Trouble getting them to the door

You are making an untrue assumption but since you think it, it becomes self fulfilling. First, if you are having success with the phone, then continue to do that. But don't fail to door knock those you can't set an appointment with over the phone. Otherwise, you are going to be throwing away a lot of valuable leads.
All due respect, I’m not making assumptions with this. When I show up unannounced and they do answer the door, I have to spend the first five minutes fielding questions about who I am, who I work for, and what I’m doing. They get very defensive and assume I’m up to no good. It’s difficult to overcome that feeling they have after that initial interrogation and get to a point where they want to hear what I have to say. Reminding them that they filled out the card asking for the info doesn’t always work.

Calling them ahead of time and setting the appointment gives me a better sit ratio which translates to sales for me. They’re expecting me and are warm to me then.

And of course I still door knock those I can’t get on the phone. I don’t just throw those leads away.

You really think if you set apts they’ll be sitting ready at the table excited to see you???
They always are.

Hearing what some are saying here really makes me think my suspicion a long time ago that we just have a very different culture here in south Louisiana may be true. In what world do you make an appointment with a prospect and you’re not welcomed with open arms?? Because every single time I have made an appointment I was received very warmly and offered drinks/food. And I closed over 90% of them.

I’m a couple months into this now and at first I called my leads and made appointments. I didn’t do great but I made enough to pay the bills that way.

Appointment setting has always worked for me. It’s what I’ve done for 10 years. I know it, I’m comfortable with it, and it works for me.

When I started I door knocked. I then called for appointments and even hired an appointment setter. Since JUne I've been back to full time on the doors. This means I spend 8 hours a day knocking. My activity goal is 10 knocks minimum or 8 hours from first to last knock. If I hit 10 knocks and I've only been out for 4 hours - I keep knocking. 8 hours is the minimum work day.

I knock Monday through Thursday. If by Thursday night I have written at leat $3K AP, I have the option of playing golf on Friday. If I wrote over $5K, then Friday golf is mandatory.

I have had days where I knocked 20 doors and talked to no one. I have had days where I was in the field for 8 hours and only made three stops because everyone bought and there were 2 to 3 apps/house.

The point is door knocking requires a commitment to a schedule and a commitment to making the effort. If you knock a door in the morning and there is no answer, have you circled back to knock them in the afternoon or evening? Have you tried a different day of the week? If you knock a door Monday try it on a Tuesday or Thursday, not Wednesday - many seniors have activities that take place every other day. If you knock at 10 AM Monday, Wednesday, Friday it is just as likely (if not moreso) that they are at the senior center playing bingo as it is they are home huddled in the corner caressing their 44 magnum praying they don't have to use it against you.

I'm not saying this to convince you to door knock as much as I am to defend door knocking as a choiceworthy option to approach insurance prospects. There are far more FE door knockers out there than you can imagine. FEX contracting notwithstanding, there are at least as many, and probably more straight door knockers as there are those who phone for appointments.

The difference between the many door knockers who'd have it no other way and you is mindset, work ethic, or trainign/ability.

But what advantage do you think one has when they have to diffuse the situation when a suspicious senior citizen thinks you’re a dirty door to door salesman trying to take advantage of them and THEN go into your warm up and pitch

You won't want to believe it, but most of the negativity you are experiencing has its source in you and your beliefs. I don't get in every home where the door is answered, but I get in most of them. I am not welcomed with open arms by most of them. You have to be able to disarm them at the door. My biggest sale this week it took me nearly 8 minutes to convince her to let me in for the 4 or 5 minutes I needed to see if I could help her. You need words, you need body language, and, most importantly as @jdeasy has said, you need an ability to read people. Most of those who fail at this - whether door knocker or appointment setter - fail due to lack of effort and/or an inability to read people on the fly.

At least twice you have mentioned you have set appointments before . . . I believe you said for 10 years.

What KIND of appointment? Tangible product, intangible or service?

Were these for someone else or for you? If for someone else, how do you know the folks were receptive to the salesperson and they bought?

Almost anyone with a decent script can set appointments.

QUALIFIED appointments is another thing.

There are very good mechanics who are poor business people. Making the transition from working on cars to running a business is not always easy.

You can say the same for any profession, including doctors. They are probably some of the smartest business people with great skills but have no clue how to run a business.

If you were good at setting appointments, why did you leave?

All due respect, I’m not making assumptions with this. When I show up unannounced and they do answer the door, I have to spend the first five minutes fielding questions about who I am, who I work for, and what I’m doing. They get very defensive and assume I’m up to no good. It’s difficult to overcome that feeling they have after that initial interrogation and get to a point where they want to hear what I have to say. Reminding them that they filled out the card asking for the info doesn’t always work.

Calling them ahead of time and setting the appointment gives me a better sit ratio which translates to sales for me. They’re expecting me and are warm to me then.

And of course I still door knock those I can’t get on the phone. I don’t just throw those leads away.
Well, I have been knocking on people's doors since 1971 (most of the time without benefit of a led card inviting me to visit) and have experienced very little of the attitude you describe. Sure, they are not going to just throw the door open and invite you in... you do have to tell who you are and why you are there. As, for the card, you are going to have lots of them that say they didn't send it in.. You will even have some who will look at the card and say, "yeah, that's my handwriting but I didn't send it in."... Some will invite you in, some won't. So what? Next! :yes:

At least twice you have mentioned you have set appointments before . . . I believe you said for 10 years.

What KIND of appointment? Tangible product, intangible or service?

Were these for someone else or for you? If for someone else, how do you know the folks were receptive to the salesperson and they bought?

Almost anyone with a decent script can set appointments.

QUALIFIED appointments is another thing.

There are very good mechanics who are poor business people. Making the transition from working on cars to running a business is not always easy.

You can say the same for any profession, including doctors. They are probably some of the smartest business people with great skills but have no clue how to run a business.

If you were good at setting appointments, why did you leave?
I worked in insurance for various agencies where I set appointments and went visit them. I’ve been in this industry for 10 years setting appointments and selling in person.

I worked in insurance for various agencies where I set appointments and went visit them. I’ve been in this industry for 10 years setting appointments and selling in person.

What kind of insurance?

Why did you leave if you were good at it?

Life, P&C

I left because I wanted to go on my own instead of working for someone else. I also was only making 10% on life sales. I wanted more control. Which is why it’s frustrating for my IMO to tell me the way of doing this that works for me is not the way. Then when I try their way I have zero success.

When I show up unannounced and they do answer the door, I have to spend the first five minutes fielding questions about who I am, who I work for, and what I’m doing.

Some will remember the card, they've been through this before, and they'll let you in quickly because they want to see if your deal is better than the guy they bought from last week. Others need some time to understand what is happening, why this stranger is at their door, and whether it is safe to let him in. What matters is not their questions but your answers. I would venture a guess that you've not had much if any training on the art of door knocking from your upline.

They have videos of door knocking but naturally they don’t show the entire visit from start to finish most of the time. The ones they do show in full are the ones that end in sales.

Back