Re-selling of Direct Mail Leads

Here is the thing. I do not think you will get an argument from anyone, other than maybe JD, That JD is 210% sold on JDs way. Which seems to be working really well for JD. But who gives a shit. Other than gleaning some ideas from his way. It is his way. Your way, my way, or anyone else's way is our way. And all of us have gleaned bits of our way from agents before us who gleaned it from others. And, what is iron clad 'fact' today will be different tomorrow. Go back and search, FB leads, Phone sales, Universal Life, Seniors using Cell Phones, Quoters, A ratings, Delivering policies, wearing a purple shirt or western boots, on and on and on.

* I used to say there is nothing new in selling insurance methods. However, the last 10 to 5 years have changed a lot. Since 2020 it has changed even more. Agents are making as much as they want using methods that did not exist 10 years ago.

Maybe in a synopsis? But, I have said from the first time I posted here that there are many ways to do this job.

I don't really have a "way". Nor tell anyone to do things a certain way other than what's optimal for them. I tell people how I do things when asked. Not as advice. I know most think it's advice and I can't help that.

I've changed many things over the years as I've learned from others. Including learning things to not do.

The main thing Travis teaches is to be "optimal". Judicious use of words is one of those things. Voice inflection, silence at times, etc.

I am not optimal in my business but I am always working toward that.

But, I do have a process. I know what I'm doing. I am prepared when I'm with a prospect/suspect. So my focus is able to be completely on the prospect and how they will fit into the process. I'm not deciding on the fly.

Then you have the experiences that I can reference. I've written over 6000 life applications. Well over 10,000 presentations. Bought well over 15,000 leads from various sources.

Paid a lot of tuition. So, do I have confidence in how I sell FE? Absolutely!!

Will I change when needed? Again, absolutely!!

Last edited:
Here is the thing. I do not think you will get an argument from anyone, other than maybe JD, That JD is 210% sold on JDs way. Which seems to be working really well for JD. But who gives a shit. Other than gleaning some ideas from his way. It is his way. Your way, my way, or anyone else's way is our way. And all of us have gleaned bits of our way from agents before us who gleaned it from others. And, what is iron clad 'fact' today will be different tomorrow. Go back and search, FB leads, Phone sales, Universal Life, Seniors using Cell Phones, Quoters, A ratings, Delivering policies, wearing a purple shirt or western boots, on and on and on.

* I used to say there is nothing new in selling insurance methods. However, the last 10 to 5 years have changed a lot. Since 2020 it has changed even more. Agents are making as much as they want using methods that did not exist 10 years ago.

TRUTH!! ^^^

It’s like politics . Nobody can change another’s person pt of view . I have several friends who door knock hard . They could care less about the hard copy . But I like it . We can sit here and also argue about verbiage on a card . Somebody believe it’s irrelevant if a card that’s govt funds or final expense . Just so they signed the card . I disagree . When it says govt funds you get a ton of Medicaid only dead broke people . Buy wether it says “ final expense or final expense life ins “ doesn’t matter . But again to each his own . All that matters is your bank account at the end of the yr . That’s the real truth

What difference does it make why he sends the copy? Chris doesn't sell insurance. He sells leads. He's obviously sold you.

I still don't understand what difference it would make to have the original. Doorknocking or not. I guess if the battle you are trying to win is to get the person to admit they did, in fact, send in the card then I guess that would help you win that battle. So what?

I'm not there to do battle over the card. I'm there to sell life insurance. If their excuse to not do business is to pretend they didn't send the card in then I'm gone from there in a couple minutes on to someone that does want/need to talk to me.

But if it makes you feel better to go back to your car with no app but being able to tell yourself, "I sure showed them"! Then knock yourself out. I hope all my competitors have that mindset.

I've never door-knocked for anything, but I've known a good number of people who have in various fields. Most of the ones who made a lot doing it told me stories of cold-knocking when leads were slow and using the same "You inquired by mail" pitch at the door.
There’s no “makes me feel better with no app”going on there.
It’s more like “I paid for a card that came in with not filled out and oh yeah they put there return address sticker on it with the little flowers and yeah who knows I might only sell 1 out of 10 of those cards that I can show the prospect but hey,that’s my beer,pizza,and strip club money dude”.

