Frustrated

Let's look at it this way:

If you are an independent agent, you have no managers. You are your own manager. The company you represent might have a manager, but you are not an employee of the company.

If you are an employee of the company, and you have a manager, unless you are under contract, you still do not have to listen or put up with them. You are an at will employee and are not required to do what they say. You have the choice. Granted there can and probably will be consequences, possibly termination, but that might not be a bad thing if it is a bad situation.

In either situation, you are really your own boss. You will make any and all decisions for yourself. Every decision you make will have a consequence, good, bad or indifferent. If you decide that you have had enough, then show up after meetings to turn in business. If they ask why you were not there, tell them that you didn't want to hear it. Here is my business and have a nice day.

My quote below I think says it best.

Running an agency:

*The best producers want to be left alone. They work and take off when they want. If you try to mic-manage them they'll eventuall blow out. These are the people who simply write business without a thousand questions and incessant "the leads suck" complaints.

*The worst producers are "needy." They need their hand held, constantly gripe and bitch and will not work unless micro-managed. They also lack self-drive and rarely write anything worth talking about before they quit. I compare these agents like my son when he was 1; walks great while you're holding him. Let me go and he falls on his face. Go ahead and get 10 or 15 agents like that and production goes in the toilet, you're not writing crap personally because you're babbysitting and your pay crashes and burns.

Zach you may have a good manager and any good manager knows who needs to be managed and who needs to be left alone. Everyone is different and has different motivators. A good manager tries to find out what motivates people. Is it money? Status? Incentives? Extra time off? Personally I am money motivated. If you want me to sell more of your product put more money on the table. But not everyone is. You may be one of those agents that is motivated by your status in the company or the respect of your managers. Everyone is different and everyone responds to things differently. And past experiences have alot to do with your reaction.

Latest posts

Back