Considering getting into the insurance industry, need advice/direction!!

Re: Considering getting into the insurance industry, need advice/

That is amazing. It took me almost two full weeks of nightly studying and I mean up late, eating frozen dinners type of studying! :laugh:I had the initial chapters finished a few months before too! (I had to postpone my studying at that time but picked it up again later.)

Just my thoughts...but the test Ohio test is a joke..If u crammed in college u will do fine. i never opened a book until the night before, crammed 4 hrs and scored in the 90's. It appears to have been designed on an 8th grade level, use reverse wording, 2 will be close, 1 way out there and another maybe. You can score a 70% if u master your test taking skills.....and pick up a few more correct answers and u passed...serious. good luck.

we had a 100% pass ratio for our contracted agents and never trained on test material after they finished their classroom training.

this may not be true for all...but it was for our agency.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just passed my test last week! This site encouraged me a lot! You can do it!:yes:

If I could study again one thing I would have done differently is read the first few chapters where the new terms were introducted several times before moving on. The regulations are 100% easier once you know the vocabulary. I think I would have moved through the material a lot faster if I had a better understanding of the terms.

Something that helped me was I typed out a little study guide for the items specific to the FL state portion and then copied and made a second Word document. Then I went through and deleted a lot of the important words and put a ___ there.

Like this:
rebating
The act of _____ part of the commission, premium, services or anything of _____ to the purchaser...

I did some flashcards too but my hands got tired from writing eventually.

I posted a thread called overwhelmed with state portion exam and everyone gave me great advice!
Good Luck! :1smile:

Last edited:

Here's my advice for the day but then again I'm having another bad one.

Consider NOT getting into the industry.

Not surprised about replies that I've received from my original posting. They are trolls in every bulletin board trolling around just to make fun of people or belittle them. I feel sorry for these idiots.

I've had interviews with Farmers Insurance and they want $ 63.50 to verify my background. Another company, SF needs to pull credit report and check into my net assets to make sure I'm sitting on $ 50K before they offer me a job.

A penny for your thoughts. What suggestions can you provide me?
Okay, I have a friend who was a 30+ year State Farm agent. He will tell you the deal is not the same as it used to be. There's a ton of information on this forum in which you can read and make your own decision.

As far as Farmers goes, there is plenty of information here about them too. If you want to work at Farmers then I guess it will cost you $63.50 to get started.

So you want to be a salesman and a closer but you aren't too excited about prospecting, right. Hmmmm. Prospecting is where you will spend the majority of your time unless you are willing to pay for leads. Leads are expensive.

You might consider staying right where you are at. Wrap up your friends and family list and move on.

I'm not much on the mortgage side of things, but I love being part of the life & health industry! I made a career change early on from studying prelaw to business management and insurance.

If you have a full time job, keep it for now.. don't just jump into insurance with nothing to fall back on - agents are commission based unless of course they are captive hires with other companies. I enjoy taking a home office direct agent trained to be a robot and helping them find themselves and be the "best they can be" so to speak... but when I get new agents approach me about wanting to just jump in with both feet wet I don't suggest it. Keep your day job, learn the biz, find you a local IMO/FMO who is willing to train, and retrain you no matter how many times it takes for you to get it. I promise you, that "no" is going to be one of many..but that first "yes" is the glory and joy of what makes being an agent because at the end of the day I can go home to my kid and know I really helped someone.

Just my 2 cents.. hi..new to the forum by the way lol...

Dz
"Independent Broker.. Captivated not Captive!":cool:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Okay, I have a friend who was a 30+ year State Farm agent. He will tell you the deal is not the same as it used to be. There's a ton of information on this forum in which you can read and make your own decision.

As far as Farmers goes, there is plenty of information here about them too. If you want to work at Farmers then I guess it will cost you $63.50 to get started.

So you want to be a salesman and a closer but you aren't too excited about prospecting, right. Hmmmm. Prospecting is where you will spend the majority of your time unless you are willing to pay for leads. Leads are expensive.

You might consider staying right where you are at. Wrap up your friends and family list and move on.

I have to agree.. if you can't find it in yourself to prospect there isn't much for you. Your first Lead is who is around you.. church, community, organizations, word of mouth, friends, family etc... you don't have to spend a ton of money on leads to get the word out. My first sale was to my best friends mom and from there I got 3 more via her friends.. and I spent nothing out of my pocket except the 3miles of gas I used... Referrals are liquid gold.. use them first!

Last edited:
Back