Terminated?!

Just imagine if we made our elected officials go through the same credit check or even the executives at some of these insurance companies.

"do as I say, not as I do"

the rules are for the pee ons...

once your rich you make the rules-

only way to make changes is through the iron first, who is running for supreme dictator?

I have a question about the commissions. I was told CMS would not allow an agent who was not certified to receive renewals. But UHC says they will pay the renewals per the contract. Does the contract state that renewals will not be paid if the agent is not certified? If your termed, you cannot re-certify.

This is the case for MA plans, UHC also offers Medicare Supplements....Also in regards to the MA plans I would bet right in the contract it states it will pay renewals provided you remain certified.

On a slightly different rant, if you are not selling the product and just recieving renewals AHIP certification that does not involve the carrier should be sufficient. The carriers just use this as a way of stealing comp.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As soon as my renewals hit $1,000 a month UHC/AARP has been trying to Terminate me. Backround checks, Requesting info on up to date EO, Requesting copies of Scope of appointments. This is it ive decided to dump my renewals and not certify with them this next year.
I stopped writing MAs over a year ago but was just collecting the renewals. its not worth it anymore.

Its funny I feel the same way about Life of the Southwest. I just got appointed with them in April of this year and part of the appointment process was providing proof of E&O.

Guess what showed up in my office on July 5th a packet I have to go through and provide them proof of E&O again (and the cert I sent in with Appointment is good until December) My clients money hit LSW on 6/30 and it took tem until July 15th to issue the policy (other issues they kept creating) funny but the commission hasn't hit yet.

So far its the only app I've sent into them and its been a nightmare they have gone to the bottom of my carrier selection..

Last edited:
I have a question about the commissions. I was told CMS would not allow an agent who was not certified to receive renewals. But UHC says they will pay the renewals per the contract. Does the contract state that renewals will not be paid if the agent is not certified? If your termed, you cannot re-certify.

This varies by carrier, but UHC will pay the commissions/renewals IF you leave vested. You don't have to be certified or even licensed (after termination), per their policies. Their contract does not have the clause you are asking about. However, if you leave not vested, then of course nothing will pay. By the way, several carriers do require that you are certified to receive renewals, such as Coventry.
UHC recently started doing annual background checks on all contracted agents. An announcement was supposed to go out, I believe by email, explaining this. I did see a copy of the letter, hopefully everyone else did as well. The letter gives you the chance to resign prior to the background check, or to do nothing, and have the background check proceed.

This would be a good time to reflect on your current credit situation, and to make an important decision. Maybe run a credit report on yourself. If you had a recent BK for example, that could be a problem.

The reason this is VERY important is that per the contract, if you are terminated due to not passing a background check, then technically you would not be vested and would not receive renewals.

They give you the chance to resign first (prior to the background check, not after, per the letter I hope everyone receives first), and by doing that, to achieve vesting prior to the check.

If you do fail the background check, there is an appeal process. We have had many agents who were denied on a background check (either new agents or agents with issues from the annual check) successfully pass the appeal. It is very important to submit a detailed appeal letter, with any supporting documents, and in addition, to have your upline submit a letter of support as well, if they are willing to do so. With a letter from the FMO, as well as a letter from you, IF the issue is strictly due to credit, you do have a reasonably good chance of succeeding with the appeal. No guarantees, but definitely worth trying, and we have seen this lead to positive resolution for many.

If the issue is something more, such as a criminal offense, then the chances are pretty low of success with an appeal.

The third part vendor is used by many other carriers as well, so if you are contracting with several carries as a new agent, you may see more than one letter from them (BIG).

It is important to have the denial reasons prior to submitting the appeal, to make sure you are appealing the correct issues. Your upline can provide all needed information on this process.

If you don't think you are going to pass the annual check, you may want to consider resigning in advance, in order to retain your renewals.

You can always apply to re-contract in the future.

