Trouble getting them to the door

Your are funny somarco...

I grow facial hair all too well... as to the T factor, I read an article in Men's Health once that explained that certain types of baldness are due to high T... that's me. :cute:

Sorry for misreading your post . . .

This must be you

da20683c6f88abfc0f9cbb177965cd9f.jpg

People are often curious by nature... People that mail in DM cards are curious and will allow that curiosity to cause them to act.

I'm an old door knocker... and if you aren't getting in, most of the time there is a reason, and you need a "check-up from the neck-up".

People will respond in the first .5 seconds to 2 things (maybe 3)...
  • How you dress... don't look like a bum (that means facial hair is usually out)... Mildred likes them clean shaven... also your size, big and tall need to step down and back from the door.
  • What your face is saying... it will scream while you sand there silent... is it greeting or grieving?
  • Do you smell good... :laugh:, I am sure you do just remember that is important as well.
QUESTION?

Of the ones that answer the door, how many let you in?
You’re right about everything you said. Except the facial hair. Maybe that’s true for more northern states, but in the south facial hair is as common as pickup trucks. I’ve had a beard for my entire career, and I get into nearly every door I knock. (But my beard is neatly trimmed and I try to dress neatly. Your point being that appearance is a factor in getting their guard to go down.)

I agree. I will move on from them if they continue to talk down to me regarding appointment setting.

Keep an open mind... and an ever growing skill to observe and listen. All three are paramount to sales... both in selling the clients and in learning how to become better at your trade.

That said... "do what is working and work on what is not doing." :yes::err:

Sorry for misreading your post . . .

This must be you

da20683c6f88abfc0f9cbb177965cd9f.jpg

To be that young again...

Hmm... you are so close! :nah::laugh:

You’re right about everything you said. Except the facial hair. Maybe that’s true for more northern states, but in the south facial hair is as common as pickup trucks. I’ve had a beard for my entire career, and I get into nearly every door I knock. (But my beard is neatly trimmed and I try to dress neatly. Your point being that appearance is a factor in getting their guard to go down.)

You are a presentation of a distinguished beard... I've seen the pictures. :biggrin:
It takes a good man to pull that off... As I look more like the above photo (or it seams somarco thinks)... Mildred would be more likely to call the cops... or in the South she just might shoot me herself. :laugh:

Can't imagine seeing that come up the drive or looking at me through the peep hole... He doesn't know it yet, but he looks like a "doggy treat"... I'm pretty sure my dog would think the same thing.:yes:

They always are.

Hearing what some are saying here really makes me think my suspicion a long time ago that we just have a very different culture here in south Louisiana may be true. In what world do you make an appointment with a prospect and you’re not welcomed with open arms?? Because every single time I have made an appointment I was received very warmly and offered drinks/food. And I closed over 90% of them.
I don’t think LA culture is very different from E TX. In fact, a lot of my clients in the Dallas metroplex are actually from rural LA. I’m with Newby in that if you have more success setting appointments on the phone you should keep doing that. Most of the very successful producers do exactly that. But some of us are far more successful at the door. For my clientele at least, if I call, I’m just one more of a myriad of calls that day and easily dismissed. At the door, I’m somewhat unique, and come across as non-threatening, friendly, comfortable (though still professional). I get in nearly every door that answers.

However, there are some communities that people seem to be more guarded or suspicious of strangers. I live in a community like that. Very tough to sell insurance here, especially if you don’t live here. Which is why I go into the big city several days a week, which is where I get most of my sales. Lots easier, even though safety can sometimes be a concern. Maybe try some other community types.

Earlier you said you don’t work past 5. You said they’re all retired or on disability, so you expect them to be home. Most of my senior clients are exactly that, but are still active and don’t stay home during the day. If you don’t stay out and knock doors past 5, you’re missing a lot of opportunity.

I’m a couple months into this now and at first I called my leads and made appointments. I didn’t do great but I made enough to pay the bills that way. Calling and setting appointments is what I’m used to.

My IMO told me that’s dumb and that I need to go visit and door knock instead so I tried that. Well, I have fallen flat onto my face doing this!!!

Nobody comes to the door this way. And I don’t blame them, either. I never answer my own door when it’s someone I don’t recognize and am not expecting. I’m sure they’re doing the same thing.

I’m very tempted to go back to MY way of doing this and telling my IMO to kick rocks with their way of thinking and let me do this the way I want to do this. After all, my way was more successful than their way. I ate when I did it my way but now I’m starving trying to do it their way.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Has anyone else ever had this issue of appointment setting working better than door knocking?

I’m getting very frustrated!
You need to learn to do "The Wave". It will increase the number of people that answer the door by 3% if you do it correctly. Contact Todd King to learn "The Wave" from an expert, :yes:

For every 10 knocks I am getting roughly 1 person to answer and the majority of the time they’re pissed when they find out this isn’t something that’s paid for by the state. They misunderstand the lead card and think “state regulated” means “state-funded”. At that point it’s difficult to get them to take down their defenses and open their mind to what I have to say.

The vast majority of the time they’re not answering the door. When I call them I at least can get 3 or 4 of every 10 to answer their phone.

I’m buying 20 leads a week.
Call them, and the one's that don't answer the phone, door knock. Try doing both. The door knocking will increase your business over just calling on the phone. :yes:

Maybe nobody's answering their door because you're a shifty looking character? :err:

I agree with you. Appointment setting makes me more money and is a hell of a lot cheaper for ME.

And you’re 100% correct - interrupting a senior in the middle of the day when they’re not expecting it is a huge turn off from the start for them.

If my IMO fights back from this enough and makes a big deal out of it, I’m asking for a release and going with another one who will respect my decision to run my business in a way that works for ME, not them. They’re super nice guys and they’re always there for me when I need something but good God - let me do what works for ME not them.

Appointment setting has always worked for me. It’s what I’ve done for 10 years. I know it, I’m comfortable with it, and it works for me.
If you're Independent, you can do it the way YOU want. :yes:

Newby might have a point about your upline selling you old leads.

When is the last time you had someone (a consistent producer) follow you?

Often times we revert to old habits without really realizing we have done so... or we pick up bad ones in the course of time. You have the right skills it would seem... but perhaps you have picked up some bad habits or off script a bit. Having someone who is "on task" follow you for a couple of appointments and critique you would be a very valuable. VERY VALUABLE!

I cannot tell you how often this has been very beneficial for me over the years.
Yep, sometimes we have to push the reset button and "get back to the basics". :yes:

Back