New 19 year old Agent looking for guidance

I understand what you are saying. So, how do we find out, as a new agents who has a good reputation? What does a good reputation mean?

First, let me state that I'm coming from the life insurance and annuity side of the insurance business. I think you're in the health insurance side? So my perspective might not fit what you're doing.

My own criteria changes over time, because I rely less and less on others for my success. At this point in my career, does the insurance company pick up the phone? Do they answer my emails? Do they help me get my stuff approved by compliance in a timely manner? How well are they rated by the rating agencies? Can I understand their products?

Or are they obstructing my sales? Do they undermine their agents by selling direct to consumers? (And I don't mean underwriting because we can know through the underwriting guide what products are meant for what markets.)

My CEO won CEO of the year, is that a good indication?

That depends on who is giving the award and for what criteria. Let's paint a picture here: Let's suppose that your agency "hired" 500 agents in a year... and only 5 survived (1%) and thrived by bringing in $200,000 of new commission business each... but 495 people failed and quit. And let's assume that THAT was a new agency record.

That would be a really inefficient way of bringing in new revenues to the company. But does the parent company offering the award care? He brought in new sales and got 5 "super-stars", right? He might be "agency of the year", but that doesn't mean that it's a friendly place for new agents.

Can a company be liked by consumers and hated by its agents? Our motto is H.O.P.E. Helping other people everyday. During the interview process they told me how this would be a long term career; and the average agent had been there over 3 years.

Yes, a company can be liked by consumers and hated by agents. We recently had a company-bashing thread by a disgruntled agent because of the hiring practices and employment conditions. He called the company a "scam", but yet, the company paid claims. Can't be a scam if the company is doing what it's supposed to - even if the employment or agent conditions aren't optimal.

I have no reputation, because I am new. My personal brand is new in this industry. I will be an asset to the team, but how will they know unless they give me a chance; and I give them a chance?

Pattybelieves

Not the reputation I was talking about. You're still looking to the company and the agency for your reputation.

I'm looking to the end consumer and my reputation with them. For what I do, the companies I represent are NOTHING compared to what I bring to the relationship. I don't use a company name (other than my own) in my marketing. When people meet with me, they're meeting with ME for what *I* bring to the table, not because of some pre-conceived idea of what one of my companies can do for them.

In fact, I am quite convinced that the reason for so many failures in the life insurance and annuity business is because new agents are relying on the PUBLIC to understand their value proposition, and the public simply doesn't know.

If I introduce myself and say "Hi, my name is DHK with New York Life" - and if that's all I say, then I am relying on YOU to understand my value proposition with New York Life. And based on what YOU believe NYL is and does, that can be positive or negative.

If I say "Hi, my name is DHK and I'm a CFP" - and if that's all I say, then I'm still relying on you to understand the value proposition of what being a CFP means. (And it doesn't mean much without clarifying one's value proposition in clear terms.)

So I don't do that. I market myself and the problems I help people to solve. Company name is immaterial... until I'm ready to present a product that helps solve the problems that the prospective client has.

It's my job to DEFINE my value proposition in terms that people understand and for their best interest.

To be completely honest, their is two answers to that question
1. i see this as a long term career more than anything and seeing myself at a company for years and then i get fired and lose my book of business doesn't sound appealing to me.

2. I'm speaking from bankers life specifically they don't let me be my own boss or try new things.

Business is always changing a majority of my sales currently have been from cold emailing and social media which they highly disapprove of "You should be door knocking and cold calling, don't replace what you're supposed to do everyday with what you want" - My Manager. I'm honestly looking for a mentor to help me through this i'm trying to absorb as much as i can but its difficult to learn the independent business haha.

Fair points, and I completely agree with you. Getting fired is usually a remote possibility - unless you're really screwing things up.

As far as "trying new things" - again I agree with you. Most companies are very protective of their brands, which adds to the paranoia of various marketing tactics, strategies, and messages. Plus, some companies really want to be thought of as "more exclusive", so they discourage door-knocking and cold-calling (except to businesses) because they want a certain image as a company.

I don't mentor others, other than through my posts on here... and I'm quite biased, but there's gold there. My post above... is worth 100x what you'll pay trying to either find the resources yourself, or using other people's "miracle systems".

Fair points, and I completely agree with you. Getting fired is usually a remote possibility - unless you're really screwing things up.

As far as "trying new things" - again I agree with you. Most companies are very protective of their brands, which adds to the paranoia of various marketing tactics, strategies, and messages. Plus, some companies really want to be thought of as "more exclusive", so they discourage door-knocking and cold-calling (except to businesses) because they want a certain image as a company.

I don't mentor others, other than through my posts on here... and I'm quite biased, but there's gold there. My post above... is worth 100x what you'll pay trying to either find the resources yourself, or using other people's "miracle systems".
I'm really just looking for information on how to get carriers, for the most part i have prospecting down. i appreciate all the information you've given so far!

I’ve been an independent insurance agent for over five years. During that time I’ve sold a wide variety of life and health products for a number of different companies. I now focus on products and services from three compaies that fill a huge need in the marketplace with a focus on low-cost alternative health plans and policies that reduce out-of-pocket costs for healthcare. I am happy to share my experience and speak with anyone who would appreciate feedback and guidance. There’s no perfect path in the insurance industry and finding a company or companies and product or products and services that you really love is what will make your career successful. You can reach me at Gary at insurance dot Lassin dot com.

I’ve been an independent insurance agent for over five years. During that time I’ve sold a wide variety of life and health products for a number of different companies. I now focus on products and services from three compaies that fill a huge need in the marketplace with a focus on low-cost alternative health plans and policies that reduce out-of-pocket costs for healthcare. I am happy to share my experience and speak with anyone who would appreciate feedback and guidance. There’s no perfect path in the insurance industry and finding a company or companies and product or products and services that you really love is what will make your career successful. You can reach me at Gary at insurance dot Lassin dot com.
Don't be shy, tell us what you got. :huh:

I think you should gain fast and good knowledge for insurance industry before going independent. This industry is really a "different animal" and has a price for entering into it. Before building your new agency culture, see what large companies are doing and "buy" from them everything good you can "buy". Then, look for your niche: what you are good in, and specialize. Give yourself at least 3 years of intense practice before jumping as independent. Find a good mentor(s). Without all of the above, and even more, you never will build a good insurance character. You'll only be a sales person.

I am curious. How is this a “different animal”? Your advice is great, I just don’t understand; and want to explore your answer.

Pattybelieves

Back