By the way, we have seen agents with huge renewals and bad credit pass the annual check. It's not just the credit score, it has a lot to do with current collections, recent bankruptcies, any judgements, any criminal issues (DUI for example), etc.

One important thing about selling MA is to be with an FMO or agency who you trust, and who you have a good relationship with, since in situations like this, you really need someone to fight for you. If you don't have support from your upline on an appeal, your case won't be as strong. If you are worried about this, I would talk with your upline in advance, and ask if they would be willing to write a supporting letter, in case you do have issues with your annual check.

If they are not willing to do that, you could transfer to someone who will, or perhaps consider resigning prior to the check.

It looks as though MA plans are moving in this direction, so if you are not sure, contact the plans you are selling, and ask about their procedure, so there will be no surprises (especially if you have built up a strong renewal base).

Last edited:
I have renewals with UHC on the medicare side, supps and MA's. I never got this email, or this notification via snail mail.

I contacted UHC on this matter yesterday, their response "We only do annual background reviews on selected agents". I guess I am not one of UHC's "select agents" works for me :D.

This varies by carrier, but UHC will pay the commissions/renewals IF you leave vested. You don't have to be certified or even licensed (after termination), per their policies. Their contract does not have the clause you are asking about. However, if you leave not vested, then of course nothing will pay. By the way, several carriers do require that you are certified to receive renewals, such as Coventry.
UHC recently started doing annual background checks on all contracted agents. An announcement was supposed to go out, I believe by email, explaining this. I did see a copy of the letter, hopefully everyone else did as well. The letter gives you the chance to resign prior to the background check, or to do nothing, and have the background check proceed.

This would be a good time to reflect on your current credit situation, and to make an important decision. Maybe run a credit report on yourself. If you had a recent BK for example, that could be a problem.

The reason this is VERY important is that per the contract, if you are terminated due to not passing a background check, then technically you would not be vested and would not receive renewals.

They give you the chance to resign first (prior to the background check, not after, per the letter I hope everyone receives first), and by doing that, to achieve vesting prior to the check.

If you do fail the background check, there is an appeal process. We have had many agents who were denied on a background check (either new agents or agents with issues from the annual check) successfully pass the appeal. It is very important to submit a detailed appeal letter, with any supporting documents, and in addition, to have your upline submit a letter of support as well, if they are willing to do so. With a letter from the FMO, as well as a letter from you, IF the issue is strictly due to credit, you do have a reasonably good chance of succeeding with the appeal. No guarantees, but definitely worth trying, and we have seen this lead to positive resolution for many.

If the issue is something more, such as a criminal offense, then the chances are pretty low of success with an appeal.

The third part vendor is used by many other carriers as well, so if you are contracting with several carries as a new agent, you may see more than one letter from them (BIG).

It is important to have the denial reasons prior to submitting the appeal, to make sure you are appealing the correct issues. Your upline can provide all needed information on this process.

If you don't think you are going to pass the annual check, you may want to consider resigning in advance, in order to retain your renewals.

You can always apply to re-contract in the future.

By the way, we have seen agents with huge renewals and bad credit pass the annual check. It's not just the credit score, it has a lot to do with current collections, recent bankruptcies, any judgements, any criminal issues (DUI for example), etc.

One important thing about selling MA is to be with an FMO or agency who you trust, and who you have a good relationship with, since in situations like this, you really need someone to fight for you. If you don't have support from your upline on an appeal, your case won't be as strong. If you are worried about this, I would talk with your upline in advance, and ask if they would be willing to write a supporting letter, in case you do have issues with your annual check.

If they are not willing to do that, you could transfer to someone who will, or perhaps consider resigning prior to the check.

It looks as though MA plans are moving in this direction, so if you are not sure, contact the plans you are selling, and ask about their procedure, so there will be no surprises (especially if you have built up a strong renewal base).

It wasn't made 100% clear if the letters were going to everyone all at once, or only to agents at the 1 year mark. Maybe only to the "selected agents" although we were told it was everyone. We were provided a sample letter by UHC, which is what I am referring to, and I did hear from agents who received it. Hopefully it doesn't end up in Spam, and for all I know, the rollout of this new procedure could have changed over the past few months.

