a week, and are licensed in 30+ states each. If you're licensed in just one state you're correct, you would have idle down time waiting for the next live TV transfer from your one state. Just try this for 30 days and see how you like it.

Reframe that as "smarter not harder based on my skill set".

The advice that 'live transfers/tv leads give you the best ROI' is not bad advice, since I think that would definitely be true OVERALL.

I know that advice is true for me. I suck at outbound type stuff because when I have tried it, I tracked it. And while I didnt lose money, it was not as profitable. So for ME, "smarter not harder' meant sticking to inbounds.

You said you were a former marketer, so if you we good at that position, you might be able to leverage that skillset. I know people are more profitable on outbounds, its rare but it happens. It might be worth it to give them a try and track the results.

Here is a scenario
Step 1-Marketers/Prequalifiers make outbound calls to get a live transfer
Step 2-The agent (you) gets to skip all the outbound stuff, and just focus on selling, and lets say $35 a lead (thats what mine are). You close at 15%. 35/.15=$233
Pros-You can focus on selling
Cons-You cannot influence/impact step 1. Some marketers are better than others, some are clunky on the phone. If the power goes out at a marketing call center in Indiana, they are still temporarily screwed even though the power is fine at the agents house. .

So you spend $233 for each inbound sale. Then you want to do a trial run of outbound to compare.
$233 is 46 $5 leads. so closing 1/46 outbound is the same cost per sale, since it still cost you $233 to get that sale.

Closing percentage is a helpful tool when a bunch of agents are all on the same type of leads. That way managers can look at the stats and help determine what works or who needs more help. But if you view yourself as a business, cost per sale is a far more useful stat.

If you are at $233/sale on inbounds, your breakeven point for the $5 outbounds would be 2.1%. So if you closed 3%, then your outbound ROI would be significantly better.

Again that is not the NORM, but if you were skilled as a marketer, don't immediately rule outbounds out.
Dude - You are way over thinking this.

The first words out of their mouth will not be "we already took care of that *click*"

But there WILL be times where they will use that or a similar objection to exit the call in the first minute or two. Its rarer on TV leads then inbound, and rarer on inbound than outbound. Your TV commercials are not magically different than every other TV leads that runs into this problem occasionally.
You have experience or data to support this statement?

You have experience or data to support this statement?
Experience- Yes, I have taken Live TV leads. Not TV callbacks or anything like that. Live TV leads where they see the commercial, call the number, and I pick up.

Live TV leads are awesome, and the types of objections @jdeasy mentioned are definitely a lot rarer on Live TV vs inbound vs outbound. That's why they are worth more, because you run into LESS of every type of objection, but its not zero.

Dude - You are way over thinking this.
I agree, overthinking it my main hobby. Just don't want OP ruling out outbounds if that would potentially be more profitable for him.

@theinsuranceman, since its a SL commercial, I'm assuming the $55 TV lead only applies to the SL captive agents right? Unless they have commercial with different verbiage running too.

Last edited:
agency selling home and life.
Wow - talk about different types of insurance. When you say - "Home" I assume you mean property insurance for homeowners?

In general I believe its a LOT easier to go independent selling life than property insurance. But it somewhat depends on what states you will represent.

I agree, overthinking it my main hobby. Just don't want OP ruling out outbounds if that would potentially be more profitable for him.

@theinsuranceman, since its a SL commercial, I'm assuming the $55 TV lead only applies to the SL captive agents right? Unless they have commercial with different verbiage running too.

I'm actually used to outbound so I definitely wont rule that out. My thing was when they told me to contact the same person 5 times a day, which is okay. But with this $2 and $5 dollar leads I'm wondering how many sales can I possibly make in a week. They told me it can take some time. Now when I contacted Bga,, their rep told me I should get 1 sale a day off their outbound leads calling 25 to 40 a day - (I forgot their exact number.) I just want whatever will be quicker. I will wait have to hold off on TV leads or inbound until I get familiar and comfortable with the various life products since I'm only used to selling one type with my job. When I contacted summit Life, I did not give any thought to what type of leads they provide or what type is most effective for me.

Who is it that tells you that they can't generate enough TV leads for everyone on their team?

Back