Frustrated

Yeah I was told to block the number from all calls. But I just don't agree with that. If people don't want to talk to you then why force them to. It's a waste of time. Most of the time you just end up with an upset client, not a potential sale.

I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the 11K fine (ridiculously excessive) for violating the Do Not Call is supposedly set up to encourage reporting by giving half of the 11K to the person you called reporting the violation. I suspect if a person is aggravated by your call and knows he can pocket $5,500 while making an example out of you, he'll use any means to get your number and get the call tracked. Phone companies have those records. If your manager told you to simply block your number then, like mine, he was thinking of his interests, not yours. After all, YOU/ME will pay the fine, not him, but he'll get overrides either way.

Know what I would do? I would keep an accurate log with date, time, location and anyone's name who may have heard what was said, of every confrontation you have with this jerk. Seriously.

If it ever comes to a head, and you have documented information, it will be more than just your word against his. If you don't have documentation they it is all just hear say. I'm sure there must be someone who would like to know that he is telling you to forget about the no call list.

I feel for you, been there, done that, even have the t-shirt. Just remember one thing, "time wounds all heels".

Yeah, I don't know what I would do for "proof" of some of my complaints. The situation where I'm in now says that even if his boss would believe me, it's hard to believe a mediocre agent complaining about an established manager.

I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the 11K fine (ridiculously excessive) for violating the Do Not Call is supposedly set up to encourage reporting by giving half of the 11K to the person you called reporting the violation. I suspect if a person is aggravated by your call and knows he can pocket $5,500 while making an example out of you, he'll use any means to get your number and get the call tracked. Phone companies have those records. If your manager told you to simply block your number then, like mine, he was thinking of his interests, not yours. After all, YOU/ME will pay the fine, not him, but he'll get overrides either way.

I know if I wanted to trap a telememarkter who blocked the call and I was on the DNC list I'd actually act like a buyer. I'd get all the info I needed, then sue.

Yeah, I don't know what I would do for "proof" of some of my complaints. The situation where I'm in now says that even if his boss would believe me, it's hard to believe a mediocre agent complaining about an established manager.

I had something happen several years ago that is sort of related to this. I sold a LTC policy to a woman. She also had a Med Supp with me and had been a good client for about five years.

We discussed her LTC insurance several times before she made a decision. She was very well off so only took a policy that paid $120 per day to pay the bulk of the cost. She wanted to pay the rest of the cost herself if she ever had to go to a nursing home. (Since she had plenty of money, her decision seemed logical. Not everyone ends up in a nursing home.)

She ultimately had to go to a nursing home. Her daughter called me and was furious because her policy didn't pay 100% of the cost. Called the insurance company, spoke to legal and said I had sold her mother a crappy policy and made up all sort of additional lies.

Legal called me, there were on her side, I was already guilty based on what she told them. They said she was going to file a complaint with the DOI. (I log every conversation I have with clients and prospects in the Comment box.) I told them I would send them the entire history of what transpired during that sale. Legal called me a couple of days later and said to forget about it, they will take it from here.

It's awfully hard to dispute what you are saying when you have everything documented.

I think the first thing you learn in this business is to cover your ass. Personally I keep comments for all clients and a notebook where I log every call and the outcome. That way I know who I've called, what they said, and what I told them.

Steph I think that you are missing your managers point. Maybe he is just being a jerk and trying to take you down but maybe he is trying to help you grow. It is fantastic that you produced $3000 in a week. But there are still families that you left behind if you did not get an answer from them. A lead is a family and possible sale until they tell you otherwise. $3000 in production off of 1 or 2 leads is good but if you got 40 leads that week you have 38 leads left. What about those other families? You might be appreciated more then you realize. He sees more in you then you see in yourself. That might be a good thing.

Zack

Okay this is a vent/ ask a question thread. I'm having a little management problem. I closed down my own agency and went into what is a very good contract with an independent agency. But one of the partners is driving me nuts. It seems like no matter how much I sell he finds something to complain about. Today I turned in my production report with almost $3000 in commission for the week, and he has to drill me on how many times I called each lead. Like my numbers aren't good enough, or I'm not making enough sales. What does it matter how many times I call as long as I'm bringing in good money. I'm just a little tired of constantly proving myself to others. I'm sure others have been in this situation so how did you handle it? I don't want to give up on what could be a great oppurtunity but at the same time I don't want to work where I am under appreciated. Any advice?

I know if I wanted to trap a telememarkter who blocked the call and I was on the DNC list I'd actually act like a buyer. I'd get all the info I needed, then sue.

Sure that would work.

I'm sure most people on the DNC list would just hang-up and not pursue it. Some probably are not even aware of the monetary incentive to report violations, which was a poor way to set up that law. However, it only takes a couple till your business is in financial ruin.

Steph I think that you are missing your managers point. Maybe he is just being a jerk and trying to take you down but maybe he is trying to help you grow. It is fantastic that you produced $3000 in a week. But there are still families that you left behind if you did not get an answer from them. A lead is a family and possible sale until they tell you otherwise. $3000 in production off of 1 or 2 leads is good but if you got 40 leads that week you have 38 leads left. What about those other families? You might be appreciated more then you realize. He sees more in you then you see in yourself. That might be a good thing.

Zack

Most people appreciate a little slack for success. Now, if you're managing someone that hangs themself with slack, then you have to adjust for that person, but being a dick is unlikely to get great results. 40 leads and 2 sales in your example? I doubt she batted 2 for 2 and hung it up.

Most people appreciate a little slack for success. Now, if you're managing someone that hangs themself with slack, then you have to adjust for that person, but being a dick is unlikely to get great results. 40 leads and 2 sales in your example? I doubt she batted 2 for 2 and hung it up.

I totally agree. Anyone who thinks that by being a total ass to someone is being helpful by using that technique to motivate them needs to work on their people skills and has no place having a conversation with me.

I know people like that. When they "finish" with you and after you have left they usually get a big grin on their face and go tell someone about how much they "helped" you by destroying you. They even pride themselves in doing it and gloat about it. It is "fun" for them. If they can get the person to exhibit fear, tears ever, it makes it even more fun for them.

When I meet someone like that I want to help them take the first step in joining a castrati choir.

Just the thought of people like that makes me very angry.

Just so you know, I’m holding back. :D

The best way I have found to deal with someone like that is to show no emotion and say nothing while they are railing on you. When they are done simply say, "You may very well be right. Are you finished?", and then get up and walk out.

The guys who are real masters at doing that will remove all the chairs from their office except theirs so when the agent walks in expecting to sit down all the chairs are gone. This totally throws the person off balance and negates any argument they may want to express in their defense.

However, this technique can be very useful if you have to fire someone and expect the person to get very upset, angry even, when they find out they are being fired.

Back