Tablet Suggestions Anybody

On the life side, most companies I have found have developed Ipad apps rather than Android or Windows for in the field app completion. Some agents have really liked the Ipad mini for adequate size, portability and cost.

The only downsides I find with an Ipad is that it can be hard to open attachments that people send (e.g. if word) and as hasn't a USB port, hard to transfer data from other machines.

May be a stupid question, but how to you connect to the internet most of the time with a tablet? Are you using wi-fi, or service from a cell phone provider? When in a client's home, if you want to get on to Medicare.gov and use the plan finder to recommend a PDP, for example, it seems a little unreliable to count on them having wi-fi, let alone a username/password handy to let you connect.

If you use cell service, is there an extra device charge to connect a tablet along with the cell phone? I'm sure you would need to upgrade to a higher usage data package too. I'm currently using Sprint and I hate it because it doesn't get 4G in Michigan, and even the 3G signal sucks in most places I go. So, I've been dragging my feet on getting a tablet because it'd be kind of worthless using this signal to connect it to the internet.

Any help here is appreciated.

May be a stupid question, but how to you connect to the internet most of the time with a tablet? Are you using wi-fi, or service from a cell phone provider? When in a client's home, if you want to get on to Medicare.gov and use the plan finder to recommend a PDP, for example, it seems a little unreliable to count on them having wi-fi, let alone a username/password handy to let you connect.

If you use cell service, is there an extra device charge to connect a tablet along with the cell phone? I'm sure you would need to upgrade to a higher usage data package too. I'm currently using Sprint and I hate it because it doesn't get 4G in Michigan, and even the 3G signal sucks in most places I go. So, I've been dragging my feet on getting a tablet because it'd be kind of worthless using this signal to connect it to the internet.

Any help here is appreciated.

I'm in a little different situation as I am grandfathered into an unlimited 4G data plan with Verizon. I use the FoxFi app (for Androids) to turn my phone (Galaxy Note II) into a hotspot which allows wifi devices to connect to it and use its internet connection. It's called wireless tethering. I turn on my hotspot app on my phone before I go in (it will drain your battery much faster with it on) and as soon as I open my laptop, I have internet. I used to ask if the folks I was seeing if they had an wifi I could jump on, but most of the time they didn't know their password and instead of getting them distracted looking for it, I just use the hotspot all the time unless I have no signal there, which is not often with Verizon's coverage around here.

If you don't have a smartphone you can tether your computer to, you might look into a separate wireless hotspot device that the wireless carriers offer. Just be sure to watch your data usage.

My new Microsoft Surface 2 will be here TODAY. I'm excited about it. Since all of the stuff I need can be used with the browser or from Dropbox, I think it's going to be a great tool.

I recently bought a Surface Pro 2 and am absolutely in love with it. I come from iPad and iPhones, but shopped with an open mind. This thing is incredible. Let me first say that it is not the ideal tablet, and it is not the ideal PC, but is more of a fair mix of the two. That said, I still have an use my iPad for certain things.

The stylus and touch screen are what sold me on this thing. I take all of my notes on it and it handles my quick scribbles very well. I tried doing this on the iPad years ago and it's a joke. Not only is the stylus type sloppy, but the screen just didn't keep up, so many things were missed. I gave up.

Second, the fact that it is the full version of Windows is powerful in business. I can download any program I need to have with me on the fly, without having to hope there is an app for that.

Battery life is decent, screen resolution is great, processing speed is satisfying for my use.

Happy shopping!

The cons: its big, it's heavy, it's lunky, and Windows 8 is a bit different. This is all why I use my iPad for other things.

----------

Let me also add, part of the reason I started searching at all... having to bounce apps and import/ export I found to be annoying. Through the use of OneNote, it's much easier to take notes, sign forms, fill out hand-written apps, and spit it back out in a PDF. I love not having to email it, drop it, open in another app, email it again, blah blah blah. This is much smoother.

Do you have Compulife on it? Any Life Insurance illustration software?

Thanks,

Lee

I recently bought a Surface Pro 2 and am absolutely in love with it. I come from iPad and iPhones, but shopped with an open mind. This thing is incredible. Let me first say that it is not the ideal tablet, and it is not the ideal PC, but is more of a fair mix of the two. That said, I still have an use my iPad for certain things.

The stylus and touch screen are what sold me on this thing. I take all of my notes on it and it handles my quick scribbles very well. I tried doing this on the iPad years ago and it's a joke. Not only is the stylus type sloppy, but the screen just didn't keep up, so many things were missed. I gave up.

Second, the fact that it is the full version of Windows is powerful in business. I can download any program I need to have with me on the fly, without having to hope there is an app for that.

Battery life is decent, screen resolution is great, processing speed is satisfying for my use.

Happy shopping!

The cons: its big, it's heavy, it's lunky, and Windows 8 is a bit different. This is all why I use my iPad for other things.

----------

Let me also add, part of the reason I started searching at all... having to bounce apps and import/ export I found to be annoying. Through the use of OneNote, it's much easier to take notes, sign forms, fill out hand-written apps, and spit it back out in a PDF. I love not having to email it, drop it, open in another app, email it again, blah blah blah. This is much smoother.

Wino,

I'm not familiar with Compufile. What is it? I am a P&C Agent primarily. The beauty is that it's a full computer, so you can put any quoting tools or software on it that you put on your desktop in office. The only thing you might find issues with is if the software is located on your in-office server. You may have to VPN into it when not on your network. This happens with my Agency Management System.

Wino,

I'm not familiar with Compufile. What is it? I am a P&C Agent primarily. The beauty is that it's a full computer, so you can put any quoting tools or software on it that you put on your desktop in office. The only thing you might find issues with is if the software is located on your in-office server. You may have to VPN into it when not on your network. This happens with my Agency Management System.

Compulife is a popular Life quoting tool. The current draw back is the mobile version is on the cloud so if there is no signal it will not work. I am hoping the downloaded version will work on the tablet.

Thanks,

Lee

You might look into Nokia's Windows 8 products as well. I am not yet able to post links, so here is a copy & paste from sbwire(dot)com:

Customers can find Nokia Lumia tablet computers on Amazon.com, for example:
1. Nokia Lumia 2520 4G Tablet, Black (AT&T).
2. Nokia Lumia 2520 4G Tablet, Red (Verizon Wireless)
Specs - Display:10.1-inches, Camera: 6.7-MP, Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz, OS: Windows 8
Let us know what you decide to go with!

Back