I work each and every card that comes in my way,that’s right.

I understand (and even admire) the mentality, but the most useful thing I learned in sales is to qualify before you fight. It changed my life financially. We want to fight for everything, and sometimes we win a longshot and the rush makes us think it's worth it. But the numbers show it isn't. Fight during the pitch, don't fight FOR the pitch.

The strip club is more fun when you pull up in a Mercedes.

It’s like politics . Nobody can change another’s person pt of view . I have several friends who door knock hard . They could care less about the hard copy . But I like it . We can sit here and also argue about verbiage on a card . Somebody believe it’s irrelevant if a card that’s govt funds or final expense . Just so they signed the card . I disagree . When it says govt funds you get a ton of Medicaid only dead broke people . Buy wether it says “ final expense or final expense life ins “ doesn’t matter . But again to each his own . All that matters is your bank account at the end of the yr . That’s the real truth

Almost everything works. To some degree. And if one is an end justifies the means type person then I suppose it doesn't matter?

I'm not one of those. I want to work efficiently, {optimal, if you will?}. I know when I'm out DK'ing it's inefficient. But I have accepted that when I chose to DK. Sometimes the tradeoff is worth it to me.

Does one look for reasons to work or does one look for reasons to not?

Almost everything works. To some degree. And if one is an end justifies the means type person then I suppose it doesn't matter?

I'm not one of those. I want to work efficiently, {optimal, if you will?}. I know when I'm out DK'ing it's inefficient. But I have accepted that when I chose to DK. Sometimes the tradeoff is worth it to me.

Does one look for reasons to work or does one look for reasons to not?

I never door knocked lol. Maybe 2-3x a week.

Now those apps that will show you all your leads is pretty cool for door knocking.

Door knock an appt and if they’re a no show, see what leads are within a few mile radius of you and door knock those until your next appointment.

That’s being optimal with your time.

I was always bad at the door lol. And I just didn’t like it.

I opted to spend $50-$60k on leads and send those to an appointment setter.

(And I still didn’t door knock much lol.)

But I was lazy. Always wanted as much optimization and automation as I could get, even before all the digital marketing stuff.

I loved direct mail back in the day. Definitely the highest intent lead. But I also bought American telemarketing leads, Filipino, avatars, and anything under the sun.

I was definitely one of the first to try Lee’s Facebook leads back in the day.

Many ways to optimize. Especially if you want to optimize out things you don’t enjoy doing.

I never door knocked lol. Maybe 2-3x a week.

Now those apps that will show you all your leads is pretty cool for door knocking.

Door knock an appt and if they’re a no show, see what leads are within a few mile radius of you and door knock those until your next appointment.

That’s being optimal with your time.

I was always bad at the door lol. And I just didn’t like it.

I opted to spend $50-$60k on leads and send those to an appointment setter.

(And I still didn’t door knock much lol.)

But I was lazy. Always wanted as much optimization and automation as I could get, even before all the digital marketing stuff.

I loved direct mail back in the day. Definitely the highest intent lead. But I also bought American telemarketing leads, Filipino, avatars, and anything under the sun.

I was definitely one of the first to try Lee’s Facebook leads back in the day.

Many ways to optimize. Especially if you want to optimize out things you don’t enjoy doing.

Right. I hear good things about that stuff. I don’t use any of it. But I know several that do.

I print my leads each week and put them in folders by counties.

But I’ve worked the same counties for over 30 years. This job and a previous one.

I don’t need a dot on a screen to tell me where I am or how close I am to the next one.

If I went to a new area something like that would be priceless.

Lee’s leads. I used them too. Never got any from him. But Scott got them as a trial and had a few of us sample them.

As I remember they were pretty good. Seemed to fall apart pretty quickly. I don’t know why.

Agents need to use what they think helps them. Because if they think it does, it does.

In post #39... "I do know there's two ways to do anything. The right way and the wrong way."

Then in post #41... "But, I have said from the first time I posted here that there are many ways to do this job."

Seems you can't make up your mind dude!

Back