The bottom line is that for anyone in MA who has a solid renewal base, it is really important to check with the plan, to make sure you know what to expect. Also, it is important to understand the vesting requirements.

For anyone who was recently terminated, and who has renewals at risk as a result, I would suggest that you immediately contact the plan, to confirm if you will receive them (since technically you would not, per most contracts). If they say you will, great, nothing to worry about. Write down the name of who you talked to, the date, etc. If they say you will not, then you would want to know that sooner than later, so that you can appeal the termination. If it was credit based, you may have a chance to salvage the situation.

From what I have seen, most carriers don't really want to take your renewals. Some would argue that renewals are closely tied to retention, and insurance companies want to keep the business in force. What happens when an agent looses their renewals? Well, in some cases, the policies tend to fall of the books. Paying renewals arguably helps to keep the business in force. I am not just referring to agents who may try to take their business elsewhere, but actually having the agent actively involved in problem solving and service for the clients, is an important part of retention as well.

Since this "mysterious" letter only applies to the senior division I will only comment on that operation. I don't have a lot of renewal income with UHC senior division just about 500.00 a month but I will be watching my residuals with them very closely..

I can't remember the last time I sold a UHC med supp or MA, they aren't anywhere near competitive in the markets that I work in. Heck, probaly not even in the top 10, and No I don't have 10 med supp or MA carriers I work with. I didn't even recertify with them last year .

It wasn't made 100% clear if the letters were going to everyone all at once, or only to agents at the 1 year mark. Maybe only to the "selected agents" although we were told it was everyone. We were provided a sample letter by UHC, which is what I am referring to, and I did hear from agents who received it. Hopefully it doesn't end up in Spam, and for all I know, the rollout of this new procedure could have changed over the past few months.

The bottom line is that for anyone in MA who has a solid renewal base, it is really important to check with the plan, to make sure you know what to expect. Also, it is important to understand the vesting requirements.

For anyone who was recently terminated, and who has renewals at risk as a result, I would suggest that you immediately contact the plan, to confirm if you will receive them (since technically you would not, per most contracts). If they say you will, great, nothing to worry about. Write down the name of who you talked to, the date, etc. If they say you will not, then you would want to know that sooner than later, so that you can appeal the termination. If it was credit based, you may have a chance to salvage the situation.

From what I have seen, most carriers don't really want to take your renewals. Some would argue that renewals are closely tied to retention, and insurance companies want to keep the business in force. What happens when an agent looses their renewals? Well, in some cases, the policies tend to fall of the books. Paying renewals arguably helps to keep the business in force. I am not just referring to agents who may try to take their business elsewhere, but actually having the agent actively involved in problem solving and service for the clients, is an important part of retention as well.

Use to have 799 score- then went and bought 2 phase 1 condo's that werent even buildt yet for investment purposes back in 2005. Had 2 good tenants, both left- couldnt afford to replace carpet and paint and couldnt find renters- exhausted all savings funds to keep notes current

Both still on a short sale

No other bad debt-

I'm afraid to even see what my score is currently, but I'll betcha it aint above 600

Use to have 799 score- then went and bought 2 phase 1 condo's that werent even buildt yet for investment purposes back in 2005. Had 2 good tenants, both left- couldnt afford to replace carpet and paint and couldnt find renters- exhausted all savings funds to keep notes current

Both still on a short sale

No other bad debt-

I'm afraid to even see what my score is currently, but I'll betcha it aint above 600

This story has been repeated thousands of times. You have my sympathy but all you can do is dig yourself out. Will it force bankruptcy and further hinder your insurance business.

This story has been repeated thousands of times. You have my sympathy but all you can do is dig yourself out. Will it force bankruptcy and further hinder your insurance business.

I'll never file Chapter

Half my carriers will drop me

Back