Unicare

One other point I am trying to make about the consumer: if you talk to people in general, they think they can waltz in any emergency room and get treated, because by law they have to treat them. Then when it's check out time they think they can just say, "too broke to pay" and they are free to go. Not everyone thinks this way, but articles such as the ones I posted above would lead them to believe it. The hospitals have given up on getting insurance companies to pay and are begging the government.

One other point: I know a doctor who told me he really likes the new trend of boutique practices who do not mess with insurance. The doctor just puts you on a monthly fee, and you get so many visits included. { does not answer the major catastrophic surgery question}

So, we have doctors already bypassing the insurance system, and hospitals doing it. They have gotten away from insurance.

Going for a monthly fee doctor: you put the doctor on "retainer" like a lawyer or something.

Grey Canyon Family Medicine - Membership

Peeler, I'm trying to tell you that selling individual health insurance in this state is not a great plan. I've been here selling since 1990. Got you beat on that, been selling more than 16 years. I worked for Mutual of Omaha selling individual health major med { not just supplemental and limited} and they pulled it. I worked for a Dallas company called Republic Bankers, selling individual health, they pulled it. These companies are pulling health products like crazy. Here's a few more: Principal, Bankers Life and Casualty. Physicians Mutual had a major med, pulled it. I have no clue who you are selling with, but plan on them pulling the product, or changing it drastically. Your choices are dwindling. { even NASE and Farm and Ranch keep changing carriers and changing things up.... things change in a year or two... or in 6 months.} Unicare has a dodgy reputation around here, as does Humana. So does United. Humana and United mainly because they pull out of HMO networks and leave people hanging. Assurant is non-competitive. The Blues kind of run this state anyhow. If you are selling health in this state it better be with Blue Cross, or Aetna or maybe Golden Rule. That's about all the ones that I can think of... well, maybe American National. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised American National doesn't pull the health and concentrate on life.

You write health insurance and you are writing a claim, that's basically it. TX has some of the biggest problems with the most uninsured, the most illegals, the most health conditions, overweight, and the most politicians wanting to be famous for figuring out the solution. That right there is the biggest problem: Texas politicians, you guys think they are conservative around here? They sure don't tax and spend like they are conservative.

dude, u don't have a freeking clue... i could pick apart every single comment u made as total bs..... where did we get this guy from? go away...shooe shooe

One other point I am trying to make about the consumer: if you talk to people in general, they think they can waltz in any emergency room and get treated, because by law they have to treat them. Then when it's check out time they think they can just say, "too broke to pay" and they are free to go. Not everyone thinks this way, but articles such as the ones I posted above would lead them to believe it. The hospitals have given up on getting insurance companies to pay and are begging the government.

One other point: I know a doctor who told me he really likes the new trend of boutique practices who do not mess with insurance. The doctor just puts you on a monthly fee, and you get so many visits included. { does not answer the major catastrophic surgery question}

So, we have doctors already bypassing the insurance system, and hospitals doing it. They have gotten away from insurance.

Going for a monthly fee doctor: you put the doctor on "retainer" like a lawyer or something.

Grey Canyon Family Medicine - Membership

again, all lies, false assumptions no clue about texas indy health insurance market... pall, if you are hearing people telling you that they can run off to the er room and get treatment paid for u are selling to te bottom of the ocean broke dicks.... and as i said earlier, your a supplement and limited benefit salesman(you said so yourself in a prior post) sugestion, upgrade your client base and sell beter companies, u sound just someone that sells limited benefit plans... trash all the major med. carriers scare the piss out of everyone and slide in with the crap plan.... dude, your a joke

Yes, I will gladly admit that I sell supplemental policies, to people under 65 . The last policy I sold was an accident only policy, and I handed the lead off to a health agent I know -to write her up for health ins. I heard he wrote her. Good for him. Now she has a health policy and a supplental accident plan. Yipee. I choose not to write health insurance, because I don't want to. I used to do it in the 1980's in other states, and the early 1990's here, did not enjoy it. I prefer to write little accident plans and small final expense whole life policies. That's my niche. I have appointments with Aetna and Golden Rule and Blue Cross, but choose not to write it. I am glad, however, to have agents around who do write health, so I can pass the lead off. Of course, I'm not passing any leads off to Peeler now, but I don't get many, so he probably won't be too offended. That last one was like July of 2007, so I'm not going to make any TX health agents rich. But I certainly am not going to hammer a guy for writing health or car insurance or homeowners or whatever, go write it, go after it. I guess that because I think that insurance companies should probably think twice about writing in TX, then I guess that means Peeler takes personal offense to it -like I'm hammering him personally. I am not. Go ahead Peeler, write health insurance, I don't mind.

I just like to write in my comfort zone, you guys write what you like to write, so be it, don't really see the problem here.

The bottom line is that I see a trend towards supplemental and indemnity, and away from major med and PPO. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I just see companies like Mutual of Omaha and Conseco trending that way. Good for them. But getting offended by opinions of trends and calling names and so on, that doesn't seem really constructive, but whatever you guys want to do.

I see a trend towards premiums on health going up in TX, and it seems at a little higher rate than what I'm told by agents I've spoken with in other states, but health premiums go up all the time, no biggie. So Unicare is going up? What's new? Add to the chaos.

I also think that if you want to build up a 20 year renewal block, that stays on the books, whole life may be a better bet. It remains the same premium -and there's only one claim. Just a thought. The renewals will build over twenty years and stay on the books better, but what the heck, maybe a lot of guys around here don't really care about renewals as much, and most guys around here worry more about advances, from what I've seen. Great, go write it up and get advanced all you guys want, I'm happy for you. When they drop it and you have chargebacks, take care of that as well. I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Most of us don't have issues with chargebacks... Conseco and MOO pulled out of TX quite a few years back. There are several companies that have been doing biz in TX for many years that have not pulled out.

I think it's a national trend anyway.. increases and pulling out of states. I don't disagree with that fact, but the fact that you claim TX is any worse than other states. Based on the information in front of me, I think TX is one of the best states to write indy health plans...

Yes, TX is good for the agents, many uninsured prospects to choose from, but from a cost of claims point of view , looking at TX from a home office point of view, it may not be as good. Prospecting is real easy, plenty to choose from, but then you got underwriting and claims... just something I'm not too keen on trying to mess with. Just not for me, you guys write it I'm glad, it's just more guys I can pass leads off to.

I don't want to be that guy underground changing the oil in cars either. That greese monkey guy. I love cars but I don't want to do that for a living. I don't want to be a pooper scooper, either. Or the janitor in a football stadium bathroom.

Back