Starting to feel like the wild west and snake oil

I understand. I am new here, playing nice in the sand box. But I can go "blasters on full" at the drop of a hat. my twitter is known for that.

It will be prudent to exercise some caution with that.

You should just understand that there are, or at least have been, some who take exception to non-agents posting regularly on the site-after asking an initial question or two. His agent to agent agent bashing comment to you is a mild version of some words and mocking he has had for me in the past.

He may, or may not, change in the future. My personal observation is that the site is a great agent resource. Hope it becomes helpful to you in the future.

I'm always a firm believer in bringing value first.

Don't ask questions that you can Google.

Do your best to be respectful, as you want to be treated.

Be open to the fact you don't know everything and maybe someone says something you don't think of or don't really have true perspective about.

After you build some credibility, you can be a little looser. However, try to be consistent with above.

If your first 20 posts is something... Questionable.. you lose credibility.

To make it even worse, the perceived, “better” hospital and doctor group in our area doesn’t accept any managed care plans. When I am asked, “can I see my doctor at Eisenhower hospital on this MAPD?” The answer is no. But, they are not told that by the MAPD salesperson.

As indicated before, that may or may not be the case.

We are dealing with (mostly) folks 65 and up. About 70% of them never bought health insurance before. They were covered by a group plan.

I ask a lot of questions, and listen. Take copious notes and repeat WHAT I HEARD THEM say back if the statement is only partially correct or completely incorrect.

Often they will say "Maybe I misunderstood" or "Maybe they told me and I forgot".

My usual response when they blurt out something not true is "Close, but no cigar". We go back over the misinformation and I give them the correct answer.

I never trash the other agent, carrier rep or SHIP counselor . . . but I do come down much harder on the latter two.

If the only way to make a sale is by putting someone else down (and I am not pointing fingers) then you will probably have a short stint in this business before being sent to the showers.

There are many ways to make your point, and correct misinformation, without put downs.

So your audience is made up of 70% that never bought health insurance and about half that have hearing or memory problems . . . or perhaps all three.

I sell both. Even though I do MAPD, I see plenty of unscrupulous and/or ignorant agents doing the “$0 supplement” sales pitch. For anyone doing both, I highly recommend documenting your conversations. People sometimes do glaze over when you are telling them things. While a bigger percentage of my book is MAPD, I’ve actually had people get upset because I told them that I did not want to put them on the zero dollar plan (one guy started yelling at me), due to their health issues. I do t think the Wild West is a mischaracterization, nor do I take it as an attack. If you are being compliant and explaining the risk, then you shouldn’t either. It’s a commentary on the number of people in our line of work who are not doing the right thing.

I do t think the Wild West is a mischaracterization, nor do I take it as an attack. If you are being compliant and explaining the risk, then you shouldn’t either. It’s a commentary on the number of people in our line of work who are not doing the right thing.

exactly. thank you.

Grass is always greener on the other side.
I sell slightly fewer MA plans than med supp plans--very tight sales between the two in this area.
One item I do point out to MA prospects: networks are very detailed. For example, a radiology department may be in network, but the radiologist may not be in network...this happened to one my clients and carrier never addressed it leaving my client an out of network radiology bill. Years ago, I had another MA carrier tell my client she should have crossed through two states to get back home after breaking a bone because it was not a life/death issue; therefore, out of network. Another client was told by a provider they were in network but actually were not and then billed $6k to which the carrier said nothing could be done. Etc with these network billing stories. Some agents don't share these possibilities, and, to me, that would be unethical. On the bright side, these are the worst case scenarios among many happy MA customers.

Back