Prospecting Experiment - And my Accountability Thread!

Discussion in 'Insurance Cold Calling Forum' started by MaxReaver, Jul 20, 2017.

1. MaxReaver

MaxReaver Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    So...I am in the process of kicking off an ol' school prospecting experiment starting Monday (July 24th), and I am curious if you all have any predictions or suggestions. This is also my accountability thread!

I work full time during the week so my prospecting hours are limited to evenings and weekends. I am contacting Final Expense leads via door knocking on Saturdays (see my videos on the FE forum detailing my first couple of weekends there that have brought in 4 apps so far), and I am off to a decent start there.

The Plan: Prospect for traditional and/or mortgage protection life insurance opportunities by going door-to-door cold knocking in my community of almost 2000 houses. Coverage will consist of a target of 20 homes per evening during the weekdays - 100 homes per week. I may have to adjust depending on how long it takes me to cover that kind of ground in 90+ degree weather.

Demographic: Working class neighborhood of almost 2000 homes with values ranging from 200's to 400's. A substantial percentage of the homes are less than 3 years old.

Tactics: Here is where I can use some suggestions. My limited experience tells me to use a mortgage protection pitch and try to stick with quick and easy simplified issue term and permanent insurance if an interest arises. I could just flat out say I am a life insurance agent and don't shy away from it. I have received feedback that advises against this.

I am not a seasoned door-to-door guy. I do expect a decent % of the people to be home since it is weekday evenings. I am really curious if attempting to reach out to 100+ homes a week will net any real opportunities. I know others on this forum have had some success.

Any other suggestions from you guys? If I did this 3 weeks a month, is it foreseeable to close $2000+ in AP?

2. asher

asher Well-Known Member

State:
    Florida
    Great idea- It can be done.

What kind of leave behind pieces are you carrying for mortgage protection?

3. MaxReaver

State:
    Texas
    To be honest, I wasn't planning on leaving them anything or than maybe my business card.

My thinking was if I can't hook 'em on the door step and either get in the door or an appointment, I'll just keep on fishing. I find most of the literature ends up getting tossed anyway.

4. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    In that instance, your business card is simply your nice, courteous way of parting ways.

I think a flyer would be cheaper, and perhaps, slightly more effective. It can also double as an appointment confirmation piece reminding people about what you do.

5. MaxReaver

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually tried to send you PM last night looking for a time to talk. I know you are active on this prospecting forum, and I was hoping to get some pointers at your discretion.

It appears you don't accept PM here. If you do have time, I would much appreciate a few minutes at your convenience. Please PM me with your contact info if that is acceptable.

And thanks again for the contributions here :)

6. MaxReaver

State:
    Texas
    Well...after speaking with some very big FE producers who worked the mortgage protection market for a long time, this project got squished completely.

I will be doubling down on leads and appointment setting for Saturdays since I work full time. So much for having some initiative in this area.

I am basically paying someone to do the hard work for me.

7. entrep1776

entrep1776 Well-Known Member

Hi Max,

Sometimes gotta change course.

appreciate more details on how you're doubling down?