generating referrals.

Linda - Good post. I am a fan of Gitomer. Like you said, seems like he is hopped up on Prozac, but still some great advise.

Just make sure that you mirror your client. If they talk slow, talk slow. If they are sitting with their arms folded, fold you arms for a while. That way your body language relates to theirs, and that will help create some connection. If you are over excited and they are mellow, they are not going to relate to you and may miss what you are saying.

Yes, Excellent points!! You have obviously perfected active listening, which is much more than words!

Just a note to you: I typed a half hour yesterday morning about your wonderful article you provided on MA plans on another thread. I hit enter and the whole damn thing deleted. :mad:

I was out of time. I will re-do it!

This would be a wonderful tool to provide to others who want to be competent in a product, but can't or don't wish to sell it. This document is wonderful!!

Linda

Last edited:
Linda - Good post. I am a fan of Gitomer. Like you said, seems like he is hopped up on Prozac, but still some great advise.

Just make sure that you mirror your client. If they talk slow, talk slow. If they are sitting with their arms folded, fold you arms for a while. That way your body language relates to theirs, and that will help create some connection. If you are over excited and they are mellow, they are not going to relate to you and may miss what you are saying.

Very good advice. Allow me to add a caveat. DO NOT TRY THE AFOREMENTIONED TECHNIQUES WITHOUT HAVING A BASIC UNDERSTANDING of Kinesics, listening skills, communication, and especially an understanding of the different type of personality types. The mimic technique does not work with everybody and if done incorrectly, makes you look like every Joe-Schmo who read about mirroring clients in Sales 103. Try mirroring an alpha male client with ADD and see if you get the sale. Now do the opposite in your communication and add little jolts of energy here and then and watch what happens. Get any book written by David J. Lieberman

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...aps&field-keywords=get+anyone+to+do+anything+

When meeting with clients face to face I think most of them appreciate when you dispense with the sales bull**** and simply get to the point.

Personally, I see it as a cue that you're offering an inferior product when you have to use all these "warm up" and sales tactics. When the product speaks for itself and the rates are competitive you can get in the house, introduce yourself, go over the product and rates and get out.

The real question is, would you really want the sale? He'll call you every day about something.....

Very good point! The "service" component is what I get paid to do. One of the key questions I ask everybody is, "What types of services do you expect me to do for you as your insurance agent?"

I do care about my clients very much and protect each of them as if they were family or a close friend. However, just like you need to set things straight with a family member sometimes, the same thing can be said about clients.

Very good point! The "service" component is what I get paid to do. One of the key questions I ask everybody is, "What types of services do you expect me to do for you as your insurance agent?"

I kind of do the same thing except I tell them what they can expect of me if they "hire" me as their agent. I let them know that they pay my "salary". That makes them my "boss", and if they don't like the job I am doing for them, I would expect them to "fire" me.

If you asked me that question, being a smart-ass, I would probably answer with things like cut my grass, take care of my critters...

I think it would be better to tell them what they can expect from you.

Since everyone likes to use "Acro Speak" so much, I have an additional Acronym for the list, ICS (Insurance Customer Service). Pretty soon words will no longer be necessary. :D

I kind of do the same thing except I tell them what they can expect of me if they "hire" me as their agent. I let them know that they pay my "salary". That makes them my "boss", and if they don't like the job I am doing for them, I would expect them to "fire" me.

Good point Frank. However, to be a smartass, I said that is one thing I ask, but I didn't say that is ALL I do :) It is more of an opener for me to gauge the client's understanding of how I earn my money, to gauge the thoughts on me at a particular point in the conversation and to understand their their expectations, if any, before I launch into the services I provide.

I prefer open-ended questions followed by a short discussion about the material presented. That really keeps me on track because I can ramble with the best of them and have to make a conscious decision to shut up and listen. Secondly, you can quickly determine the type of person you are dealing with and it makes for a more engaging conversation.

If you asked me that question, being a smart-ass, I would probably answer with things like cut my grass, take care of my critters...

HaHa, as long as I can use a riding lawnmower. My experience thus far has proven that many clients have no idea what "I can do for them" and that is ok, because I follow-up with something similar to you regardless of their answer. That is the part of selling myself.

I would agree if you are using communication skills to manipulate it can back fire. No matter what you do, if your intent is to hustle, I think it will eventually back fire!

But, using communication skills to help ease a new customer is the only kind thing to do.

Quite frankly, if someone comes on defensively, I do not mirror. I completely back off. I set back and try to reach them as a person. If I can't, why waste their time and mine with details of a product?

What I have found in learning about communication, is not a way to manipulate. It is a way to help better understand how I come across to people. And, to help make them more comfortable. It is called active listening.

Many of my clients have been alpha ADD males. Even more have been my peers in Sales!!;)

I find this person is a very loyal person, ...once he is certain he can trust me. This person loves my ability to simplify and organization. I think this person also likes the fact they do not scare me. It sends them the message they need to hear: You are a good person, too! Even if you are a pain the ass!!

Over the years I have had my feelings hurt by them, too. A few have from time-to-time forgotten that I am on their side. They can be very cruel. They must have a betrayal button pushed.

If I don't leave them, shortly they will realize how unfair they have been and that I deserved better. We will talk. I will not overlook what they did though. I make it very clear that it has deeply hurt me. ..Which it has. We will agree on how they can address this with me next time, if it ever comes up again.

If they are upset with me on something I did, I apologize and make sure they know what steps I have taken to make certain it does not happen again.

So, if you throw this person away, send them my way!

With this said, ...there are times people are toxic. They will drain you of your "life's blood," if you let them. I will not allow this in my life, or in my business. It is our job as a professional to know the difference.

I think being in the Senior market, they especially need our patience. They are told everyday that they must be aware there are those who will hurt them. I honestly feel so bad for them. Don't want to sound like a bleeding heart, but that is why I decided to concentrate in this market.

Linda

When meeting with clients face to face I think most of them appreciate when you dispense with the sales bull**** and simply get to the point.

Personally, I see it as a cue that you're offering an inferior product when you have to use all these "warm up" and sales tactics. When the product speaks for itself and the rates are competitive you can get in the house, introduce yourself, go over the product and rates and get out.

John, from talking to you and reading your wonderful posts, I think you might view this needed skill differently because you seldom do face-to-face cold selling. When you meet your client, ...if you do, their guard is pretty much down. They know what you have to offer them, because you have identified their need on the phone, which is much less threatening.

In B-to-B selling, this is a wonderful preferred way of doing business. Works for them and you. In the Senior market, in general, that is not the way it works best.

Linda

Back