AARP Secure Horizons

Well here in MI you can go to the state page and search by last name. Know many states now have this option. So basically a manager could spend 10 minutes and look up all his/her agents. It shows all appointments and CE status.

I would do this before I hired any one and for sure would check through out the year if my agent was to sell only one plan.

In the meeting they said they don't mind agents being contracted with other carriers as they know that no one is going to sign with them if they have to give up any renewals. I'm thinking Blue Cross in my area which has a MA plan of their own (I'm going to the cert meeting tomorrow.) I would not give up my appointment to BCC in order to sell UH. That would make no sense at all.

However if I signed with UH I would not sell the BCC MA plan. Still, if someone did, I don't think there is any way that UH could find out, but I don't have any experience in how any of this captive or 'exclusive' stuff works.

As for the poster who intimates that people who ask questions about a contract are somehow unethical and seeking to evade it, my answer is that it is not one's words that should be judged, but ones actions.

As for myself, I don't think the AARP HMO plan is competitive in my area at $90/month... and having worked for the CA Dept of Managed Health Care I know first hand the abuses that HMOs in this state try to pull off. The other 3 non-AARP UH plans are all PFFS and I don't care for those either. I'm a PPO guy because I think it gives the insured the best options and protections. Also I've had PPOs for the past 20 years and have been happy with them. Perhaps if I had an HMO (i.e. Kaiser) I might think differently.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary)

Al

Al, please read my post again. I am not accusing anyone who questions a contract as headed for unethical conduct. I apologize if you took offense. What I am saying, is I will not support an attempt to violate a contract and I stand by that statement. Question the contract all you want before signing, but after you sign it (if you do), abide by it.

Al, please read my post again. I am not accusing anyone who questions a contract as headed for unethical conduct. I apologize if you took offense. What I am saying, is I will not support an attempt to violate a contract and I stand by that statement. Question the contract all you want before signing, but after you sign it (if you do), abide by it.

I agree with you. I'm just trying to figure out what the contract really says, what the intent is, what the precedent is, what industry convention is, and how these agreements are enforced or adjudicated. We're both on the same team here, but you've had more game time than I have.

Al

Then pay an atty your $50 and be done with it. When you start going into intent, nuances, analyzing all the legal provisions, etc, why not hire a contract lawyer so he can point out the mines. And have you thought of asking that hiring mgr for UHC? Ask him.

Then pay an atty your $50 and be done with it.
You have a lawyer that charges $50? Send me the name and I'll use them too. My law firm charges 4 times that.

When you start going into intent, nuances, analyzing all the legal provisions, etc, why not hire a contract lawyer so he can point out the mines.
Good suggestion. See above.

And have you thought of asking that hiring mgr for UHC? Ask him.
Obviously. However he is located in WA, is on the road a lot doing these meetings, and has not returned the last few emails I've sent. I assume he is just swamped.

Finally, after seeing the products, one being a $90/mo HMO and the others PFFS, I think I will pass. I'm not an HMO of PFFS guy. Some folks love them, and that's fine, but having worked at the CA Dept. of Managed Health Care (the regulators of HMOs and PPOs) I feel more comfortable with the PPO paradigm than the HMO, which has had a long history of 'abuses' in this state. I've had PPO plans for 15 years and have never had a problem. I hear (and know) horror stories about HOMs.

As for PFFS products, I don't like the idea of balance billing or the 'ability' of a provider to decide to treat the patient on one day but turn them away the next.

True, my fears might be exaggerated, but I don't see what UH brings to the table that others don't have in plans that I see as more 'secure' for seniors. (My 60 year old wife is on Medicare from disability so I know the system fairly well... she has Blue Cross Freedom One MA currently and has been very happy with it the past year.)

Anyway, thanks for your excellent suggestions and information.,

Al

Unfortunately, it looks like they have seriously engaged in cherry picking.

For Louisiana, Secure Horizons looks like it is only going to be available in 19 Parishes out of 66, and in only 3 of the major metros, and not in the greater New Orleans area at all.

Love em or hate em, at least Humana doesn't cherry pick the way most other carriers do.

Geez,al3, it sounds like you could use the services of Pre-Paid Legal. I understand theay are pretty cheap.:D:D:D (Just kidding, of course----but they do write scarry (sic) letters for you.)

Last edited:
I Have Leads

I would like to network with agents from other states. I am licensed in NY, NJ, FL, PA and a couple of other states. I am looking to find agents or brokers in other states to handle some of the leads I get in other states especially California, Michigan, Illinois and Idiana. If you would be interested please contact Floyd King at [email protected] or call 585-224-8138. My only request is that these leads are handled in a timely manner and I only expect compensation for the leads that actually sell. This is a great opportunity for someone since these leads are exlusive. Each lead will only go to 1 person.

Ya -- know I was promised this tidal wave of leads from AARP, SecureHorizons & UnitedHealth Care through my FMO and nada, zip, nothing. Promises made promises broke. In this business the proof is in the leads. Show me the leads!

Back