New 19 year old Agent looking for guidance

I am curious. How is this a “different animal”? Your advice is great, I just don’t understand; and want to explore your answer.

Pattybelieves
I'll try: The industry expects from us to be knowledgeable in a field where is a large ocean of knowledge needed. The industry pays us cents in a dollars sold. We sale to our clients promises which should be kept from someone else (insurance companies). We don't sale printers, neither windows installation... we sale a promise. We should have our believe in well kept promises in case to stay in our positions and especially build a career around it.
Our knowledge and practice makes this process satisfying because we also see how people need us at their hard times. When we reach this point (of good experience and knowledge), our consultative business approach eliminates the selling practice and makes us insurance professionals. All this takes 10 good years of hard work and learning.
Today's days people change their jobs every 3-4 years, they want to be paid now, not after 1 year or 10 years of hard work. In insurance independent practice it doesn't work this way. And the industry, said in general, will pay these efforts after long years of proving yourself.
Don't take me wrong: there are thousands of insurance agents who will never wet their feet deeper, than selling a car and home insurance. They'll be craftsmen in their area, and never will even bother for more. But they also need years of work before reaching a good establishment.
Long story short: this industry needs people with passion and patience for it.

"Different animal" altogether.

Every other profession that is as equal in importance and meaning... is HARD to get in.
Attorney, CPA, Doctor, Dentist, etc. YEARS of study, apprenticeship, internships, etc.

Our profession is the exact opposite of that. It's EASY to get in. Study for 2-3 weeks and pass an insurance license exam. Now you're an insurance agent. Study for a few more weeks, and you could have securities licenses and advise people in their securities asset allocation.

Recruiters are often compensated to "recruit the masses and see what sticks". Why? Because it's easier to "sell the dream" of this business without being able to actually DELIVER on that promise. Most managers can't.

Quality training is almost non-existent in the life insurance and annuity industry. And I'm not talking about product knowledge. You can study product brochures, take LUTCF courses, and even take CLU courses. That doesn't mean you know how to SELL them. And yes, life insurance and annuities are SOLD, but the best producers sell in such a way that people BUY them from them.

However, most managers are more concerned with this year's agency commission goals, rather than long-term viability of the agents they bring on board. As such, they teach methods that bring "quick" commissions, and when they don't know how to prospect and produce more results... they let them go and recruit others to take their place. That's how the life insurance and annuity industry works.

"Hire 'em in masses, teach 'em in classes, sell all their family and friends, and fire their ***es."

Your long-term success... is up to you and the skills you develop. Not your company. Companies may give a great "song and dance", but in the end, they can replace you. You have the greater risk. And the only way to help offset that risk... is to build your skills.

And you usually build your skills AFTER you realize that you don't have the skills. Hence the term "sink or swim".

I understand it now, Gorilla. Thank you for the clarification; very informative Helpico. Thank you for sharing DHK. I only want to participate in the Mass.
I don’t plan to be one of the masses DHK :jiggy:

Pattybelieves

Empathy and emotion... these are 2 things that I feel lack in the new brand of agents... product knowledge is important, but it you don't have client knowledge you will become "just another"

And in the end... it is always the basics... many people forget to always be applying the basics... no matter how long you've been in the business... or how little.

Back